Windows 10: Boot manager booting to the wrong drive

Discus and support Boot manager booting to the wrong drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, Awhile back, with the help of this community, I was able to reimage my computer from an older SSD to a new M.2. The older SSDs were fine, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by CodyScribner1, Mar 14, 2021.

1. Boot manager booting to the wrong drive

Hello,

Awhile back, with the help of this community, I was able to reimage my computer from an older SSD to a new M.2. The older SSDs were fine, I just wanted to update to a M.2. I would now like to format the old drives and use them as storage. I've read that I can do this from disk management but when ever I reconnect the old drive, my computer boots to them instead of the M.2 and I'm logging into my "old" windows, where everything is as it was before I swapped the drives. should I just log in and format them from there? or is there something else I need to do to wipe these drives. In bios the number one thing in the boot order is Boot manager.

Thanks in advance!

:)

CodyScribner1, Mar 14, 2021

2. Windows 7 booting off wrong drive?!?!?

Please move if this is in the wrong place.

I have two hard drives, a 1.5TB drive, and a 160GB drive. Windows is installed on the 1.5TB drive, as are all my files and programs. The 160GB drive has a bunch of old files, and apparently the bootmgr and boot folder. Nothing else is on the 160GB drive, other than media files etc.

If I remove the 160GB drive from the machine, windows refuses to boot, plug it back in, it works fine. The setup with two hard drives I have now is temporary, as the 160GB drive will go into another machine.

My question is, can someone give me a step by step on how to make windows force to boot off the 1.5TB drive, ignoring the 160GB drive in the boot process completely?
    I don't know how to do this in Windows 7, on XP I would just run the /fixmbr command and its related ones.

Any help would be appreciated.

Note: I would really really rather not have to wipe and reinstall, I know it can be done without one as I've had this issue with XP before.

speedy11131, Mar 14, 2021
  3. Boot Emergency!

No it doesnt show. Only my OS drive.

Its there and it says it running and normal.

Anyway I just had the same boot problem on reboot. Everything was fine 10 minutes ago. Now it wont boot without my manually selecting the drive.

TheMailMan78, Mar 14, 2021
  4. Boot manager booting to the wrong drive

Windows boot manager

There could be some system conflict triggered after the said changes. To help you with your concern, we suggest that you perform a clean boot. A
    clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This will help to determine what is causing the issue on the Windows boot manager. To do this, click on this
    link and scroll down to the
    How to determine what is causing the problem by performing a clean boot section then follow the steps listed..

Note: If the installation is successful and the issue has been resolved. Please go through the section “How to reset the computer to start as usual” to reset your computer to the normal startup.

Let us know how it goes after performing the suggested steps.

Eileen Gal, Mar 14, 2021
Thema:

Boot manager booting to the wrong drive

1. Boot manager booting to the wrong drive - Similar Threads - Boot manager booting

2. Wrong hard drive boots

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Wrong hard drive boots: I have 2 laptops. New one has only been set up with Microsoft login. Upon entering Microsoft password on old one, it boots up, but files have disappeared. It appears the old computer thinks it’s the new computer with no files. How do I reaccess my files?...
  3. Wrong hard drive boots

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wrong hard drive boots: I have 2 laptops. New one has only been set up with Microsoft login. Upon entering Microsoft password on old one, it boots up, but files have disappeared. It appears the old computer thinks it’s the new computer with no files. How do I reaccess my files?...
  4. Wrong hard drive boots

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Change Boot Drive - Windows Boot Manager

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change Boot Drive - Windows Boot Manager: I need to make my Boot drive larger - so I went out and got another NVME drive and PCI card to mount it to.I made a clone of the existing boot drive and the ancillary partitions. So I now have two drive that are identical clonesThe next step is supposed to be to tell the BIOS...
  6. Boot Manager in wrong drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Boot Manager in wrong drive: At work I'm trying to install windows 10 on a really old pc with no uefi support, usb drives can't be booted, my boss had the idea to make a spare ssd we have into a boot drive to install windows (in place of usb boot drive), it worked now windows is installed on the drive we...
  7. Boot Sector on Wrong Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Boot Sector on Wrong Drive: Recently I bought and SSD to upgrade from my HDD. I had window installed on the HDD and when I went to install windows on the SSD, I didn't unplug the HDD so windows assigned the boot sector for the SSD to the HDD. Now I want to delete the windows installation from my SSD,...
  8. Boot manager on wrong drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Boot manager on wrong drive: I just replaced the HDD in this desktop PC with an ssd, but both drives were connected when I installed windows on the SSD. For some idiotic reason it requires BOTH drives to boot to the SSD. Is there any way to fix this without having to reinstall windows all over again?...
  9. Laptop boots from wrong drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop boots from wrong drive: I got an SSD for my HP Envy dv6 and installed Windows 10 on it. When I did it I only had the SSD connected to my laptop, and before adding back the HDD, I had no problem with the boot up. I connected back the HDD with Windows 10 on it. This created a problem where no matter...
  10. Windows booting from wrong SSD Windows Boot Manager

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows booting from wrong SSD Windows Boot Manager: Hello there, So i have an SSD installed, and i recently bought a used SSD that had windows on it. After formatting the new SSD, Windows tries to boot from it and run a repair. I have to restart my PC, go into BIOS, then into Boot Manager then choose the right SSD to boot...