Windows 10: Boot from a USB SSD > BSoD "inaccessible boot device" on the same PC but not on another PC

Discus and support Boot from a USB SSD > BSoD "inaccessible boot device" on the same PC but not on another PC in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Another puzzling case in the long history of this mysterious BSoD: As a backup solution for a ThinkPad L480, W 10 Pro 1909 using Paragon FPM 17 RMB in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by mucmann, Apr 1, 2020.

1. mucmann Win User

Boot from a USB SSD > BSoD "inaccessible boot device" on the same PC but not on another PC

Another puzzling case in the long history of this mysterious BSoD:

As a backup solution for a ThinkPad L480, W 10 Pro 1909 using Paragon FPM 17 RMB in WinPE, a 1: 1 clone of the system disk SSD NVMe is created on a mobile USB SSD disk Samsung T5.

This USB-SSD-T5 is booted via the boot menu F12 / UEFI of L480, but the attempt leads to the above error. Trying to boot the same clone from a ThinkPad T440, W 10 Pro 1909 was successful.

BTW both ThinkPad systems are identical resp. UEFI/GPT.

Any thoughts?

:)

mucmann, Apr 1, 2020
  2. Ugo Lopez Win User

inaccessible boot device

Ciao,

here is a list of commone causes (and resolutions) of this BSOD:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/inaccessible-boot...

Please let me know if any of those worked for you.

Ciao

Ugo

Ugo Lopez, May 25, 2020
  3. mucmann Win User
    Boot from a USB SSD > BSoD "inaccessible boot device" on the same PC but not on another PC

Another puzzling case in the long history of this mysterious BSoD:

As a backup solution for a ThinkPad L480, W 10 Pro (1909) using Paragon FPM 17 (RMB in WinPE), a 1: 1 clone of the system disk SSD (NVMe) is created on a mobile USB SSD disk (Samsung T5).

This USB-SSD-T5 is booted via the boot menu (F12 / UEFI) of L480, but the attempt leads to the above error. Trying to boot the same clone from a ThinkPad T440, W 10 Pro (1909) was successful.

BTW both ThinkPad systems are identical resp. UEFI/GPT.

Any thoughts?

mucmann, May 25, 2020
  4. Boot from a USB SSD > BSoD "inaccessible boot device" on the same PC but not on another PC

BSOD inaccessible boot device

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are receiving inaccessible boot device BSOD on the PC. For further clarity on the issue, please respond to the questions below:

1. Are you aware of any changes made to the PC prior to which you weren’t facing this issue?
    2. What is the make and model of the PC?
    3. What happens when you try to boot the PC to Safe Mode?

Meanwhile, let’s try a couple of troubleshooting steps and see if we can fix the issue.

Rebuild BCD:

You can try rebuilding the BCD file manually and see if the PC boots fine.

1. Create a bootable media and boot the PC using the
      media.
    2. On the initial setup screen, select the language and other
      preferences and click on Next. (If you don't see the setup screen, your PC might not be set up to boot from a drive. Check your PC manufacturer's website for info on how to change your PC's boot order, and then try again.)
    3. Now, click on Repair your computer.
    4. On the System Recovery Options screen, select
      Troubleshoot> Advanced options > Command Prompt.
    5. Now type in the commands and hit Enter:

BOOTREC /FIXMBR

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

BOOTREC /scanos

BOOTREC /rebuildbcd
    6. Restart the PC.

Rebuild BCD Store:

I would suggest you to export and delete the BCD store and rebuild the BCD store. Refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Create a bootable media and boot the PC using the
      media.
    2. On the initial setup screen, select the language and other
      preferences and click on Next. (If you don't see the setup screen, your PC might not be set up to boot from a drive. Check your PC manufacturer's website for info on how to change your PC's boot order, and then try again.)
    3. Now, click on Repair your computer.
    4. On the System Recovery Options screen, select
      Troubleshoot> Advanced options > Command Prompt.
    5. Now type in the commands and hit Enter:

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup

c:

cd boot

attrib bcd -s -h –r

ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old

bootrec /RebuildBcd

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, May 25, 2020
Thema:

1. Boot from a USB SSD > BSoD "inaccessible boot device" on the same PC but not on another PC - Similar Threads - Boot USB SSD

2. BSOD inaccessible boot device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD inaccessible boot device: I keep getting the bsod for inaccessible boot device on my laptop. I can start up and use it normally for a certain period of time 5-15 min before it gives me the error message. I am not sure what to do. It also seems odd that I am able to use it as most people seem to not be...
  3. BSOD inaccessible boot device

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD inaccessible boot device: I keep getting the bsod for inaccessible boot device on my laptop. I can start up and use it normally for a certain period of time 5-15 min before it gives me the error message. I am not sure what to do. It also seems odd that I am able to use it as most people seem to not be...
  4. BSOD inaccessible boot device

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Unable to boot new SSD "Inaccessible Boot Device" error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to boot new SSD "Inaccessible Boot Device" error: I recently upgraded my HP Laptop with a Crucial P5 Plus 500GB PCI 4.0 NVMe SSD from a 250GB SATA M.2. The cloning appears to have been successful I have an SSD enclosure and can access all the old data files in the new SSD when I run it as an external drive from another...
  6. Unable to boot new SSD "Inaccessible Boot Device" error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to boot new SSD "Inaccessible Boot Device" error: I recently upgraded my HP Laptop with a Crucial P5 Plus 500GB PCI 4.0 NVMe SSD from a 250GB SATA M.2. The cloning appears to have been successful I have an SSD enclosure and can access all the old data files in the new SSD when I run it as an external drive from another...
  7. BSOD inaccessible boot device error

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    BSOD inaccessible boot device error: A couple of days ago I got the BSOD inaccessible boot device on my Windows computer after 2 years of problem free use. My only HDD is a SSD m.2 samsung 970 evo. When I list the volumes I have 3: Volume. Ltr. Label. ... Info Volume 0 C. reserved ... Volume 1 D ... Volume 2 E...
  8. BSOD inaccessible boot device

BSOD inaccessible boot device: Hey so i literally cant turn my pc on , i keep getting the bsod and i have tried everything , startup repair , tried repairing my pc with an usb that has windows 10 on it , tried system restore , uninstall the latest updates but i cant even uninstall them , none of them...
  9. BSOD - Inaccessible Boot Device

BSOD - Inaccessible Boot Device: Ok, I think I'm in a big doodoo now, really big. The rig is: Windows 10 1803 on an crucial ssd mx250 drive (ahcpi in bios), the latest dec 11 cumulative update was ready to be dowloaded, but has not been installed. Everything was fine, until I foolishly decided to follow...
  10. PC will not Boot from USB

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    PC will not Boot from USB: I know this is a very common problem but I still need help non the less. I recently purchased a PC at a garage sale (it actually turns on and displays the bios) that has and Intel core 2 duo 8GB of DDR2 ram all on a Intel Desktop Board DQ35JO. I recently put Windows 10 (x64...