Windows 10: boot from USB to boot from NVMe?

Discus and support boot from USB to boot from NVMe? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; tl;dr: My 3rd gen Thinkpad X1 Carbon has a NVMe M.2 slot for a SSD and can read and write from it, but due to an exclusivity agreement with Samsung... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by FuturDreamz, May 12, 2021.

1. boot from USB to boot from NVMe?

tl;dr: My 3rd gen Thinkpad X1 Carbon has a NVMe M.2 slot for a SSD and can read and write from it, but due to an exclusivity agreement with Samsung (who failed to honor it anyways) the BIOS refuses to boot from NVMe drives (on older firmware versions you could glitch the computer into booting but they patched that out). I have a 1TB NVMe SSD I would like to use in it. It seems a working solution is to install Clover (used to boot Hackintoshes) onto a USB drive then boot that and get it to boot the SSD, but for the life of me i can't get it to work - my attempts just give a screen where the top half is black and the bottom half is static. Is there an alternative bootloader i could use, or could I put the Windows bootloader on the USB drive?

:)

FuturDreamz, May 12, 2021
  2. D-rock Win User

Help with USB Boot Image

I am trying to boot from my USB flash drive. I followed the instructions step for step that are in the article on this website. I downloaded the HP program and the USB Image zip file. I ran the HP flash program and pointed it to the folder where I unzipped the USB Image files to. I then copied all the files over to the USB memory stick as instructed. When I restart my computer and press F12 to go to the boot menu I have 3 options: SATA hard drive, CD-ROM drive, or USB Device. So I choose USB device and when it reads the USB memory stick all I get is the error "Non-system disk, replace and hit any key" Its like the USB memory is missing some system files or it doesnt have the master boot record or something. Somebody please HELP!!! I want to flash the bios in a new video card and I have to boot to DOS and I dont have a floppy drive and I have Win XP so a USB boot is probably the best option I have.

D-rock, May 12, 2021
  3. Lazzer408 Win User
    Booting from USB on x38 Motherboard, NOT?

Typically the USB should be listed under the hard drive boot order. Set your "Boot Device Priority" to HDD first, then set the hard drive boot order to the USB stick first.

boot from USB to boot from NVMe? bios_asus-jpg.jpg

Lazzer408, May 12, 2021
  4. Sasqui Win User

boot from USB to boot from NVMe?

Booting from USB on x38 Motherboard, NOT?

See sys specs... ASUS ROG x38 motherboard, flashed to x48 Rampage.

In BIOS under "Boot Device Priority", I select and of the 3 boot device slots, and no where do I find an option for USB, these are the only options in each:

• 1st floopy drive
    • HDD: P0-WDC WD2500KS
    • ATAPI CD-ROM
    • Disabled
    Is there a place in the BIOS to enable boot from USB?

It's AMI, says v02.61 on the BIOS screen

Sasqui, May 12, 2021
Thema:

boot from USB to boot from NVMe?

1. boot from USB to boot from NVMe? - Similar Threads - boot USB boot

2. Booting from an external nvme ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Booting from an external nvme ssd: So i have a nvme m2 usb drive that i have Ubuntu on, and have successfully booted into on windows on my main computer.However i need to do it on my laptop and this seems to be a problem. I don't know why but i just cant seem to. I disabled secure boot, i tried it through usbc...
  3. Booting from an external nvme ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Booting from an external nvme ssd: So i have a nvme m2 usb drive that i have Ubuntu on, and have successfully booted into on windows on my main computer.However i need to do it on my laptop and this seems to be a problem. I don't know why but i just cant seem to. I disabled secure boot, i tried it through usbc...
  4. Booting from an external nvme ssd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Boot from USB

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Boot from USB: Hi All, I was flowing a thread from DaveM121 in regards to booting from USB, every step worked until I got to a certain point, does anyone know how I can contact DaveM121 for help? The thread was excatly what I needed help with so I’m sure he will be able to supoort me...
  6. Booting From USB

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Booting From USB: Hi there, i have a Lenovo Ideapad that i need to factory reset. I don't want any of the files or personal things that are on there, i try to reset and i don't have enough free storage to reset. Apparently i need an extra 3.32GB to reset. Anyway i was told to reinstall windows...
  7. No boot from USB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No boot from USB: W10 boots normally, but the ability to boot from USB has quit, returning "Not Found" failures in the UEFI. I noticed this yesterday, soon after installing Intel graphics update, and removal of 2 Linux GRUB entries ( debian and ubuntu folders) from the EFI. Will a "Sys...
  8. No boot from USB

in Windows 10 Support
    No boot from USB: W10 boots normally, but the ability to boot from USB has quit, returning "Not Found" failures in the UEFI. I noticed this yesterday, soon after installing Intel graphics update, and removal of 2 Linux GRUB entries ( debian and ubuntu folders) from the EFI. Will a "Sys...
  9. Boot From USB

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Boot From USB: If I boot Windows 10 from a USB on my Windows 10 pc, will the computer know/log the fact that I booted from USB? submitted by /u/TwoDots18 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/euqiy9/boot_from_usb/
  10. Booting from USB

in Windows 10 Support
    Booting from USB: I had never had my computer set to boot from USB but I created a bootable flash drive with Win 10 on it and wanted to try it. I set the BIOS boot options to try the CD drive first, then USB, and then the Hard drive. It booted fine but I have a question now. If I have a...