Windows 10: Boot From USB/DVD

Discus and support Boot From USB/DVD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Just a thought and suggestion, Wyn. That must be a 350GB HD you have there. I see the C partition is 89% full. Must be a lot of pics and/or vids? If... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Wynona, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Wynona Win User

Boot From USB/DVD

Ummm, Hipsie, I think you're reading it wrong. I believe the HDD's 89% empty instead of full.

System seems to be around 89% full, but I ain't messing around in there.

Wynona, Oct 5, 2014
  2. Edwin New Member

If it's a test machine, get all your 'sacred' data off of it and 'wipe it clean', (format and delete everything), and start from scratch.

Boot From USB/DVD [​IMG]

Boot From USB/DVD [​IMG]

Edwin, Oct 5, 2014
  3. Wynona Win User
    Edwin, I'm not getting a whole lot of cooperation from this machine. So far, I'm not able to use "New" which has always been available to me before.

It's installing on C:\ right now, but I may try formatting that later because I have a whole lot of partitions I don't want.

Wynona, Oct 5, 2014
  4. Wynona Win User

Boot From USB/DVD

If I have to, I'll go get a brand new drive for it. I'll be near a Fry's in the next couple of days. *Smile

Wynona, Oct 5, 2014
  5. badrobot Win User
    Wynona, still no luck on that Partition Wizard?

Btw, I forgot to mention, you can only merge that unallocated partition with the partition directly to the left of it. You may not be able to convert it back to basic until you got rid of the 5th partition.

badrobot, Oct 5, 2014
  6. Tony K Win User
    "Oh I see it is!" said the blind carpenter as he picked up his saw and went. *Tongue

*Huh

"All is well now that I see your installing it on C:" also said the blind carpenter with his saw. *Biggrin

Tony K, Oct 5, 2014
  7. Wynona Win User
    Nothing yet, Robot. I downloaded, installed and registered it, but everything seems to be grayed out.

I found EaseUS and tried it too, but it wouldn't work either. It's probably something I haven't done because I'm not familiar with that kind of program.

What is really strange is that C:\ was still showing as 'dynamic', but Windows 10 installed on it. Wonder why it wouldn't install on the new partition; it said it couldn't because the partition is dynamic. Sigh . . .

Fry's has a 240 GB SSD for $109, so I may grab one of those. I don't generally stuff my computers with a lot of software I won't use and I save all my data to the external drives, so that should be enough space.

Wynona, Oct 5, 2014
  8. Wynona Win User

Boot From USB/DVD

Wynona, Oct 5, 2014
  9. Tony K Win User
    I hope there's no offense, Wyn. I bet you're frustrated. Just trying to make light of the situation. *Smile

Keep going. Persistence usually pays its dividends.

Tony K, Oct 5, 2014
  10. Wynona Win User
    Ha! If I were offended, I wouldn't have typed that old saw from my childhood, now would I?

I woke up this AM about 4:20 and couldn't go back to sleep, so I came in here to work on this mess. Surprisingly, I'm still wide awake, but when I lay me haid down, I do hope my brain shuts down.

Also, I really, really, really appreciate all the support I've been given.

Wynona, Oct 6, 2014
  11. Edwin New Member
    What's your status now, Wynona?

Edwin, Oct 6, 2014
  12. Wynona Win User
    Got it installed on the laptop's C:\ drive.

I haven't had too much time to look it over, since I had to build some nest boxes for my friend's and my new chickens. We've spent the past several months building a house and pen for chickens, and then before we were quite ready, seven Rhode Island Red hens and a rooster fell into our laps for free. Chickens are like computers . . . you just cannot turn down free ones!

Anyhoo, my first priority is to see if I'm able to set up the QuickLaunch toolbar in Windows 10. After that, I will need to check my partitions to see what's happened to those. And a few more things, as Windows says, "We're getting things ready for you."

One thing that upsets me with this laptop is that on bootup, "Press Esc for setup options" will only work every third, fourth or fifth time. Even if I hit the power button and immediately start pressing the Esc button. Every so often I have to just get up and walk away, which beats the alternative I'm tempted to perform. *Redface

Wynona, Oct 6, 2014
  13. Edwin New Member

Boot From USB/DVD

Awesome!
    At least you're "in"! Take your time snoopin around and enjoy! *Smile
    Keep us posted.

Edwin, Oct 6, 2014
  14. Tony K Win User
    Ok then. We're cause "hell hath no fury to a woman's scorn!"

And good you're loaded up and good to go! *Thumbs

Now may the sleep god be with you and your lappy! *Smile

Tony K, Oct 6, 2014
  15. Wynona Win User
    WooHoo! The good news is that QuickLaunch Toolbar is set up!

The bad news is that the partitions are all dynamic, except for the HP Tools drive, which is Fat 32 and basic. Go figure!

I'm going to wait until tomorrow when I'm a bit fresher to work very much on the drives.

Wynona, Oct 6, 2014
Thema:

Boot From USB/DVD

1. Boot From USB/DVD - Similar Threads - Boot USB DVD

2. Can't Boot From Windows 10 Install from USB/DVD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't Boot From Windows 10 Install from USB/DVD: Hi all, I currently have the "Your PC needs to be repaired" error so I'm trying to reinstall windows 10 completely. I used Microsoft's bootable media to create both a bootable USB and DVD (I also tried using Rufus to format it) but both don't seem to boot properly. When I...
  3. Boot from a DVD?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Boot from a DVD?: I got a new computer but when I put a bootable DVD it won't boot from it, it just goes back into windows 10? What can I do to make it boot from my DVD? 162249
  4. Boot from a DVD?

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot from a DVD?: How can I boot from a DVD? 162257
  5. Unable to Boot from HD, DVD or USB

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to Boot from HD, DVD or USB: I tried to restart my 'backup' PC , after a couple of weeks off , and got a message saying "The PC has run into a problem and we will restart it" It then says Preparing Automatic Repair before setting off into a repeat cycle, i tried to boot from a USB Recovery and a DVD with...
  6. New PC will not boot from USB or DVD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New PC will not boot from USB or DVD: I am building a new PC and, when I try to boot the machine from either a USB created by the Media Recovery tool, or from the proper Windows 10 DVD that I bought, the machine simply goes to BSOD and gives me error codes, mostly SYSTEM PTE MISUSE or PAGE ERROR FOUND IN...
  7. Booting from USB stick or DVD

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Booting from USB stick or DVD: Imagine a computer where W10 is running on an SSD. I have a USB stick and/or a DVD which contain a bootable version of W10 (probably made from Microsoft's Media Creation Tool). After a fault, the plan is that after tickling F12 (in my case) the above bootable version could be...
  8. Cannot set 'boot from USB DVD'

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot set 'boot from USB DVD': I have a new HP X360 14-ba151sa with Insyde BIOS. Yesterday I created a Macrium recovery disk, went into BIOS and moved USB CD/DVD to top of the list, F10 and exit. The system booted from DVD OK. Today, I wanted to boot from the DVD again, but this time the little arrow is...
  9. UEFI laptop, booting from DVD or USB fails

UEFI laptop, booting from DVD or USB fails: Hi On this new laptop which appears to have UEFI and Legacy BIOS settings, setting UEFI settings to boot from DVD or USB first in order to run a bootable format disc to preformat before a clean install has thrown an error message that ..."boot from [xx device] failed."...
  10. Can't boot from usb dvd

Can't boot from usb dvd: Hi Roomies @, I just upgrade to Win 10 PRO 1511 on my Lenovo laptop and burned a win 10 pro DVD. I would like to do a clean install but I'm not able to find my DVD drive on Bios or boot manager. Can someone please help me? Here are some images . [img] [img] [img]...