Windows 10: Boot menu shows up when I select "Restart"

Discus and support Boot menu shows up when I select "Restart" in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Whenever I select "Restart" on my HP laptop, a boot menu comes up that asks me whether I want to shut down Windows 10. There are some other options... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Editor45, Nov 27, 2021.

1. Editor45 Win User

Boot menu shows up when I select "Restart"

Whenever I select "Restart" on my HP laptop, a boot menu comes up that asks me whether I want to shut down Windows 10. There are some other options that show up too, like a Safe Mode option. What should I do to get the computer to restart normally?

:)

Editor45, Nov 27, 2021

2. No startup boot menu

Hello Kimoefat,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

As an initial recommendation, I would suggest you to access the System configuration utility and check if the Operating System installation path for Ubuntu exists. To do so, follow the below steps.

• Type msconfig in the search bar and select System Configuration from the search results.
    • Select the boot tab in the System configuration console to check if the installation path for Ubuntu exists.
    If it exists, next logical step is to check if the boot menu time out has been set to 0, which results in Boot menu not showing up.

The boot menu time-out determines how long the boot menu is displayed before the default boot entry is loaded. It is calibrated in seconds. To change the boot menu time-out, use the Bootcfg
    /timeout switch. Valid values are from 0 through 999. You cannot use Bootcfg to set an indefinite time-out.

You can run the following Run command line to set the boot menu time-out accordingly. To do so, follow the below steps.

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt

• Type in the following command: bootcfg /timeout 10

timeout 10
      will set the time frame to 10 seconds
    However, if the Boot path for Ubuntu does not exist in the boot menu of System Configuration utility, I would suggest you to check if the Ubuntu is overridden by the Windows installation or if the Ubuntu installation files are corrupted.

Hope the above information is helpful. If you need further information, feel free to write to us and we would be happy to help you.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Nov 27, 2021
  3. Naresh_K Win User
    Computer restarts after selecting non default Windows 10 in Boot Menu

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Currently you are able to view the boot menu that is specific for Windows 10. Here Windows interface is loaded and then you get an option to choose an operating system. If you select operating system which is not default, then Windows will have
    to reboot again as it is has already loaded the interface from default operating system. You can turn on the standard boot menu and choose an operating system while booting. Please follow the steps mentioned below to enable boot menu.

1. Open Command prompt and run it as Administrator.
    2. Then type bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes
    3. Press enter and exit Command prompt.
    4. Restart your computer and check.

To disable it, just replace yes with no and it will again loaded the interface from Windows 10.

Hope it helps,

Naresh_K, Nov 27, 2021
  4. RaPiDo987 Win User

Boot up selections, how to delete menu

Hey Guys

I just scored a windows 7 copy and installed it to my HDD on a different partition. Now everytime the computer boots up, I have a menu where I can select win7 or previous OS. I originally had XP on my C: then installed win on a separate partition...

How do I disable that menu and have it to boot up with win 7

THanks*Toast :toast:

RaPiDo987, Nov 27, 2021
Thema:

1. Boot menu shows up when I select "Restart" - Similar Threads - Boot menu shows

2. Boot menu shows up when I select "Restart"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Boot menu shows up when I select "Restart": Whenever I select "Restart" on my HP laptop, a boot menu comes up that asks me whether I want to shut down Windows 10. There are some other options that show up too, like a Safe Mode option. What should I do to get the computer to restart normally?...
  3. Boot menu shows up when I select "Restart"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Boot menu shows up when I select "Restart": Whenever I select "Restart" on my HP laptop, a boot menu comes up that asks me whether I want to shut down Windows 10. There are some other options that show up too, like a Safe Mode option. What should I do to get the computer to restart normally?...
  4. Blue screen error, then showing Boot Menu when restarting

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Blue screen error, then showing Boot Menu when restarting: [IMG]Wont restart or allow to system restore, keeps freezing then showing blue screen error Lenova Yoga 500 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/blue-screen-error-then-showing-boot-menu-when/4f947126-253a-4f52-9df7-9ef7c02c48d7
  5. flash drive not showing up on boot menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    flash drive not showing up on boot menu: My usb 3.1 isn’t showing up on the boot menu, will i need to fix something in the bios or is it a problem with the flash drive? submitted by /u/urmomhomosapien [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lh3rte/flash_drive_not_showing_up_on_boot_menu/
  6. Suddenly booting up on drive selection menu

Suddenly booting up on drive selection menu: Hi, after my first fresh install of win10 a year ago, I never had to see the boot menu, however today, when I turned on my PC, it suddenly brought me to the boot menu. I can still select the correct drive with my installation of win10, but is this a sign that my drive is...
  7. Windows not showing up in boot menu

Windows not showing up in boot menu: I had windows and ubuntu on dual boot both on my ssd I was using ubuntu and mistakenly typed sudo rm -r /* which deleted everything and when I restarted both operating system on my ssd are not in the boot menu . I think bootloader is damaged . Pls help me in restore windows...
  8. Windows Boot Manager showed up when restarting Windows.

Windows Boot Manager showed up when restarting Windows.: Windows 10 Enterprise 1803 17134.1184 Hey, When I restarted my laptop today, I encountered an issue with Windows Boot Manager showing up, saying, "Windows failed to start...". I have attached an image of the Popup. [IMG] I pressed Enter and went over to OS selection...
  9. Strange app showing up in Action Center when i restart or boot

in Windows 10 Customization
    Strange app showing up in Action Center when i restart or boot: Hello, I have some sort of app open in the background when I first start my computer, I'd love to know if anyone has this app open as well? I'm new to windows so be very specific when explaining, please. (see the photo of the app on the link bellow) This is an MSI P65 that...
  10. OS selection menu not showing

OS selection menu not showing: I have windows 10 along with windows 7 installed. The problem is that it never shows the os selection menu and always boots into windows 10, never windows 7. When i change system configuration a little (for example, changing time for wich menu is shown) it shows again for...