Windows 10: Boot issue after a clean installation of WIN10 on older computers with 'Legacy' BIOS-mode.

Discus and support Boot issue after a clean installation of WIN10 on older computers with 'Legacy' BIOS-mode. in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have a tip that might help people having issues with a clean installation of WIN10 on older computers. I did a clean install of WIN10 on a HP Probook... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Martin Pollefeyt, Sep 15, 2022.

1. Boot issue after a clean installation of WIN10 on older computers with 'Legacy' BIOS-mode.

I have a tip that might help people having issues with a clean installation of WIN10 on older computers. I did a clean install of WIN10 on a HP Probook 4740s tablet because it was becomming extremely slow. Everything went well until I rebooted the machine. It didn't start up anymore. I had no clue what caused this so I contacted HP. Changing the BIOS 'Legacy' setting into 'UEFI' solved the issue. For one reason or another WIN10 has to be booted in 'UEFI'-mode.

:)

Martin Pollefeyt, Sep 15, 2022
  2. slance310 Win User

Difficulty setting BIOS to boot in Legacy mode

Hi,

I read that from your previous link...

That's why I was thinking that a wiped HDD might give a different outcome with the BIOS...

Same reason to try doing a Clean Install with a Flash Drive specifically for Legacy Bios... To see if the Legacy\ Secure Boot issue can be forced to change...

Be sure to have all other HDDs and iOmega stuff unhooked...

I am trying to force something to work on my machine by using a UEFI Flash, as opposed to the Legacy Flash I suggested you try...

I'm trying to boot off of a PCIe based SSD, and my Bios is not recognizing it in Legacy... Not even showing in Bios at all, even though it works fine for Data storage...

slance310, Sep 15, 2022
  3. Difficulty setting BIOS to boot in Legacy mode

I tried all that is suggested by HP but it makes no difference, the Legacy mode simply refuses to stay put. I always ensure that the settings are confirmed before exiting the Setup but that's just it ... the machine always goes back to Secure Mode. Annoyingly,
    prior to the iOmega software being installed and the consequential failure to boot, I could set the PC to boot into Legacy mode with no problem if I chose to.

Watchman-34, Sep 15, 2022
  4. slance310 Win User

Boot issue after a clean installation of WIN10 on older computers with 'Legacy' BIOS-mode.

Difficulty setting BIOS to boot in Legacy mode

Hi,

It is possible that Win 8 didn't have that EFI partition, but it probably did...

If it did not, and you upgraded to Win 10, it would not have been added...

A clean install is a different animal, especially if your machine was set for UEFI when you did it... If you could set the machine to legacy for instance, it is doubtful that the EFI partition would be there...

Btw... if you get the chance, look to see if your BIOS has a setting concerning "CSM" or similar... It would probably be in the same area where you select Legacy...

Here is a note I found concerning that setting...

Quote...

The UEFI boot manager is able to load legacy BIOS environment using the Compatibility Support Module (CSM). This module is able to emulate
    legacy BIOS environment and allow booting legacy operating systems or new operating systems which were installed without UEFI boot loader

slance310, Sep 15, 2022
Thema:

Boot issue after a clean installation of WIN10 on older computers with 'Legacy' BIOS-mode.

1. Boot issue after a clean installation of WIN10 on older computers with 'Legacy' BIOS-mode. - Similar Threads - Boot issue clean

2. Network Computer visibility after Win10 clean install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network Computer visibility after Win10 clean install: Hi,I recently did a clean install of Windows 10 build 19044What I encountered was that neither the network computers nor storage was listed when viewed with File Explorer > My PC. Only the media devices were listed under Network Locations.I googled the problem extensively and...
  3. Boot issue after a clean installation of WIN10 on older computers with 'Legacy' BIOS-mode.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Boot issue after a clean installation of WIN10 on older computers with 'Legacy' BIOS-mode.: I have a tip that might help people having issues with a clean installation of WIN10 on older computers. I did a clean install of WIN10 on a HP Probook 4740s tablet because it was becomming extremely slow. Everything went well until I rebooted the machine. It didn't start up...
  4. Boot issue after a clean installation of WIN10 on older computers with 'Legacy' BIOS-mode.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Boot issue after a clean installation of WIN10 on older computers with 'Legacy' BIOS-mode.: I have a tip that might help people having issues with a clean installation of WIN10 on older computers. I did a clean install of WIN10 on a HP Probook 4740s tablet because it was becomming extremely slow. Everything went well until I rebooted the machine. It didn't start up...
  5. Issues with clean Win10 Install

Issues with clean Win10 Install: [IMG]I don’t know how to write this I’m not great with computers but this is currently where I’m at and I have no idea where to go from here. I used IBuyPowers guide to fixing “Reboot and select proper boot media, or insert a boot device” and everything was going well up...
  6. BIOS mode as Legacy or UEFI?

BIOS mode as Legacy or UEFI?: My Windows 10 says its BIOS mode is Legacy with C drive partition as MBR. Is it worth switching to UEFI mode with C drive as GPT partition? Why does it seem so difficult to install to UEFI mode with GPT partition? You do not get an option to choose when you install windows 10...
  7. Can’t boot clean install of Win10

Can’t boot clean install of Win10: i have a dual boot setup and was not able to complete updates on one of the os’s so decided to do a clean install of it with the new update. Used a dvd install after downloading the iso file from MS, the install finished and i was able to get through the initia setup of the...
  8. Enabling UEFI Mode AFTER clean install of Win10?

Enabling UEFI Mode AFTER clean install of Win10?: I already did a clean install of Win10 on my Dell laptop which does seem to support UEFI mode when I went through the BIOS setup screen. My current BIOS setup is using the Legacy BIOS mode. My question is, if I do decide to enable UEFI with Secure Boot, will I need to...
  9. Install Windows 10 with BIOS Legacy Mode

Install Windows 10 with BIOS Legacy Mode: hi currently windows 10 is installed with UEFI mode in my ASUS notebook. the harddisk is in GPT partitioning style. so when i turn on my notebook, i am getting ASUS logo while booting up instead of the blue coloured windows logo. [img] (this pic is not from my...
  10. Clean install in BIOS Legacy or UEFI? Activation & Language Change?

Clean install in BIOS Legacy or UEFI? Activation & Language Change?: Hello, currently I have the upgraded Windows 10 Pro Spanish 32-bit activated from Windows 7 Spanish OEM 32-bit on a 2011 HP ProBook 6550b LATAM which I guess has the digital entitlement since no keys were entered. I would like to clean install & format the drive using the USB...