Windows 10: Boot is stuck on "Repairing Disk Errors"

Discus and support Boot is stuck on "Repairing Disk Errors" in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Sorry if this is the wrong subforum.., it wasn't obvious to me that any of the others were more appropriate in another thread i referred to a laptop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jgf60, Dec 12, 2019.

1. jgf60 Win User

Boot is stuck on "Repairing Disk Errors"

Sorry if this is the wrong subforum.., it wasn't obvious to me that any of the others were more appropriate

in another thread i referred to a laptop that will not boot - but here, i am hoping i can find a way to get it to boot without reformatting the SSD and reinstalling the OS.

The laptop is a Dell Latitude E7470 i7 running Windows 10 Pro - just out of warranty...

The history of the problem is this:

some time ago, i started it up and got a "no bootable media" message. without trying anything else, i unplugged the SSD and plugged it back in. the machine booted fine, and has run fine for the last 10 months or so.

then, a few days ago, i got the same error message: no bootable media, but that fix did not work this time.

then, i started getting a different error message - something about looking to boot over a network.

The SSD is fine - i can read it with a USB adapter on another computer.

next, after googling a bit.., i got into the bios and switched the boot mode from Legacy to UEFI

now, when i restart, i go into basically an endless "repairing disk errors" loop.

i can get to the restore from backup option, but it says i don't have any backups.

Is there anything I can do to get this working again?

Thanks

:)

jgf60, Dec 12, 2019

2. Repairing disk error

Hi Steve,

This issue might caused by a failing drive. For us to isolate the issue, kindly answer the following questions:

• Which Windows build and version do you have?
    • Have you made any changes to your computer prior to this issue?
    • Which troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Meanwhile, you can also refer to Wungraileng Vashi's answer on this thread that was found helpful by 65 people:

Windows 10 - Stuck on "Repairing disk errors. This might take over an hour to complete."

Let us know your response.

Janeane Cru, Dec 12, 2019
  3. windows 10 stuck on repairing disk errors for hours

Hi,

We suggest you to repair your system using Windows 10 installation USB media and check if it corrects the problem.

Follow these steps:

• Disconnect all non-essential devices that might attached to your computer, Windows setup might be trying to detect them.
    • If you connected to a network, disconnect this also.
    • Download the Windows 10 ISO on a working computer and perform a startup repair:
    • Click here to download the official ISO media for Windows 10.

After creating the USB installation media for Windows 10, follow the steps below:

• Insert the installation USB drive and boot Windows 10 from it.

• In the ‘Windows setup’ page select the ‘language to install’, ‘Time and currency format’ and the ‘keyboard or input method’ and click on ‘next’.

• Click on ‘Repair your computer’ and select ‘Troubleshoot’.

• Click on ‘Advanced options’ and select ‘Startup Repair’ and select the operating system.

Hope this helps. Do get back to us should you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Armand Cos, Dec 12, 2019
  4. Boot is stuck on "Repairing Disk Errors"

Error: "repairing disk errors. this might take over an hour to complete uploading" while trying to upgrade to Windows 10

Hello Tina,

We appreciate your interest in Windows 10. As upgrade to Windows 10 stuck at "repairing disk errors" do not worry we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the complete error message/ error code of this issue?
    • Which was the previous operating system you were trying to upgrade from?

This error might have occurred due to bad sector in the hard drive. Try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to unplug all the external devices connected to your computer, hard reboot the device (force shut down the PC by holding power button).
    Wait for 30 minutes, then Power On to see if it rolls back.

If so complete the steps from this article to avoid hurdles from the previous install:

Overcoming Windows 10 Upgrade and Version Update Failures

If that does not help,

Step 2: I suggest you to use the installation disk of previous operating system and perform a startup repair after doing a forced shutdown.

Perform the Startup Repair:

• When your computer starts, wait for the manufacturer logo to check the option for boot menu, it will usually be
      F12.
    • The boot menu key might differ with each manufacturer. If you are unable to find the boot menu key, you may refer the user manual.
    • Restart the computer, when the manufacturer's logo is displayed, keep pressing the
      Boot menu option key to enter the boot menu and change the boot option to
      CD\DVD ROM.
    • After you boot your computer using previous operating system disc, a black screen appears with gray text "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD". Press any key.
    • Select the correct time and Keyboard type.
    • Click Repair your computer in the lower left corner
    • Click on Troubleshooting, advanced option and then click
      Startup Repair.

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Dec 12, 2019
Thema:

Boot is stuck on "Repairing Disk Errors"

1. Boot is stuck on "Repairing Disk Errors" - Similar Threads - Boot stuck Repairing

2. Repair Disk Error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Repair Disk Error: I have a HP laptop, windows 11. Today I got an Intel Display update on my device which i installed after that the whole issue started..Just as the installation was completed, there was an error which said something like "can't display image" and only a half of my taskbar was...
  3. Repair Disk Error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Repair Disk Error: I have a HP laptop, windows 11. Today I got an Intel Display update on my device which i installed after that the whole issue started..Just as the installation was completed, there was an error which said something like "can't display image" and only a half of my taskbar was...
  4. Stuck on disk repair

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Stuck on disk repair: 10 days ago, my computer crashed and I wasn't able to log in in any way, I had to have it serviced, and they found that Microsoft had sent a corrupt file in their update while I slept, rendering my user corrupt. They had to set it back to factory settings, and gave me a clean...
  5. Windows 10 Won't boot.. Repairing disk errors

Windows 10 Won't boot.. Repairing disk errors: I have a Toshiba Satellitle i7 Windows 10 wont start first showing automatic repair then, "Repairing disk errors. This might take over an hour to complete"... and nothing happens over 4 hours. I cannot even get into advance settings or command prompt even when I press F2,...
  6. Repairing disk error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Repairing disk error: Please hepl me i have wait 7 hours and nothing happen It say repairing disk error[IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/repairing-disk-error/0322ac0a-f69a-45b4-8769-387bcf189da9
  7. Repair Disk Won't Boot with Non-System Disk or Disk Error

Repair Disk Won't Boot with Non-System Disk or Disk Error: Repair Disk won't boot with "Non-System Disk or Disk Error. Replace and press any key when ready." I have tried two different DVD/ROM drives installed on my Gateway desktop - and three repair disks. The repair disk is the only way to re-format the C drive before restoring...
  8. Creating repair\boot disk

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Creating repair\boot disk: I lost my boot disk and am trying to create a new one on this Dell computer to transfer to my Lenova. Suggestions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/creating-repairboot-disk/5624f3e1-91ee-4dde-bd35-d909ebdaed96
  9. repairing disk errors

repairing disk errors: how long should it take to repair disk errors on a Lenovo laptop! So far it has taken 3 hours and is still saying repairing disk errors. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/repairing-disk-errors/46b45c4b-9fb2-424b-bba5-ee42afcfc024
  10. Laptop stuck at "Repairing disk errors" Any help?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop stuck at "Repairing disk errors" Any help?: Hi! My laptop is stuck on "Repairing disk errors. This might take over an hour to complete." This screen popped popped up a couple of days ago, and has not gone away since. The laptop is kinda old, so problems were expected, but i can't seem to find a solution for this one....