Windows 10: Boot Manager option gone after installing 2nd W10

Discus and support Boot Manager option gone after installing 2nd W10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Acer A5 laptop 500G NVME 250G Apacer SSD The laptop came with Win 10 Home installed on the 500G NVME I added the Apacer 250G SSD, using the supplied... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by teckneeculler, Dec 12, 2020.

1. Boot Manager option gone after installing 2nd W10

Acer A5 laptop
    500G NVME
    250G Apacer SSD

The laptop came with Win 10 Home installed on the 500G NVME
    I added the Apacer 250G SSD, using the supplied bracket and installed W10 Pro on that.
    Windows Boot Manager then offered a choice of systems.
    I decided to switch the arrangement and put Pro on the NVME drive, Home on the Apacer.
    After installing Pro, Boot Manager was still in place.
    But after installing Home on the Apacer SSD, the boot manager has disappeared and the system boots only to Home.

PS: Boot Manager still shows in the BIOS.
    PPS: Both installs were done via Rufus onto USB 3.1 drives, and both were assigned as GPT, IIRC.

When I open File Explorer in Home, I can see all the files on the NVME drive, so nothing seems to be damaged except Boot Manager. Might I repair this situation with EasyBCD or some other boot repair app? I'd rather not go through the double install again.

:)

teckneeculler, Dec 12, 2020
  2. AnaFunes Win User

W10 does no boot

My Vaio SVE with W10 does not boot. Using ASSIST button I cannot recover the system --have gone through all the options. Unfortunately I do not have a recovery point neither a recovery external disk. Any suggestions?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category***

AnaFunes, Dec 12, 2020
  3. Problem with Master Boot Record / Windows Boot Manager

Hi Ver0s,

My name is Erik. I'm an Independent Advisor and I'll be glad to help you today.

Kindly try to change system properties to enable or disable Windows Boot Manager. Here are the steps for you.if this will not work go to CMD

Step 1: Open the Run dialog window by pressing Win plus R keys.

Step 2: Type sysdm.cpl and click OK to continue.

Step 3: When the System Properties window pops up, choose the Advanced option. Then click on the Settings under the Startup and Recovery option.

Step 4: In the pop-up window, select the Time to display list of operating systems box and set the time value. After that, click OK to save the changes.

Step 5: If you want to disable BOOTMGR, cancel Time to display list of operating systems box or set the time value as 0 and click OK to finish the operation.

2nd Options

Try to enable/disable Windows boot manager. Used CMD

Step 1: Type cmd in the search box, and then right-click Command Prompt and choose Run as administrator.

Step 2: Type the following commands in the Prompt and hit the Enter key after typing each one command.

bcdedit / set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes

bcdedit / set {bootmgr} timeout 30

Tip: The timeout decides the time of the boot manager displayed. You are able to specify the timeout value in seconds based on your requirement.

Step 3: If you want to disable Windows Boot Manager, you need to type bcdedit / set {bootmgr} timeout 0 and hit Enter.

Please let me know if you have any further concerns.

Regards,

Erik

Independent Advisor

EriksonBautista24, Dec 12, 2020
  4. ram93 Win User

Boot Manager option gone after installing 2nd W10

laptop doesnt boot automatically

This is what happened.

1. Did a repair install and later disabled hibertnate in CMD.
    2. Enabled legacy option ROM in BIOS.
    3. After a few times startup ( i used the system in such mode for 5 days), changed boot option back to default.
    4. Vola!! It boots automatically to win10 without any keypress. Tested it with many starts to confirm the same.
    5. Re-enabled hibernate option using CMD and later selected Fast Startup.
    6. System booted normally, without the need for any keypress.

I do not know exactly whether such steps resolved the problem or what else happened, hence cannot suggest above steps.

Many thanks to all members who helped to troubleshoot problems.

ram93, Dec 12, 2020
Thema:

Boot Manager option gone after installing 2nd W10

1. Boot Manager option gone after installing 2nd W10 - Similar Threads - Boot Manager option

2. Windows 11 install from W10 failing on 2nd boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 install from W10 failing on 2nd boot: It says it can't find the boot device. I updated everything, clean booted, disconnected everything except kbd and mouse, tried installing from usb, updated the bios, TPM enabled, the install is not finding the drive for some reason. Any Ideas on this?...
  3. Windows 11 install from W10 failing on 2nd boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 install from W10 failing on 2nd boot: It says it can't find the boot device. I updated everything, clean booted, disconnected everything except kbd and mouse, tried installing from usb, updated the bios, TPM enabled, the install is not finding the drive for some reason. Any Ideas on this?...
  4. Can't boot after installing windows on 2nd drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't boot after installing windows on 2nd drive: Hi, I am frustrated and here is what I did (any help is appreciated) : My company's laptop has only HDD drive and it has Windows 10 Enterprise and i don't have admin privileges + it has BittLocker. I got my self a temporary nvme drive and plugged it into an empty nvme...
  5. W10 Pro defer updates option is gone.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W10 Pro defer updates option is gone.: Hello. I've noticed that the first option to defer updates, the one that lets you delay Windows feature overhaul upgrades, is gone and just the other one that delays security updates os there. What gives? Thank you. [ATTACH]How it should look like: [ATTACH]...
  6. My Windows Boot Manager is gone!

My Windows Boot Manager is gone!: Hi all!I am setting up a dual boot system (Win10 & Ubuntu) in a 2 year old desktop pc. I had Windows 10 reinstalled just a couple days ago In my 1 Tb HD. Then I installed Ubuntu in my 120 Gb SSD. Then Grub was not found, so it would boot straight to Windows 10. Which I was...
  7. My Windows Boot Manager is gone!

in Windows 10 Support
    My Windows Boot Manager is gone!: Hi all!I am setting up a dual boot system (Win10 & Ubuntu) in a 2 year old desktop pc. I had Windows 10 reinstalled just a couple days ago In my 1 Tb HD. Then I installed Ubuntu in my 120 Gb SSD. Then Grub was not found, so it would boot straight to Windows 10. Which I was...
  8. How to install Windows 10 boot manager on 2nd drive

How to install Windows 10 boot manager on 2nd drive: When I'm installing Windows in a PC with 2 drives and I want to dedicate one for it and one for Linux, I usually disable from Bios the drive I don't want to use then I proceed with Windows installation on the other drive. This is not possible on my new Lenovo T480s, Bios...
  9. How to install Windows 10 boot manager on 2nd drive

in Windows 10 Support
    How to install Windows 10 boot manager on 2nd drive: When I'm installing Windows in a PC with 2 drives and I want to dedicate one for it and one for Linux, I usually disable from Bios the drive I don't want to use then I proceed with Windows installation on the other drive. This is not possible on my new Lenovo T480s, Bios...
  10. No boot partition on boot drive after clean install with 2nd drive

in Windows 10 Support
    No boot partition on boot drive after clean install with 2nd drive: Hey all, It's an age old story, probably.. I was running Win7. Had a crash that munged me being able to boot and I have never had success creating a repair disk for 7 with USB3 drivers (I'm on Z170 chipset). So I decided I should finally jump into Win10 as I reserved...