Windows 10: Boot order gets reset after every restart

Discus and support Boot order gets reset after every restart in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi I am having this issue after a bios update. I have a ssd and a hdd both containing windows I imaged from hdd to sdd after buying the laptop. Before... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RikGhosh, Jan 27, 2021.

1. RikGhosh Win User

Boot order gets reset after every restart

Hi I am having this issue after a bios update. I have a ssd and a hdd both containing windows I imaged from hdd to sdd after buying the laptop. Before the update, the machine used to boot from ssd. After the update it is booting from hdd inspite of resetting the boot order from bios menu. I have tried setting and saving the boot menu to sdd first several times, but it gets reset to hdd after restarting. however other settings are saved in bios if i change them, for example,

Bios version : EMCN44WW.DEVICE : IDEAPAD 3 15IILO5.

I have windows 10 loaded BTW.

:)

RikGhosh, Jan 27, 2021
  2. swat354 Win User

Windows 10 infinite restart black screen

Thank you john for all of your help i decided to get the usb my computer came with and factory reset it i didnt have anything that personal or valueable so its ok thanks for the help though i appreciate it

swat354, Jan 27, 2021
  3. IggSter Win User
    How to factory reset Cisco 1700 Router

Hopefully I can help you here....its a very common thing to happen.

First, I take it you dont know the passwords for console access or telnet/ssh?

I will assume that these devices belong to you.

step 1. Plug a cisco console cable into a serial port on your pc
    step 2. Plug other end into Cisco console port
    step 3. Using hyperterm or putty or similar connect to the serial port
    step 4. boot router, and make sure you clearly can see the output (this confirms you have good serial comms)
    step 5. if this fails, adjust the comm port settings (9600, 8,1,n are the default)
    step 6. now you have to do the only hard part...send the break command:

Break command list: Break Commands

Go down the list and match your OS and SW and try the sequence suggested.

If this fails several times do what I do: Install putty (free) and then to send a break so you can get into rommom just hit "ctrl-a b".

IggSter, Jan 27, 2021
  4. Boot order gets reset after every restart

Can't Change Boot Order

Cloned original C:\ drive to an SSD drive then followed the windows procedure to get to BIOS to change the boot order:

• Settings
    • Update and Security
    • Recovery - Restart Now
    • Troubleshoot
    • Advanced Options
    • UEFI Firmware Settings
    • Restart
    The last restart does not take me to BIOS. I just get a blank screen. Esc key gets me back to Windows, but I don't want to format the original C:\ drive for other use until I am able to change the boot order. How do I do that?

GregCowling, Jan 27, 2021
Thema:

Boot order gets reset after every restart

1. Boot order gets reset after every restart - Similar Threads - Boot order gets

2. Settings reset after every restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Settings reset after every restart: For some time now my setting have been reset every time i power on my compuer. The main thing is my mouse settings. Every time i turn on the computer "Enhance pointer presicion" gets checked. The Pointer speed also get higher every time. Sometimes the vertical scrolling...
  3. Settings reset after every restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Settings reset after every restart: For some time now my setting have been reset every time i power on my compuer. The main thing is my mouse settings. Every time i turn on the computer "Enhance pointer presicion" gets checked. The Pointer speed also get higher every time. Sometimes the vertical scrolling...
  4. How can I stop windows from resetting boot order every restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I stop windows from resetting boot order every restart: I am intending to dual boot windows and linux with rEFInd boot manager. I have installed the manager correctly and set the windows boot manager path to rEFInd's but when I restart, it still boots into windows. Even if I move refind up in the boot order, change the path with a...
  5. How can I stop windows from resetting boot order every restart

How can I stop windows from resetting boot order every restart: I am intending to dual boot windows and linux with rEFInd boot manager. I have installed the manager correctly and set the windows boot manager path to rEFInd's but when I restart, it still boots into windows. Even if I move refind up in the boot order, change the path with a...
  6. Boot Order geting reset

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Boot Order geting reset: Hi, my area is having load shedding but I put my pc off before it went off. But when the power is back on it fails to boot, I go into bios and see my boot order is reset, no longer showing my harddrive on top. This happened twice now and I'd like to know if I should plug my...
  7. Boot Order geting reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Boot Order geting reset: Hi, my area is having load shedding but I put my pc off before it went off. But when the power is back on it fails to boot, I go into bios and see my boot order is reset, no longer showing my harddrive on top. This happened twice now and I'd like to know if I should plug my...
  8. Boot Order geting reset

9. Boot order not getting saved

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Boot order not getting saved: Hello,I have been looking for malware in my computer since I observed some suspicious stuff in Event Viewer config file getting deleted from the Active Health app, registry changes being made, Microsoft password not getting accepted for reset etc. - the Windows Defender Scans...
  10. I have to boot up and then restart in order to get internet connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I have to boot up and then restart in order to get internet connection: The first time I boot up everything goes well, except the internet icon has a red x on it and a message that says "no internet connectivity and none available". I then restart the computer and it boots up the same as the first time, except I now have an internet connection....