Windows 10: Boot Macrium Rescue from Internal SSD

Discus and support Boot Macrium Rescue from Internal SSD in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; In addition to adding Macrium Recovery to my boot menu and having a bootable USB, I always set up a bootable partition on one of my HDs per this thread... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by SoFine409, Jan 24, 2020.

1. SoFine409 Win User

Boot Macrium Rescue from Internal SSD

In addition to adding Macrium Recovery to my boot menu and having a bootable USB, I always set up a bootable partition on one of my HDs per this thread by @topgundep, FYI: Setup Macrium Rescue to boot from an Internal/External USB HD/SSD. It always worked flawlessly giving me an easy way to reach Macrium in case my OS and USB get hosed. But today when finished replacing all of the HDs in my PC with SSDs I decided to test out the bootable partition. Unfortunately it didn't boot. I recreated it on several drives and it still wouldn't work. This works on all my other PCs and has worked on this on for many years. But after I migrated everything over to SSDs it not working. I'm recreated the partition on several drives both at the front and at the back and still no go. What the heck am I missing? Any thoughts?

:)

SoFine409, Jan 24, 2020
  2. Icarus Win User

Macrium - Setup Macrium Rescue to boot from an Internal SSD

Hey Guys

I was a poster on the SevenForums, but it appears that usernames and logins don't transfer from there? Anyhow ive registered a new account here to post my (hopefully simple) query:

Ive just followed Brinks amazing Clean Install W10 without having to upgrade guide and it went flawlessly. I'm now in 10 and have been installing drivers, updates and AV/Malware scans and setup. All done - ready to make a post install image using Macrium (which I have also used before on 7)

I was intrigued with this guide though: https://www.tenforums.com/general-dis...sb-hd-ssd.html

I have followed all the steps (I believe successfully) and now have a separate SSD (not my OS SSD) with an Active Primary partition of 512mb. Ive copied the ISO which macrium created for the Rescue disc to it etc.

I then tried to get into the boot menu he shows in the guide and that's where Ive come unstuck. I have literally no idea how to boot from this rescue disc on my other SSD. I'm not even sure copying the ISO to it makes it a rescue environment I can boot from.

Happy to answer any questions or post screen snips of whats going on.

Any help greatly appreciated

thanks
    Matt

Icarus, Jan 24, 2020
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Macrium Reflect and SSD drive

Here's an easy way to do it, With your SSD connected.

1. If not already done. Create a backup image of your current Windows HD. From Macrium, click on "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows"
      NOTE: you could actually clone the disk, but create a backup then restore will allow Macrium to correctly align the cluster size and perform trimming on the new SSD.
    2. After step 1 is done, click on Restore tab, select the image from step 1 then click on Select different target disk, select the SSD as destination disk then click on Next->Finish. No need to use/boot from Rescue disk. It will be faster and Macrium will also perform trimming on the new SSD.
    3. Disconnect the HD and reboot. Windows should boot up with the new SSD.

topgundcp, Jan 24, 2020
  4. topgundcp Win User

Macrium - Setup Macrium Rescue to boot from an Internal SSD

You should not have to do this even though it works but what if your PC became unbootable ?
    You can boot it via the Boot Menu, just select the item from the list pointed to the SSD where you have the rescue copied to.

topgundcp, Jan 24, 2020
Thema:

1. Boot Macrium Rescue from Internal SSD - Similar Threads - Boot Macrium Rescue

2. macrium rescue failed to see a USB-SSD

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    macrium rescue failed to see a USB-SSD: i just restored a macrium image of the whole C:-drive. i had bought an SSD to make it run fast(er), but rescue-media was unable to see the SSD, so i ended up using the copy on a NAS. some 20 hours later the system is back up, but i'm wondering what went wrong. attached a...
  3. Macrium rescue media

Macrium rescue media: Hows everybody? I solved this in the past and cant recall exactly how I did it. The macrium rescue media tool cant detect the correct drivers for a usb 3.0 device. And this is win 7 era hardware. It says that winRE has built in support. Not. I had to install the drivers for...
  4. Macrium Rescue USB Won't Boot

Macrium Rescue USB Won't Boot: Today I received a new Alienware r11 PC, UEFI Firmware. I created a Macrium Rescue USB but when I tried to boot from it the option wasn't available. I've disable Secure Boot but other then that I've done nothing to the firmware since this is my first UEFI PC. These are the...
  5. Macrium Rescue USB Won't Boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Macrium Rescue USB Won't Boot: Today I received a new Alienware r11 PC, UEFI Firmware. I created a Macrium Rescue USB but when I tried to boot from it the option wasn't available. I've disable Secure Boot but other then that I've done nothing to the firmware since this is my first UEFI PC. These are the...
  6. Macrium: Rescue Media

Macrium: Rescue Media: Having turned to Macrium for daily backups, I have created a Rescue Media DVD. When testing to see if it would boot (as Macrium advise). I was unable to choose which of the options offered was correct. Attached is a clip of my boot menu with the DVD in its tray. Oddly, the...
  7. Macrium - Setup Macrium Rescue to boot from an Internal SSD

Macrium - Setup Macrium Rescue to boot from an Internal SSD: Hey Guys I was a poster on the SevenForums, but it appears that usernames and logins don't transfer from there? Anyhow ive registered a new account here to post my (hopefully simple) query: Ive just followed Brinks amazing Clean Install W10 without having to upgrade...
  8. Can't Boot to Macrium Reflect Rescue Media

Can't Boot to Macrium Reflect Rescue Media: I installed Macrium Reflect so that I could create rescue media and disk images. My computer will not boot from the rescue media that I created. The creation seemed to go fine, all the appropriate files seem to be there. The rescue USB shows up in my bios boot list third...
  9. Macrium V6 Rescue Disk Will Not Boot in W10

Macrium V6 Rescue Disk Will Not Boot in W10: I'm not familiar with the UEFI boot system in W10. Any pointers? Thanks. 40116
  10. FYI: Setup Macrium Rescue to boot from an Internal/External/USB HD/SSD

FYI: Setup Macrium Rescue to boot from an Internal/External/USB HD/SSD: *YouTube video player 26762