Windows 10: Boot from a linux DVD

Discus and support Boot from a linux DVD in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Can someone give a simple method so I can boot from a DVD drive which has a linux DVD? I am not interested in having duel boot capability. 53972 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by larry316, Jun 20, 2016.

1. larry316 Win User

Boot from a linux DVD

Can someone give a simple method so I can boot from a DVD drive which has a linux DVD? I am not interested in having duel boot capability.

:)

larry316, Jun 20, 2016
  2. Ralf_G Win User

If I commit to Windows 10, will my available RAM increase?

and maybe go on to Linux

That's certainly an option but be prepared for the learning curve and geekspeak.

Luckily there are a number of "live" Linux versions that you can run from a DVD without actually having to install Linux on the computer. You would download a live Linux ISO file and burn it to a DVD, then boot directly into Linux from that DVD. You can
    at least get a good idea of what Linux looks and feels like to use, and at least some idea of how much and how well your various hardware devices are supported in Linux.

Live CDs - a way to choose your distro - KDE UserBase Wiki

Ralf_G, Jun 20, 2016
  3. tdug Win User
    Windows 10 update has broken my PC

Have a friend with a W8.1 DVD. Boot from the DVD and try to repair the OS.

Or boot from a Linux Ubuntu DVD or other (Linux Mint) and copy your documents onto another disk.

When your system is repaired, buy a dedicated USB key, build a reparation drive and save an image of your system onto the external disk. You'll be able to repair and restore both OS and data with it.

Secondary, do frequent backups of your data. Two is better than one.

4. swarfega Win User

Boot from a linux DVD

In short:

1. decide on which distro you want
    2. download the iso
    3. use a program like img burn to burn the iso to dvd
    4. reboot

swarfega, Jun 20, 2016
  5. larry316 Win User
    I have a DVD containing linux. I just want to know how to tell windows 10 on my toshiba to boot from the dvd. I tried to change the UEFI settings but none of them told me how to boot from a dvd. I am not a windows user. I use apple.

larry316, Jun 20, 2016
  6. swarfega Win User
    Usually thats controlled by the bios. On some machines you can press F12 after a reboot to change which drive to boot from

swarfega, Jun 20, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Insert Linux CD/DVD. Then, make sure you do either a restart from the power icon in Windows 10, or do a complete shutdown by holding down shift key when clicking shutdown from the power icon.

Then you want the second option here (From the Boot Device Menu (temporary setting)):
    How to boot your Toshiba PC from CD-ROM, LAN, or diskette

NavyLCDR, Jun 20, 2016
  8. larry316 Win User

Boot from a linux DVD

I tried several times but could not find a way to tell it to restart to a DVD

I did a complete shutdown while holding down the shift key.
    I tried to boot but I never saw any options, it just brought window10 up.
    I have a TOSHIBA Satellite C855D which is a laptop.

Thank you for your patience.

larry316, Jun 20, 2016
  9. wyldman68 Win User
    When your Laptop starts, start tapping the F12 key (especially when Toshiba splash screen appears), this will give you the boot menu to boot from DVD.

wyldman68, Jun 20, 2016
  10. larry316 Win User
    I still don't see any mention of a DVD
    Boot from a linux DVD [​IMG]

larry316, Jun 20, 2016
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    It's option 3. ODD stands for Optical Disc Drive. That's your DVD drive. If that doesn't work then the problem is that the DVD you made is not bootable.

NavyLCDR, Jun 20, 2016
  12. larry316 Win User
    It started reading but now I just get a blank screen.I have to quit for the day.

larry316, Jun 20, 2016
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

Boot from a linux DVD

Not all distributions of Linux work on all computers.

NavyLCDR, Jun 20, 2016
  14. Superfly Win User
    It's probably secure boot that's hampering progress - either turn that off or use an Ubuntu distro. like Mint.

Superfly, Jun 20, 2016
  15. larry316 Win User
    How do I turn off secure boot?

larry316, Jun 21, 2016
Thema:

Boot from a linux DVD

1. Boot from a linux DVD - Similar Threads - Boot linux DVD

2. Boot to linux OS from windows with a command

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot to linux OS from windows with a command: hello guys, i am using Windows 10 Version 21H1 19043.1023 i have also installed linux on my other drive, and i am using UEFI boot mode with fast boot enabled, i would like to know, can make any command shortcut that will reboot windows and boot to my linux os automatically ?...
  3. Booting from DVD on Lenovo computers?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Booting from DVD on Lenovo computers?: Can I boot my Levono computer from DVD? Apparently he wants to prevent me from installing a decent operating system on it. Bei Lenovo-Rechner von DVD booten?
  4. Boot from a DVD?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Boot from a DVD?: I got a new computer but when I put a bootable DVD it won't boot from it, it just goes back into windows 10? What can I do to make it boot from my DVD? 162249
  5. Boot from a DVD?

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot from a DVD?: How can I boot from a DVD? 162257
  6. How to remove Linux from a dual boot?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to remove Linux from a dual boot?: I currently have Windows 10 and Linux Mint installed, I want to remove Linux Mint. submitted by /u/captain_degenerate [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fr0hk9/how_to_remove_linux_from_a_dual_boot/
  7. booting linux from USB

in Windows 10 Customization
    booting linux from USB: Hey guys, i have the surface laptop 2, and i have been trying to boot linux from the USB but nothing works. i used Rufus and format the usb FAT32. i tried to boot on my other laptop Acer and it worked fine. should i turn off the security boot and TMP ? i tried to change the...
  8. Dual boot with linux: only linux boot

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Dual boot with linux: only linux boot: Hello, Well I'll sum up what I did so far: I had ubuntu + windows 10, was working fine but ubuntu was taking too much space on my drive. Deleted ubuntu partitions, gave the space back to windows, boot into the windows usb drive to perform the bootrec /fixmbr,fixboot...
  9. Boot from CD/DVD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Boot from CD/DVD: I need to run the gparted (Linux app) booting from the CDROM. Now I do not find the option for booting from CD/DVD in windows 10 any more. I have done it before, but it seems to have disappeared in Windows 10. Any Ideas? 59956
  10. Boot From USB/DVD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Boot From USB/DVD: I am so confused I don't know whether I'm coming or going. I want to install/dual boot Windows 10 with Windows 8, but with the tutorial, there's so much Win 7/Win 8, 8.1 included that I'm crosseyed! HP Pavilion g Series Windows 8.1 Pro laptop with BIOS, not UEFI. I want...