Windows 10: Boot off of ssd whilst keeping windows + programs on HDD?

Discus and support Boot off of ssd whilst keeping windows + programs on HDD? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi, I recently bought an SSD for booting only, and it is much smaller than my main HDD. I want to keep my windows install on my HDD, but boot off of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/WoooshToTheMax, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Boot off of ssd whilst keeping windows + programs on HDD?

Hi, I recently bought an SSD for booting only, and it is much smaller than my main HDD. I want to keep my windows install on my HDD, but boot off of the SSD. When I looked it up I saw something about dual booting but I’m not sure how that works. I don’t have enough space to clone my windows install. It is a 256gb drive and my main uses well over 700gb. Is there any way I could use the drive just for booting and games without moving my install?

submitted by /u/WoooshToTheMax
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/WoooshToTheMax, Jan 20, 2021
  2. SEWsam Win User

Moving OS to new SSD but keep Programs on HDD

Hello,

Is there any way to move/clone the OS to a new SSD while keeping the programs on the HDD (and being able to still keep the previous location association with shortcuts) (example: Shortcut on desktop: Location: (HDD) C:\Users\Sam\Desktop

Name: Steam

Target: C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\Steam.exe

--> Moved to SSD: Location (SSD, as boot drive): D:\Users\Sam\Desktop

Name: Steam

Target: C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\Steam.exe <--- Target stays the same)

Is this possible?

SEWsam, Jan 20, 2021
  3. SSD for new Windows, keeping files and programs on HDD

Alright, I know this was asked a few times before, but each scenario I found was a bit different so I wanted to be safe and present my situation for review.

I currently have a 1TB HDD with Windows 10 and just obtained a 240GB SSD. I want to install Windows 10 (which I've already obtained an ISO from Microsoft to work with) onto the SSD along with some major games so improve performance. However, I want to keep
    the majority of the files and programs on my HDD. I was given two options to take, both of which I have questions about before I proceed.

Option 1) Create a backup of my HDD onto an external hard drive, format the HDD, boot from my flash drive containing Windows and install it onto the SSD. Retrieve the files from the backup and move them back onto the HDD.

In this scenario I'd need to reinstall all the programs I have, because I assume they wouldn't work properly with a new OS installed. If this is correct, should I uninstall the programs before the backup to make things cleaner? During the re-installation,
    I'd be choosing the HDD as the location, but would it be able to launch the program located on another drive easily? This is my first time attempting to use multiple drives.

Option 2) Leave my HDD as it is, install Windows onto the SSD and ensure my computer boots to the SSD from the BIOS.

This bypasses the problem of needing to back up and retrieve files. However, would the programs continue to work? This goes back to my previous concern of launching programs located on another drive.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I haven't messed with this in like eight years so I'm a bit nervous, especially considering how much this gaming rig has cost me so far. Would kill me inside to lose anything or be out of commission fixing it for a week.

VetisAysel, Jan 20, 2021
  4. Boot off of ssd whilst keeping windows + programs on HDD?

Keep programs running whilst screen is turned off - MSBook

Hello,

To assist you better, I suggest you to answer the below questions.

• Which program are you referring you to?
    • As per the description, "I wish to keep some programs running whilst the screen on devise" where exactly are you stating that the programs have to be aligned?
    • What exact issue are you facing in Windows?
    Please pot to us with more information to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Jan 20, 2021
Thema:

Boot off of ssd whilst keeping windows + programs on HDD?

1. Boot off of ssd whilst keeping windows + programs on HDD? - Similar Threads - Boot off ssd

2. How to boot windows from SSD but keep HDD files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to boot windows from SSD but keep HDD files: So I have ordered an SSD it didn't come yet and I wanted to know if i download windows on it and make it boot from the SSD will all my files ai. games, documents, files and that stuff will it still be on the desktop/will i be able to play them if the windows is booting from...
  3. How to boot windows from SSD but keep HDD files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to boot windows from SSD but keep HDD files: So I have ordered an SSD it didn't come yet and I wanted to know if i download windows on it and make it boot from the SSD will all my files ai. games, documents, files and that stuff will it still be on the desktop/will i be able to play them if the windows is booting from...
  4. How to boot windows from SSD but keep HDD files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. HDD Required to boot SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HDD Required to boot SSD: I've installed windows 10 on a new SSD Samsung 870 EVO 1TB and it works just fine currently using it to create this post. However, my problem is that it seems that I need my old HDD to be able to boot the SDD. I want to set the SSD as the primary bootable device, but when I...
  6. HDD Required to boot SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDD Required to boot SSD: I've installed windows 10 on a new SSD Samsung 870 EVO 1TB and it works just fine currently using it to create this post. However, my problem is that it seems that I need my old HDD to be able to boot the SDD. I want to set the SSD as the primary bootable device, but when I...
  7. HDD Required to boot SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Attempted imaging a HDD onto an SSD, still cannot boot off of SSD

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Attempted imaging a HDD onto an SSD, still cannot boot off of SSD: I made a post a few days ago asking how I could boot off of a cloned ssd. I created a rescue USB and booted off of that using Macrium. While on the USB I created an image of my HDD and then restored the image into the SSD. When I attempted to boot off of the SSD, the text...
  9. SSD and HDD boot sequence off

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD and HDD boot sequence off: I have a peculiar problem. I have a dell Inspiron 3521 laptop. It was running windows 10 as primary OS and Ubuntu as secondary with grub as boot manager. I got frequent BSODs so thought may be the HDD was dying so removed the HDD and replaced it with an SSD and did a clean...
  10. Moving OS to new SSD but keep Programs on HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving OS to new SSD but keep Programs on HDD: Hello, Is there any way to move/clone the OS to a new SSD while keeping the programs on the HDD (and being able to still keep the previous location association with shortcuts) (example: Shortcut on desktop: Location: (HDD) C:\Users\Sam\Desktop Name: Steam Target:...