Windows 10: Boot failure and no Reset option

Discus and support Boot failure and no Reset option in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, After a browser crash, the OS froze and after a hard restart my laptop won't boot. It's a Lenovo IdeaPad 320 with 8GB RAM, and only a year and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Swonzee, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Swonzee Win User

Boot failure and no Reset option

Hello,

After a browser crash, the OS froze and after a hard restart my laptop won't boot. It's a Lenovo IdeaPad 320 with 8GB RAM, and only a year and 3 months old which I've used basically for web browsing and desktop publishing; so since this has happened without obvious warning I'm presuming this is not an HDD failure.

However, I've worked through all the Windows Recovery Environment 'Troubleshoot' menu options Startup Repair, System Restore, System Image Recovery, Uninstall Updates without success, and tried checkdisk, sfc and dsim through command prompt, none of which would work. I don't feel confident of trying anything else without doing damage. I don't understand enough to be able to work out what might be wrong...

This doesn't immediately follow an update, but i remember an update taking place fairly recently.

Three strange things that might contain a clue:

1. The 'Reset this PC' option is not available in the Recovery Environment menus, although I think I do remember seeing it in the early stages of trying to fix this problem. I haven't managed to successfully restart into Safe Mode, which I understand is a common problem with Windows 10.

2. In the early stages of this recovery loop, the Boot Manager menu would only show one option: EFI PXE. However, suddenly, after exhausting all the troubleshoot options, the Boot Manager menu started also showing 'Windows Boot Manager ST1000LM035-1RK172'. Selecting this just put me back in the Recovery Environment though.

3. I haven't switched out of UEFI into BIOS Legacy mode, because I don't understand the implications. When I first got the laptop, it displayed occasional messages about a BIOS setting being unsuitable, but i didn't understand what action it wanted me to take, and after some online investigation, failing to find any support from Lenovo, and the messages ceasing, i haven't done anything more about it.

I would be so grateful of some ideas about diagnosis and any suggested next steps. I am trapped and i have exhausted the limits of my ability here!

:)

Swonzee, Jun 13, 2020

2. Windows 10 reset failures. Computer won't boot now and getting frustrated.

Hi Alfred,

To help you with your concern regarding the reset failure, let me suggest you to do a startup repair. Kindly follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key
    • Hold Shift key then click Restart
    • You'll be prompted to the Advance Startup Options
    • Select Troubleshoot
    • Advanced options
    • Startup repair

Please let us know how it goes for us to assist you further.

Virfranz Man, Jun 13, 2020
  3. Josef Bri Win User
    Re: All boot options are tried...

Hi Elda,

If the boot sequence didn't work, then we suggest try running the laptop in safe mode. To do this, here's a few steps to follow:

• Power down your laptop.
    • Turn it back on again.
    • When you turn it back on, press F8 repeatedly until the power on option appeared.
    • If you see the boot option "Safe Mode with Networking", choose that option.
    • See if you can boot up in Safe mode.

We'll look forward to your response.

Josef Bri, Jun 13, 2020
  4. ram93 Win User

laptop doesnt boot automatically

This is what happened.

1. Did a repair install and later disabled hibertnate in CMD.
    2. Enabled legacy option ROM in BIOS.
    3. After a few times startup ( i used the system in such mode for 5 days), changed boot option back to default.
    4. Vola!! It boots automatically to win10 without any keypress. Tested it with many starts to confirm the same.
    5. Re-enabled hibernate option using CMD and later selected Fast Startup.
    6. System booted normally, without the need for any keypress.

I do not know exactly whether such steps resolved the problem or what else happened, hence cannot suggest above steps.

Many thanks to all members who helped to troubleshoot problems.

ram93, Jun 13, 2020
Thema:

1. Boot failure and no Reset option - Similar Threads - Boot failure Reset

2. Reset failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reset failure: I’ve just done a reset on my Laptop but the battery died when it got to about 55% and now I’ve plugged it back in it just switches on starts loading and then completely switches off again and it’s been doing this continuously now for a while how do I fit it please?...
  3. Reset failure

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reset failure: I’ve just done a reset on my Laptop but the battery died when it got to about 55% and now I’ve plugged it back in it just switches on starts loading and then completely switches off again and it’s been doing this continuously now for a while how do I fit it please?...
  4. Reset failure

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Failure to boot after Factory Reset

Failure to boot after Factory Reset: I recently obtained a PC tower from an acquaintance, but they failed to delete their information from it so I initiated a factory reset. The whole reset process took around 3 hours and after the PC itself reset, it has been stuck on the white wheel of spinning dots at the...
  6. Failure to boot after Factory Reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Failure to boot after Factory Reset: I recently obtained a PC tower from an acquaintance, but they failed to delete their information from it so I initiated a factory reset. The whole reset process took around 3 hours and after the PC itself reset, it has been stuck on the white wheel of spinning dots at the...
  7. Failure to boot after Factory Reset

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. TDR Failure, No BIOS option during boot, and cannot reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    TDR Failure, No BIOS option during boot, and cannot reset: Over the past few weeks, I have been having constant issues with my PC. The main one, the TDR failure, occurs while I'm playing video games CS: GO, GTA, etc..., and have seen a lot of people talking about there being issues with the drivers although I have fully uninstalled...
  9. TDR Failure, No BIOS option during boot, and cannot reset

TDR Failure, No BIOS option during boot, and cannot reset: Over the past few weeks, I have been having constant issues with my PC. The main one, the TDR failure, occurs while I'm playing video games CS: GO, GTA, etc..., and have seen a lot of people talking about there being issues with the drivers although I have fully uninstalled...
  10. TDR Failure, No BIOS option during boot, and cannot reset

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging