Windows 10: Boot from usb hard drive?

Discus and support Boot from usb hard drive? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have an external hard drive that I use for backups. Is it possible to install Windows to the drive and then use it as an alternative boot drive? 133574 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tcebob, May 28, 2019.

1. tcebob Win User

Boot from usb hard drive?

I have an external hard drive that I use for backups. Is it possible to install Windows to the drive and then use it as an alternative boot drive?

:)

tcebob, May 28, 2019
  2. Lazzer408 Win User

Booting from USB on x38 Motherboard, NOT?

Typically the USB should be listed under the hard drive boot order. Set your "Boot Device Priority" to HDD first, then set the hard drive boot order to the USB stick first.

Boot from usb hard drive? bios_asus-jpg.jpg

Lazzer408, May 28, 2019
  3. John Vil Win User
    USB Hard Drives break boot

Hello Eric,

One possible reason why this issue occurs is when your BIOS boot sequence is set to boot from USB instead of hard drive. We suggest that you get in touch with your computer manufacturer for assistance on how to reconfigure your BIOS settings.

Thank you.

John Vil, May 28, 2019
  4. Sasqui Win User

Booting from USB on x38 Motherboard, NOT?

Solved

I realised that the USB drive has to be installed before going into the BIOS and selecting it as an option!

Sasqui, May 28, 2019
Thema:

1. Boot from usb hard drive? - Similar Threads - Boot usb hard

2. Wont Boot From A USB Drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Wont Boot From A USB Drive: I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this. But I have a PC with no OS on it and now it's in a boot loop. So I made a Bootable USB Drive of Windows 10 installation files on it. But my PC Boots to the USB then gets stuck and reboots making another boot loop. I can...
  3. Cannot boot from USB drives anymore since "fixing" hard drives.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot boot from USB drives anymore since "fixing" hard drives.: It had been over a year since I made a clone of my Windows 10 SSD drive, so I decided to update the backup. The backup is another SSD that's sitting on the shelf. I can unplug my current one, plug in the backup, and boot up with everything matching (installed programs,...
  4. New hard drive, cannot boot from USB

New hard drive, cannot boot from USB: Recently I made a thread about not being able to boot my computer. I decided to buy a new hard drive in case that one was failing, but still have made no progress. The problem is that whenever I try to boot from the USB, the Windows logo flashes for a second then I'm stuck on...
  5. New hard drive, cannot boot from USB

in Windows 10 Support
    New hard drive, cannot boot from USB: Recently I made a thread about not being able to boot my computer. I decided to buy a new hard drive in case that one was failing, but still have made no progress. The problem is that whenever I try to boot from the USB, the Windows logo flashes for a second then I'm stuck on...
  6. Macrium USB boot to clone hard drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium USB boot to clone hard drive: Am using Macrium personal free version;I find it a great product. I use it to clone my laptop hard drive to a spare hard drive connected via USB in case laptop hard drive fail. Well I had a failure the other day in the laptop hard drive. It could boot but was somewhat non...
  7. Macrium USB boot to clone hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Macrium USB boot to clone hard drive: Am using Macrium personal free version;I find it a great product. I use it to clone my laptop hard drive to a spare hard drive connected via USB in case laptop hard drive fail. Well I had a failure the other day in the laptop hard drive. It could boot but was somewhat non...
  8. Will using a blank hard drive and booting from USB work properly

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Will using a blank hard drive and booting from USB work properly: If I just formatted the drive to GUID, it has no partitions just unallocated space. Would hitting f12 when the windows logo pops up and booting from USB write windows 10 onto the hard drive submitted by /u/izzo444 [link] [comments]...
  9. Booting from USB Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Booting from USB Drive: When i boot up my computer i go to the boot menu and i try booting from my usb drive it doesn't work. My computer just ignores it and normally launches as if nothing happened. Could anyone help? Thank you...
  10. Booting from USB drive questions

Booting from USB drive questions: OK I have been trying for the last 2 days to boot from a usb drive on my computer, read some of the tutorials on how to do this method. Nothing seems to work so far. Been trying the recovery method, then choosing Advance setup. That works to the point of showing my choices,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. v02.58 c Copyright 1985-2007 American Megatrends Inc

2. windows 10 reboot from usb