Windows 10: Boot from usb hard drive?

Discus and support Boot from usb hard drive? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have an external hard drive that I use for backups. Is it possible to install Windows to the drive and then use it as an alternative boot drive? 133574 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tcebob, May 28, 2019.

1. tcebob Win User

Boot from usb hard drive?

I have an external hard drive that I use for backups. Is it possible to install Windows to the drive and then use it as an alternative boot drive?

:)

tcebob, May 28, 2019
  2. Lazzer408 Win User

Booting from USB on x38 Motherboard, NOT?

Typically the USB should be listed under the hard drive boot order. Set your "Boot Device Priority" to HDD first, then set the hard drive boot order to the USB stick first.

Boot from usb hard drive? bios_asus-jpg.jpg

Lazzer408, May 28, 2019
  3. John Vil Win User
    USB Hard Drives break boot

Hello Eric,

One possible reason why this issue occurs is when your BIOS boot sequence is set to boot from USB instead of hard drive. We suggest that you get in touch with your computer manufacturer for assistance on how to reconfigure your BIOS settings.

Thank you.

John Vil, May 28, 2019
  4. Sasqui Win User

Booting from USB on x38 Motherboard, NOT?

Solved

I realised that the USB drive has to be installed before going into the BIOS and selecting it as an option!

Sasqui, May 28, 2019
Thema:

1. Boot from usb hard drive? - Similar Threads - Boot usb hard

2. Unable to boot from USB Flash Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to boot from USB Flash Drive: I just tried to create a bootable USB stick for Macrium Reflect on my Dell AIO. The creation went smoothly as did the boot. When I took that stick to my Acer Laptop and tried to boot it I got a message saying, "Remove disk or other menu" followed by "Press any key to...
  3. Brand new hard drive, unable to boot off of USB drive.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Brand new hard drive, unable to boot off of USB drive.: Built a new computer with a WD SSD and tried to install/boot windows. I am now stuck in the boot cycle. I am using a brand new Windows boot USB purchased from Best Buy yesterday afternoon. The below error message is what I keep getting no matter what options I choose and the...
  4. USB hard drive SAMSUNG!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB hard drive SAMSUNG!: Hello guys. I have a little problem here -> So ill moved my folders from windows 10 to usb hard drive disk like 2 weeks ago, then i reinstalled windows 10 all good everythink work fine. Now i noticed that one folder have that lock picture on it and the problem is that i...
  5. Cant boot hard drive!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cant boot hard drive!: So I had an old system but it was in very good shape so I thought I would transfer my old hard drive into my father's system....we were trading systems so we swoped the hard drive out and I put mine in his....but I went to boot it up and it pops up with reboot and select...
  6. external usb hard drive

external usb hard drive: Can i install windows 10 on an external USB hard drive? If so, how? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-usb-hard-drive/9631ecc3-3373-4174-8b01-818623bd5c4f
  7. Booting from USB Drive

Booting from USB Drive: When i boot up my computer i go to the boot menu and i try booting from my usb drive it doesn't work. My computer just ignores it and normally launches as if nothing happened. Could anyone help? Thank you...
  8. Booting from USB drive questions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Booting from USB drive questions: OK I have been trying for the last 2 days to boot from a usb drive on my computer, read some of the tutorials on how to do this method. Nothing seems to work so far. Been trying the recovery method, then choosing Advance setup. That works to the point of showing my choices,...
  9. Booting from USB

in Windows 10 Support
    Booting from USB: I had never had my computer set to boot from USB but I created a bootable flash drive with Win 10 on it and wanted to try it. I set the BIOS boot options to try the CD drive first, then USB, and then the Hard drive. It booted fine but I have a question now. If I have a...
  10. Unable to boot from Win 10 from hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to boot from Win 10 from hard drive: I recently obtained an HP pavilion desktop pc loaded with Windows 7 which I upgraded to 10. All was going well and everything loaded ok but was having problems with Edge so I decided to do a complete restore from the settings which it didn't complete and said there was a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 reboot from usb