Windows 10: Boot from USB First Boot Blank SSD - Are Changes To the BIOS Necessary

Discus and support Boot from USB First Boot Blank SSD - Are Changes To the BIOS Necessary in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When notebook arrives I will be pulling the HDD platter before first boot and putting in a 2.5" SATA SSD and then booting from a USB stick that has the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by phaedruspress, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Boot from USB First Boot Blank SSD - Are Changes To the BIOS Necessary

When notebook arrives I will be pulling the HDD platter before first boot and putting in a 2.5" SATA SSD and then booting from a USB stick that has the bootable? install OS media created using the media creation tool. The video below indicates that I need to make changes to the BIOS first before the USB stick will engage. I thought that I would be just good to go by hitting F12 to bring up the boot menu and choosing the USB. In the video he is booting a disc up from an external CD/DVD player and he already has an OS installed. I will have no OS installed upon first boot and I thought that the BIOS would just "find" the USB stick and I would be on my merry way. Insight appreciated. TIA. P.S. I know that I have secure boot disabled on my other notebook but I cannot recall if I also had gone ahead and enabled both UEFI and LEGACY and if I did it was for purposes of something else and at the moment I do not particularly feel like shutting down and going into the BIOS to check : )

:)

phaedruspress, Nov 18, 2018
  2. DaveM121 Win User

New PC won't boot from installation USB key

Try going into your UEFI BIOS and perform the following:

• Disable Secure Boot
    • Enable Legacy Boot
    • If necessary/possible enable CSM
    • If necessary enable USB boot
    • Move your USB Flash Drive to the top of the Boot Order List
    • Save Changes and reboot . . .

DaveM121, Nov 18, 2018
  3. Pavan_N Win User
    Cannot dual boot or boot from usb/dvd.

Hi Bill,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and frustration you have been through. I will be glad to assist you.

1. Have you changed the boot priority to USB/DVD?

First you need to verify and if necessary change the boot order in the BIOS settings so that your PC will boot from the DVD drive (or USB device if you created a bootable USB Flash drive). You can do this by making the DVD drive / USB device the first device
    listed in the boot order and the hard (or SSD) drive your second device the BIOS, exit as save the BIOS changes.

I suggest you to follow the link suggested by J W Stuart on January 23, 2015.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-dual-boot-windows-7-and-

windows-10-preview/9e9b6066-d99b-4d2f-84dc-38e646c3c6ae

Keep us informed if the issue is resolved. We are glad to help you further.

Thanks

Pavan_N, Nov 18, 2018
  4. lacrumb Win User

Boot from USB First Boot Blank SSD - Are Changes To the BIOS Necessary

Cant change the boot up partition from the bios.

In the BIOS go to the Boot list and move the SSD drive to the top of the list. Also make sure the the System partition on the SSD has the drive as (C:\)

lacrumb, Nov 18, 2018
Thema:

Boot from USB First Boot Blank SSD - Are Changes To the BIOS Necessary

1. Boot from USB First Boot Blank SSD - Are Changes To the BIOS Necessary - Similar Threads - Boot USB Boot

2. Can't boot Windows, or boot Windows Repair from SSD or USB

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't boot Windows, or boot Windows Repair from SSD or USB: My computer isn't able to boot, but more worryingly, I also can't seem to get the Windows Automatic Repair to work. I also am not able to get Windows Repair from USB to work. When I try any of these options, I initially get a black screen with a cyan-ish Windows logo. After...
  3. Will not boot from usb

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Will not boot from usb: My computer no longer will boot from usb.Macrium rescue try to start then restarts to hard drive. the usb works on another computer. This is non uefi bios 111476
  4. No Usb devices detected on first boot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No Usb devices detected on first boot: When I first power up my system. Windows boot up fine (actually better than fine, it boots too quickly, just within some seconds) but do not detect any usb devices connected to the system including keyboard, mouse and bluetooth. Even lights of keyboard and mouse remains off....
  5. Can't change computer bios to boot from disc

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't change computer bios to boot from disc: I want to format and partition my hard drive and install a fresh copy of Windows 10 Problem: I can't change computer to boot from Drive instead of hard drive. When I restart and tap on excape or F9 F10 or F12 it just keeps coming up as a regular start booting from my...
  6. Cannot boot into BIOS with F2 or boot from CD or USB flash drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot boot into BIOS with F2 or boot from CD or USB flash drive: For some unknown reason, for the past couple of days, I can only boot my ASUS X750JA laptop normally into Windows 10 (Home). Previously, after Shift+Restart, I used to be able to enter BIOS setup with F2. Now, whenever I try this, the screen remains black and nothing happens:...
  7. Need help in changing BIOS settings from legacy boot to UEFI boot.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need help in changing BIOS settings from legacy boot to UEFI boot.: After running MBR2GPT on my system with a successful completion, I realized that I don't know how to change the BIOS from legacy to UEFI, resulting in the inability to boot the GPT'ed system. I was running Windows 10 Creator on an MBR system using an MSI H61M-E23 (version 2)...
  8. inquiry on how to change BIOs to boot from USB drive

inquiry on how to change BIOs to boot from USB drive: I would like to know if possible -how to change BIOs to boot from USB drive. I have already seen the option when login, option to resume normally or other..and in advanced options the list includes: sys restore sys image recovery startup repair command prompt UEFI...
  9. Booting from USB

in Windows 10 Support
    Booting from USB: I had never had my computer set to boot from USB but I created a bootable flash drive with Win 10 on it and wanted to try it. I set the BIOS boot options to try the CD drive first, then USB, and then the Hard drive. It booted fine but I have a question now. If I have a...
  10. Bios refuses to boot from SSD via add in card

Bios refuses to boot from SSD via add in card: Hi I have an old Alienware area 51 which I have upgraded to win10. I have two 500gb sata drives in raid 0 connected via motherboard the raid is via the onboard raid controller. I have installed a new ssd via an add in card. I have installed a clean install of win 10 on the...