Windows 10: Boot failure after removal of Win 7 HDD

Discus and support Boot failure after removal of Win 7 HDD in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I recently upgraded to Win 10 by installing it on a new SSD, leaving my previous Win 7 SSD intact. I also didn't remove the Win 7 SSD as I planned on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by grole00, Apr 28, 2019.

1. grole00 Win User

Boot failure after removal of Win 7 HDD

I recently upgraded to Win 10 by installing it on a new SSD, leaving my previous Win 7 SSD intact. I also didn't remove the Win 7 SSD as I planned on formatting it and using it for storage.

It all worked and it even recognized the Win 7 disk and gave me a dual boot option on startup.

Now I want to remove the Win 7 disk entirely, as I don't need the storage after all. Problem is, after removal, windows won't boot. I get the message "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"

I've tried the following:

- confirmed in bios that the Win 10 disk is the one booting

- plugged the Win 10 disk into its original SATA channel (as opposed to the channel for the removed Win 7 disk)

- ran startup diagnostic using the Win 10 disk - no errors found

So I don't know why it's giving an error. I should only need the Win 10 disk, as far as I know. In any case, plugging the Win 7 drive back in makes it boot as normal.

I wondered about formatting the Win 7 disk and booting that way, to maybe get windows used to not having two operating systems, but this might cause the same problem?

I want to avoid re-installing Windows with only the Win 10 disk installed in order to get around this. However, if that's the way it must go, another question: I wondered about getting a M.2 disk instead of the 2.5" SATA one in order to use it on a future Motherboard, and for now to use it with a SATA adapter. Is there any disadvantage to this, or will it perform similar to a regular SATA drive?

Thanks in advance!

:)

grole00, Apr 28, 2019

2. Help on triple boot: Ubuntu, Win 7, XP.

• [/quote] then run it Code: sudo gparted[/quote]
    • And you should see that the Windows 7 partition has a flag indicating that it is a boot partition, remove that flag;
    • Reinstall Windows XP on sda2 (now XP should install its loader on sda2 too);
    • Test if XP boots from GRUB;
    • After this restore the boot flag on the 7 partition and test all OSs;
    I remember doing something like this long time ago (Longhorn/Vista early days), but it was with two different HDDs so it was "kinda" easier.
    Good luck. Click to expand... I did exactly what you said and came up with the same results. It doesn't really matter, though. It's just a slight inconvenience that I can overlook. However, I will remember the steps and commands your provided me for future reference. I appreciate your time and effort in helping me with this matter. One last question. Is it possible to have the following OS'es: Windows XP, Windows 7, and Windows Home Server, all without conflicts?

GoFigureItOut, Apr 28, 2019
  3. temp02 Win User
    Help on triple boot: Ubuntu, Win 7, XP.

It errors at "missing NTLDR" because Windows XP boot loader wasn't installed on the partition with XP itself, so it relies on the Windows 7 loader. You might wanna do this:
    • Boot Ubuntu;
    • Run Code: sudo apt-get install gparted[/quote] then run it Code: sudo gparted[/quote]
    • And you should see that the Windows 7 partition has a flag indicating that it is a boot partition, remove that flag;
    • Reinstall Windows XP on sda2 (now XP should install its loader on sda2 too);
    • Test if XP boots from GRUB;
    • After this restore the boot flag on the 7 partition and test all OSs;
    I remember doing something like this long time ago (Longhorn/Vista early days), but it was with two different HDDs so it was "kinda" easier.
    Good luck.

temp02, Apr 28, 2019
  4. itsakjt Win User

Dual Boot Over 2 Hard drives Advice Please.

Steps
    1>Disconnect HDD and install Win 8.1 to SSD
    2>Disconnect SSD and install Win 7 to HDD
    3>Connect both drives, go to BIOS and select the SSD as primary boot device
    4>You should be able to boot to Win 8.1
    5>Download Easy BCD and add the Win 7 entry by selecting the proper partition of the HDD.

Should be a piece of cake. *Wink Boot failure after removal of Win 7 HDD ;)

itsakjt, Apr 28, 2019
Thema:

1. Boot failure after removal of Win 7 HDD - Similar Threads - Boot failure removal

2. Win 7 problem booting from hdd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 7 problem booting from hdd: When laptop starts booting the win 7 logo appears then the screen switches on bsod at one milisecond then the system recovery and start windows normally appears.As usual the recovery option doesn't do anything so i tried using win 7 installation and i used cmd to fix mbr and...
  3. Win 7 problem booting from hdd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 7 problem booting from hdd: When laptop starts booting the win 7 logo appears then the screen switches on bsod at one milisecond then the system recovery and start windows normally appears.As usual the recovery option doesn't do anything so i tried using win 7 installation and i used cmd to fix mbr and...
  4. Total Boot Failure After Removing Second SSD - Win 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Total Boot Failure After Removing Second SSD - Win 10: Windows 10: I have a primary disc for the OS and a secondary disc for just data or maybe not???. I took out the secondary disc in order to a bigger one in and rebooted. I got a boot failure and Windows automatically tried to repair the issue, but it failed. I then replaced...
  5. Total Boot Failure After Removing Second SSD - Win 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Total Boot Failure After Removing Second SSD - Win 10: Windows 10: I have a primary disc for the OS and a secondary disc for just data or maybe not???. I took out the secondary disc in order to a bigger one in and rebooted. I got a boot failure and Windows automatically tried to repair the issue, but it failed. I then replaced...
  6. Total Boot Failure After Removing Second SSD - Win 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. can I upgrade my windows 7 after HDD failure

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    can I upgrade my windows 7 after HDD failure: Split from this thread.IN MY OTHER PC MY PC HARD DISK HAVE DAMAGED. BUT THE MECHANIC HAVE SAVE MY DATA IN OTHER HARD DISK. I HAVE PURCHASE WINDOW 7 AND TIME TO TIME UPGRADE TO WINDOW 8 AND TO WINDOW 10. CAN NOW I UPGRADE MY WINDOW 7 TO WINDOW 10. BECAUSE MY ALL WORK DONE BY...
  8. Problems booting after removing HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Problems booting after removing HDD: My system has Windows installed on my SSD, but was previously installed on my HDD which i had formatted right after the transfer. Right now i am having some problems with my HDD, it not showing up on the BIOS menu and making weird noises. After this happened, i have been...
  9. Win 10 Home Single after HDD failure and reinstallation of OS

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 Home Single after HDD failure and reinstallation of OS: I was using a notebook with pre-installed Windows 10 Home Edition and upgraded to Pro edition, purchased on November, 8 2016. Because of virus problem, I wiped all the HDD, including partitions and installed back Windows 10. I logging with my Microsoft account for few days...
  10. How to dual boot Win 10 & win 7 after win 7 updated to win 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to dual boot Win 10 & win 7 after win 7 updated to win 10?: How to dual boot Win 10 & win 7 after win 7 updated to win 10? OK, maybe my title is confusing, but I am wondering if it is possible to first upgrade my present win 7 OS to win 10 than do a clean install of win 10, then dual boot with a fresh install of win 7 in a dual...