Windows 10: Boot options with multiple drives.

Discus and support Boot options with multiple drives. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Question for you guys from basically a Windows rookie. I have been on linux and osx for about 15 years now so a lot of stuff has changed. I was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/EEPROM1605, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Boot options with multiple drives.

Question for you guys from basically a Windows rookie.

I have been on linux and osx for about 15 years now so a lot of stuff has changed. I was recently given a new work laptop with win10 to use from home and was actually pretty happy because of the nice size screen on it. Well it all went down hill when I started using it and realized it was on a domain and most janitors have more rights than what I was given on this. Literally everything I go to do the machine tells me I'm not authorized.

So I cracked it open and it actually has an empty 2.5" bay and everything was ran off M2. So my first thought was, pull the M2, put in one of the many 2.5" SSDs I have laying around, load up an OS of my choice and be on my way.

The. I started thinking if I ever had to go into work with it, I would need it the way it is set up now to get on the network.

Is there any way I could throw in a 2.5" drive with the M2 and dual boot the machine without touching anything on the M2 side?

Thanks for any info. I really don't want to just keep this brand new machine sitting in a closet but I refuse to use it in the current locked down state.

submitted by /u/EEPROM1605
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/EEPROM1605, Nov 12, 2020
  2. Josef Bri Win User

Re: All boot options are tried...

Hi Elda,

If the boot sequence didn't work, then we suggest try running the laptop in safe mode. To do this, here's a few steps to follow:

• Power down your laptop.
    • Turn it back on again.
    • When you turn it back on, press F8 repeatedly until the power on option appeared.
    • If you see the boot option "Safe Mode with Networking", choose that option.
    • See if you can boot up in Safe mode.

We'll look forward to your response.

Josef Bri, Nov 12, 2020
  3. ram93 Win User
    laptop doesnt boot automatically

This is what happened.

1. Did a repair install and later disabled hibertnate in CMD.
    2. Enabled legacy option ROM in BIOS.
    3. After a few times startup ( i used the system in such mode for 5 days), changed boot option back to default.
    4. Vola!! It boots automatically to win10 without any keypress. Tested it with many starts to confirm the same.
    5. Re-enabled hibernate option using CMD and later selected Fast Startup.
    6. System booted normally, without the need for any keypress.

I do not know exactly whether such steps resolved the problem or what else happened, hence cannot suggest above steps.

Many thanks to all members who helped to troubleshoot problems.

ram93, Nov 12, 2020
  4. topgundcp Win User

Boot options with multiple drives.

How does Windows boot to advanced recovery option e.g. command prompt?

- that gives me a 454 'Unexpected error' This tells me that the BCD is partially corrupted.

The commands: shutdown.exe /r /o /f /t 00
    or: %SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c reagentc /boottore&shutdown /r /f /t 00
    should boot into Recovery if everything is configured correctly.
    FYI, If Windows is configured correctly:
    1. If Reagentc is disabled, you still can get into Recovery but with limited options.
    2. If Reagentc is enabled, you'll get all options.
    3. If you boot Windows using Recovery USB stick, You'll get into Recovery with couple of options missing.

Here's my suggestion if you want to try:
    OPTION 1: Will save the trouble of re-install Windows.

1. Download the image of my first 3 partitions (450MB Recovery, 100 MB EFI partition, and 16MB unformatted primary)
      EFI_Boot-00-00.7z - Google Drive
    2. Run Macrium and restore the image from step 1, overwriting your existing 1st three partitions, leaving C alone.
    3. Delete the 490MB Recovery partition.
    4. From Macrium, run fix boot problems.
    5. Reboot. Open Admin command prompt then run Reagentc /info to make sure that it is enabled. If not, enable it.
      if failed to enable, reboot and try again.
    OPTION 2: Assuming you've already had Windows backup with Macrium.

1. Wipe out the first 5 parttiions. (450MB, 100MB, 16MB, C Drive, 480MB)
    2. Fresh install Windows 10
    3. Restore C drive from backup image, run fix boot problems
    4. repeat step 5 from OPTION 1 above.

topgundcp, Nov 12, 2020
Thema:

Boot options with multiple drives.

1. Boot options with multiple drives. - Similar Threads - Boot options multiple

2. Multiple Hard Drives/ Multiple Boots/Corrupt

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Multiple Hard Drives/ Multiple Boots/Corrupt: So, I have two different drives I use to boot my PC. One came with the PC, it's HDD, it has an OS with Windows 10 on it. The second is an m.2 SSD, I mainly use this one. The second has Windows 11 with all my saved games. Recently I've been trying to overclock my CPU, and...
  3. Multiple Hard Drives/ Multiple Boots/Corrupt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple Hard Drives/ Multiple Boots/Corrupt: So, I have two different drives I use to boot my PC. One came with the PC, it's HDD, it has an OS with Windows 10 on it. The second is an m.2 SSD, I mainly use this one. The second has Windows 11 with all my saved games. Recently I've been trying to overclock my CPU, and...
  4. Multiple Hard Drives/ Multiple Boots/Corrupt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. boot option with 2 system drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    boot option with 2 system drives: I cloned my hard drive to an ssd via usb port. Per software completion instruction, I turned the computer off and replaced the hard drive with the ssd - I was unable to boot it but WAS able with win10 help to make a clean install on the ssd and it runs fine now, without the...
  6. boot option with 2 system drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    boot option with 2 system drives: I cloned my hard drive to an ssd via usb port. Per software completion instruction, I turned the computer off and replaced the hard drive with the ssd - I was unable to boot it but WAS able with win10 help to make a clean install on the ssd and it runs fine now, without the...
  7. boot option with 2 system drives

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Multiple boot options after WIN32K_POWER_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT_BSOD

Multiple boot options after WIN32K_POWER_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT_BSOD: Hey, windows 10 pro, fully patched. Using asus zenbook ux534ftc. Extrenal Hardware: - docking station with sound jack and keybored connected. - HDMI screen conncted. - Bluetooth mouse. After using the pc for quite long time with high cpu usagehigh fan speed, debugging...
  9. Multiple USB boot drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Multiple USB boot drive: Hi. Is there a way to have a single USB drive (thumb / external HDD / etc.) that allows a choice which, say, partition I want to boot from. Example reason: having several recovery OSs (Hirens / Kaspersky / Win10 (x86 / x64) some or all) all on one drive, but independently...
  10. Boot issue with Multiple Drives Connected

Boot issue with Multiple Drives Connected: Thank you... Just running through that option again must have done something as everything was set as expected. Went into Set-up and first confirmed boot order. 1st Boot - CD / DVD 2nd Boot - Hard Disk WDC .... Also went into Hard Disk Drive BBS Priorities to...