Windows 10: Boot loop after Update to 20H2 - unable to start Windows

Discus and support Boot loop after Update to 20H2 - unable to start Windows in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello. I was running Windows 1909 on my Thinkpad x260. Windows forced me to install the update to 20H2, saying my current Windows would be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by jimbob, May 7, 2021.

1. jimbob Win User

Boot loop after Update to 20H2 - unable to start Windows

Hello. I was running Windows 1909 on my Thinkpad x260. Windows forced me to install the update to 20H2, saying my current Windows would be out-of-service, and not giving me an option to delay. During the install process, it has now got stuck in a boot loop. That means, it tries to boot up, it shows the Windows logo for a second (the spinning dots don't show up yet) and then it reboots the computer. And this happens again and again with no way to get around it. These are the steps I've taken so far: 1) Install Windows Media creation tool to a USB and boot with that. Choose 'Startup Repair"Unable to repair.Check the log in: SrtTrail.txtThe log file says: "A recently serviced boot binary is corrupt." 2) Sfx /Scannow /OFFBOOTDIR=C:\ /OFFWINDIR=C:\Windows "There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart Windows and run sfc again" 3) wmic qfe get hotfixid HotFixID KB4586864 KB4594440 4) dism /online / cleanup-image /checkhealth DISM does not support servicing Windows PE with the /Online option 5) dism /Image:C:\ /Cleanup-Image /RevertPendingActions Error: 0x800f082f I'm now at a loss about what to do, and I would really appreciate any help. I've found a few messages online where people seem to have had the exact same issue, but I couldn't find any solutions. One thing to note. There was not much space on my hard disk, so during the update it asked me to insert removable storage (i.e. a USB disk) to help with the installation. I don't know if that makes any difference.

:)

jimbob, May 7, 2021
  2. Darshan J Win User

Windows update failed and unable to boot

Hi Chrissy,

To assist you better help us with the information below.

• Have you made any recent software/hardware changes to the computer?
    • Do you get any error message or code when trying to boot into the computer?
    When installing updates it puts message “Do not shut down your machine”, if you unplug the AC adapter or turn off the computer Chances are:

• Windows resuming the installation process next time you shutdown.
    • A non-vital program file becomes corrupted and causes some feature of the OS to become unusable and crash.
    As an initial step I would suggest you to unplug all external devices if connected and then try to boot the computer by plugging in the AC adapter and check if you are able to boot the computer.

If the computer boots make sure all the updates are installed and then you can login to user Interface.

If you still not able to unable to get the in Windows Bootable environment I Would suggest you contact your manufacturer.

Get back to us if your require more help on this query.

Thank you.

Darshan J, May 7, 2021
  3. Clark Ari Win User
    Boot loop

Hi Terri,

This issue occurs when there are broken components on the boot configuration data of your system. To troubleshoot your boot loop issue, we suggest that you boot in
    safe mode through the Windows
    Recovery
    Environment option. To do this, follow these steps:

• Turn on your computer. When the Windows logo appears, unplug and replug the device. Perform these steps three times.
    • On the fourth instance, turn on your device without unplugging it. The Windows Recovery Environment window will appear.
    • On the Choose an option screen, click Troubleshoot.
    • Click Advance options.
    • Click Startup Settings.
    • Click Restart.
    • Once your computer restarts, you will see a list of options. Press the F4 key to start your computer in
      safe mode.

Once done, we suggest that you perform a system restore after booting in safe mode. System Restore will be able to revert your PC or laptop to their previous state, which can be used to repair and recover system malfunctions or issues. Restoring won’t affect
    your personal files, but it will remove apps, drivers, and updates installed after the restore point was made. To do this, follow the steps below:

1. Right-click the Start button, and then select
    Control Panel.

2. Search Control Panel for
    Recovery.

3. Select Recovery > Open
    System Restore > Next.

4. Choose the restore point related to the problematic
    app, driver, or update, and then select
    Next > Finish.

Feel free to post back if you need further assistance.

Clark Ari, May 7, 2021
  4. Boot loop after Update to 20H2 - unable to start Windows

Unable to boot Windows 8.1 which stuck in a loop at 58%

Hi Allison,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

We apologize for the inconvenience that you have stuck reboot loop after upgrade to Windows 10, we will help you to resolve this issue.

Step 1: I suggest you to install Windows 10 using the media creation tool:

Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool

Step 2: After installing Windows 10, perform an Automatic Repair.

Perform the Automatic repair:

• When your computer starts, wait for the manufacturer logo to check the option for boot menu, it will usually be
      F12.

• The boot menu key might differ with each manufacturer. If you are unable to find the boot menu key, you may refer the user manual.

• Restart the computer, when the manufacturer's logo is displayed, keep pressing the
      Boot menu option key to enter the boot menu and change the boot option to
      CD\DVD ROM.

• After you boot your computer using Windows 8 DVD, a black screen appears with gray text "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD". Press any key.

• Select the correct time and
      Keyboard type

• Click Repair your computer in the lower left corner

• Click on Troubleshooting, advanced option and then click
      Automatic repair.

Hope this information is helpful. Kindly update the status of the issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, May 7, 2021
Thema:

Boot loop after Update to 20H2 - unable to start Windows

1. Boot loop after Update to 20H2 - unable to start Windows - Similar Threads - Boot loop Update

2. Loops on boot, after updating.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Loops on boot, after updating.: I have a PC problem: my Dell Latitude 5401 lap-top now refuses to boot. It powers up for around 18 seconds and the Dell logo appears on the screen, but then it shuts down and repeats this cycle ad nauseam, without ever booting Windows 10, which just had been updated. I...
  3. Loops on boot, after updating.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Loops on boot, after updating.: I have a PC problem: my Dell Latitude 5401 lap-top now refuses to boot. It powers up for around 18 seconds and the Dell logo appears on the screen, but then it shuts down and repeats this cycle ad nauseam, without ever booting Windows 10, which just had been updated. I...
  4. Loops on boot, after updating.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Boot loop after update.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Boot loop after update.: So i had this problem for 4 days now and i really can't find anything on this.I can get into bios just fine but i can't get anywhere else, it would just shut off and restart the loop all over again...
  6. Boot loop after attempted Windows 10 20H2 reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Boot loop after attempted Windows 10 20H2 reset: One of my older PCs was getting filled with bloatware and I felt like I should reset it to just clear it up.Once it got to 25% on "Installing Windows", it entered a boot loop that is described below:Once the PC gets past the initial boot, it returns to saying "Welcome" under...
  7. Boot loop after attempted Windows 10 20H2 reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Boot loop after attempted Windows 10 20H2 reset: One of my older PCs was getting filled with bloatware and I felt like I should reset it to just clear it up.Once it got to 25% on "Installing Windows", it entered a boot loop that is described below:Once the PC gets past the initial boot, it returns to saying "Welcome" under...
  8. Boot loop after attempted Windows 10 20H2 reset

9. Boot loop after update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Boot loop after update: My pc entered a boot loop after windows forced an update while I was AFK I've been clicking no every time it tries to update because I don't have enough room on my SSD for it to update and when I got back it just kept showing the windows logo, the swirling dots, and after...
  10. Boot loop after updating.

Boot loop after updating.: I normally disable windows updates, I don't know why it updated this one. Restarted my laptop to find the windows upgrade installing. Immediately after boot up things felt buggy. Resolution changes, icon changes, tool bar at the bottom changed... I thought it was a virus...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 20h2 boot loop