Windows 10: Boot into safe mode question

Discus and support Boot into safe mode question in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hey guys and Gals, I have a weird question for you. I have window 10 pro and tried to boot into safe mode command prompt but it wont accept my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Grendor, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Grendor Win User

Boot into safe mode question

Hey guys and Gals,

I have a weird question for you.

I have window 10 pro and tried to boot into safe mode command prompt but it wont accept my password.

So I held down shift and restarted and got to command prompt option.

System rebooted fine and then it asked me for my password.

I entered it several times but it would not work.

So I had to reboot and go back into windows.

Does 2 factor authentication prevent me from booting to safe mode command prompt with password?

If so how do I get around that?

Reason I need safe mode is SFC /scannow foubd some corrupt files but running from normal elevated command prompt would not fix them.

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance

Gren

:)

Grendor, Aug 26, 2019

2. Stuck in safe mode

Hi,

There are several methods available on how you can get your computer booted in safe mode and also booted back to normal mode. Some steps include changing the startup settings or manually pressing a key. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions
    below:

• What steps did you take to get your device in safe mode?
    • Have you attempted to reboot your device?
    • What was the reason that you needed to boot your device into safe mode?

We look forward to your response to our queries.

Jordan Dom, Aug 26, 2019
  3. Can't boot into Normal/Safe Mode with Networking, only safe mode...

Good Evening,
    I could do with some pointers on resolving an issue. I can only boot into windows in safe mode in Windows 10. Normal mode and safe mode with networking doesn't work. The problem occurred after a windows update. I have removed the latest updates that were installed and cleared any pending ones but it still won't boot properly. I have also run the troubleshooter and tried to recovery to an earlier date which also doesn't work.
    The laptop is a HP ENVY 17 notebook. At boot it just gets to the HP logo with the circular loading icon and no further and can only boot it into safe mode. Can anyone recommend the next steps? I have also tried the following;

• stopping startup items
    • uninstalling hardware drivers
    • removing recent software
    • running troubleshooters at boot
    • sfc scan
    • diagnostic/selective startups with minimal services running
    Would the fact that I cant boot into Safe Mode with Networking imply its a network driver related issue?
    Bit of a dead end really, any help would be much appreciated
    Kind regards
    Trevor

trevstonbury, Aug 26, 2019
  4. Boot into safe mode question

Question about password in Safe Mode

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. We regret the inconvenience caused.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• Are you not able to login into the PC or the Microsoft Account using a browser?
    • Did you check in Safe mode with Networking?

The On-screen keyboard is located in the Ease of access center located at the bottom left corner of the lock screen. It acts as a temporary keyboard in-case your keyboard does not work.

Check if you are able to login by typing the password using on-screen keyboard by following the steps below:

• Click on the Ease of access icon located on the bottom right corner of the screen.
    • Select on-screen keyboard option and type the password.

After entering the password and before pressing Enter,
    click on the icon adjacent to where you typed the password and check if you have entered the right password.

Method 1: Boot your PC in Safe mode with networking
    by following the steps from the link below and check if you are facing similar issue.

Safe mode is a diagnostic mode that starts your computer with limited drivers necessary to run Windows. The words
    Safe Mode appear at the corners of your monitor to identify which Windows mode you are using.

Expand the options to boot into Safe Mode:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

To exit from Safe mode follow the steps below:

• Open Run command by pressing Windows key + R
      on the keyboard and type msconfig in the command box.
    • Under Boot tab uncheck the Safe boot
      option.
    • Reboot the system and check if the changes are effective.

To know more about Safe mode, following is an article on
    Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode) (Applies to Windows 10 also):

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-safe-mode

Method 2: If you are unable to login and is using Microsoft account to enter the user profile, I suggest you to use another PC to reset the password from the link below and check if the issue is resolved.

https://account.live.com/password/reset

Write back to us with the status of the issue for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Aug 26, 2019
Thema:

Boot into safe mode question

1. Boot into safe mode question - Similar Threads - Boot safe mode

2. Windows 10 will boot in safe mode but not safe mode with networking

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 will boot in safe mode but not safe mode with networking: Have a PC which won’t boot into windows 10. Was working until recently. It hangs on the windows loading screen.I can reboot into safe mode fine but I want to save files to usb as a backup. Many are one OneDrive so won’t allow me to do this. If I boot into safe mode with...
  3. Problem booting in safe mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem booting in safe mode: Hello I have a dell laptop running windows 10 it was running really slow so I run the repair utility on it and now it won’t start it keeps looping to the repair utility I really need to boot it up just to get data off it please help...
  4. Problem booting in safe mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Problem booting in safe mode: Hello I have a dell laptop running windows 10 it was running really slow so I run the repair utility on it and now it won’t start it keeps looping to the repair utility I really need to boot it up just to get data off it please help...
  5. Unable to boot safe mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to boot safe mode: So I’ve tried to boot safe mode to remove some files but whenever I got pass the restart now, it boots up, spins for a second and the screen remains black, I use boot camp so from my Touch Bar I know my laptop is running. What should I do?...
  6. Boot in Safe mode

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Boot in Safe mode: I got stuck in safe mode , when i tried to choose any option from troubleshoot it ask me for the password and i am entering the right password it is not accepting my password and its not booting my laptop with network mode , i have done couple of things thatis already on...
  7. Boot in safe mode not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Boot in safe mode not working: I just tried to upgrade my newly built pc to the latest version on windows in order to install some drivers. However, when it finished, my user profile was corrupted and i was unable to log in. Going off of online tutorials to solve this, they all say to boot in safe mode....
  8. Cannot boot into safe mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot boot into safe mode: Hello. When I turn my computer on, it tells me it has run into a problem and needs to restart. It gives me this error code: BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO it then restarts and attempts to self-repair and invariably fails. I have tried all methods of booting into safe mode available...
  9. Safe mode boot question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Safe mode boot question: So I went to safe boot my computer to install some new gpu drivers and my pc screen has gone black the last 5 mins and isn’t changing and my pc is still running so I don’t know what to do. Can someone help? submitted by /u/lensiky [link] [comments]...
  10. Booting up in safe mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    Booting up in safe mode: Not sure if F 5 or F 8 works anymore I can't get the system to boot up in safe mode. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/booting-up-in-safe-mode/17b87b6c-1dd6-451d-83c6-883be459f360