Windows 10: Boot files installing on HDD not SSD

Discus and support Boot files installing on HDD not SSD in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I wanted to make a clean installation of windows and format my ssd but didnt have a cd/usb to use. So I created a 12gb partition on my hdd and put the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/NeegzmVaqu1, May 25, 2020.

1. Boot files installing on HDD not SSD

I wanted to make a clean installation of windows and format my ssd but didnt have a cd/usb to use. So I created a 12gb partition on my hdd and put the windows files on it from the ISO. After installation however, windows is installed on the ssd but the same partition I used for the installation is the only one that can be used for booting. For example if I disconnect my hdd, i can no longer boot to windows. Also, when I go to disk management, the ssd is listed as boot and active and the 12gb hdd partition is listed as system and active, which leads me to believe that some system files needed for booting are only being installed on the hdd.

How can I install everything on the ssd without the boot files remaining on the hdd?

Also previously (before my clean reinstallation) my ssd had 2 partitions: one was around 400-500 mb system reserved and the other was the rest of 250gb.

submitted by /u/NeegzmVaqu1
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/NeegzmVaqu1, May 25, 2020
  2. Neox99 Win User

Changing Boot Drive from HDD to SSD

Trying to understand here.

Do you have Win-10 installed on a HDD and on a SSD?

If so are you asking how to get your system to boot from the SSD opposed the HDD?

If you don't get an option of seeing a boot option at the beginning of the BIOS process {mine is to press ESC to see boot menu] check with the manufacturer. There HAS to be a key which does that.

Another possibility is: If both drives are SATA just switch the cables and reboot.

Check your Configuration file and see if 2 OSs are listed.

As you can see here, I have mine set to dual-boot. Win-10 on a HDD and Win-7 on a SSD.

Boot files installing on HDD not SSD 9de35259-1592-4229-ac9e-131e1cbf3fba.jpg

Neox99, May 25, 2020
  3. neilpzz Win User
    Moved Windows 10 to SSD from HDD, no windows.old file in HDD

One thing to do is make sure the SSD boots without the HDD connected.

It is possible that as part of the clean install to the SSD a windows.old folder is created as the install process will install updates along with the installation. This folder relates to the SSD and not the HDD windows installation.

Id you are happy the SSD boots without the HDD then go ahead and reconnected the HDD and in File Explorer start to delete the files and folders on the HDD. There will be partitions on the HDD that you will not see in File Explorer, they are visible in Disk
    Management. Removing those will only free up a small amount of space however.

neilpzz, May 25, 2020
  4. felipe-ca Win User

Boot files installing on HDD not SSD

Windows will not boot from SSD after reformatting old HDD

hi Greg,

Thanks once again for your help!

so for some reason, my PC would not boot from my RAID if it was setup as RAID 5, I configured it with RAID 10 and I was able to install Windows on the RAID (SSD unplugged). I will move back to RAID 5 once I am able to boot from my SSD. Boot files installing on HDD not SSD :)

I installed Win10 on my RAID with SSD unplugged

Plugged SSD back in, booted from my HDD RAID and shrunk the SSD partition via Disk Manager.

Unplugged the HDDs and installed Win10 on the SSD unallocated space.

Dual boot now shows 3 boot options but I'm not sure why as I only have 2 partitions on the SSD and the HDDs are still unplugged. Windows Media is not able to repair the other 2 Windows boot options.

I cannot find \windows\System32\Logfile\Srt\SrtTrail.txt under any of the drives (C, D, E and X)

And booting from the other 2 gives the same error as before but with different error code:

The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors.

File: \\Windows\System32\winload.exe

Error code: 0xc0000000e

Now I need to somehow repair the boot environment on my old SSD partition. Would you have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Felipe.

felipe-ca, May 25, 2020
Thema:

Boot files installing on HDD not SSD

1. Boot files installing on HDD not SSD - Similar Threads - Boot files installing

2. How to boot windows from SSD but keep HDD files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to boot windows from SSD but keep HDD files: So I have ordered an SSD it didn't come yet and I wanted to know if i download windows on it and make it boot from the SSD will all my files ai. games, documents, files and that stuff will it still be on the desktop/will i be able to play them if the windows is booting from...
  3. How to boot windows from SSD but keep HDD files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to boot windows from SSD but keep HDD files: So I have ordered an SSD it didn't come yet and I wanted to know if i download windows on it and make it boot from the SSD will all my files ai. games, documents, files and that stuff will it still be on the desktop/will i be able to play them if the windows is booting from...
  4. How to boot windows from SSD but keep HDD files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. HDD/SSD Not Showing in Boot Sequence

HDD/SSD Not Showing in Boot Sequence: I use Dell Inspiron 15 5559SATA 3 HDDDue to some physical issues my SATA/HDD Connector's Lid is damaged... So I can't connect my HDD there. So I decided to setup Caddy in my laptop.My laptop have SATA 3 Connection in Optical Drive so Keeping that in mind I ordered a Caddy...
  6. HDD Required to boot SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HDD Required to boot SSD: I've installed windows 10 on a new SSD Samsung 870 EVO 1TB and it works just fine currently using it to create this post. However, my problem is that it seems that I need my old HDD to be able to boot the SDD. I want to set the SSD as the primary bootable device, but when I...
  7. HDD Required to boot SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDD Required to boot SSD: I've installed windows 10 on a new SSD Samsung 870 EVO 1TB and it works just fine currently using it to create this post. However, my problem is that it seems that I need my old HDD to be able to boot the SDD. I want to set the SSD as the primary bootable device, but when I...
  8. HDD Required to boot SSD

9. Cloned HDD onto SSD, managed to boot from SSD, formatted HDD, now SSD won't boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cloned HDD onto SSD, managed to boot from SSD, formatted HDD, now SSD won't boot: Full details - I bought a new Samsung SSD for my laptop, put it into the spare M.2 NVME slot, cloned my OEM installed SSD onto it using Samsung Data Migration, removed the OEM SSD, booted from the new one and it worked like a charm. Now, I tried to do the same thing with my...
  10. SSD and HDD boot sequence off

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD and HDD boot sequence off: I have a peculiar problem. I have a dell Inspiron 3521 laptop. It was running windows 10 as primary OS and Ubuntu as secondary with grub as boot manager. I got frequent BSODs so thought may be the HDD was dying so removed the HDD and replaced it with an SSD and did a clean...