Windows 10: Boot partition issue

Discus and support Boot partition issue in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Background: I was planning to upgrade one of my SATA SSD's that I use for storage to another larger one. When I unplugged that SSD, my PC refused to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by MahmoudAbu Awad, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Boot partition issue

Background: I was planning to upgrade one of my SATA SSD's that I use for storage to another larger one. When I unplugged that SSD, my PC refused to boot, even though Windows 10 is installed on my NVMe.

With my humble knowledge in knowing how a PC boots, I came to the conclusion that the boot partition where the EFI is located in on my SATA SSD and not on my NVMe, even though Windows is installed on the latter.

In the disk management utility, a 200 MB "EFI System Partition" was indeed partitioned on the SATA SSD, and the NVMe had no such partition; it only had one partition that reads "Boot, Page File, Cache Dump, Basic Data Partition".

So my question is: Is there a way to boot without the SATA SSD without having to reinstall Windows altogether? Maybe I could somehow partition out an EFI system partition on my NVMe? Maybe that partition is completely unnecessary and I'm looking at this problem the wrong way? I also fiddled with every possible option on my BIOS regarding Legacy/UEFI boot options, and the PC only boots when the SataSSD is plugged in.

The thing is I don't even know how this even happened, since that SATA SSD was never used as a boot SSD, and I did a clean install of Windows on my NVMe a while back, but as far as I can tell Windows cut the boot sector on the SSD when I installed it and dumped itself on the NVMe.

Any help would be appreciated.

:)

MahmoudAbu Awad, Jan 6, 2021
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Jan 6, 2021
  3. /boot Partition?

[Solved] /boot Partition?

Ok, I like playing around with multiple operating systems so I tend to have a few installed at a time. My issue is related to the bootloader. Every new Linux OS I install installs its own version of Grub. That's fine until you delete that partition.... *Bang Head :banghead:

I was thinking about creating a small (ie ~50MB) partition that /boot will reside on. This way I can have one copy of Grub that would boot my several OS(s) depending on what they are. I think this is a good idea so I can delete one OS's partition and still be able to boot the other OS(s).

Unfortunately, I am not an expert with bootloaders and I'm not really sure how /boot has to do with booting. Can someone tell me how feasible my idea is? I'm looking for a way to have multiple OS(s) but only one bootloader so when I delete one OS, the bootloader will still be intact.

Any ideas/suggestions/advice is appreciated! *Smile Boot partition issue :)

angelkiller, Jan 6, 2021
  4. Boot partition issue

/boot Partition?

If you have a newer CPU, I would suggest using some Virtualization software.

Virtual machine software that's free like Virtual Box or a "to buy" one like Vmware...

You can install, mess with and even straight up destroy OS's in a nice, safe little sandbox, and it doesn't hamper a thing *Wink Boot partition issue ;)

Dippyskoodlez, Jan 6, 2021
Thema:

Boot partition issue

1. Boot partition issue - Similar Threads - Boot partition issue

2. boot partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    boot partition: Virtual Disk Service error: Clean is not allowed on the disk containing the current boot, system, pagefile, crashdump or hibernation volume.I am getting this error in my diskpart while cleaning my second ssd which doesnt have windows. I want to shift this current boot system,...
  3. boot partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    boot partition: Virtual Disk Service error: Clean is not allowed on the disk containing the current boot, system, pagefile, crashdump or hibernation volume.I am getting this error in my diskpart while cleaning my second ssd which doesnt have windows. I want to shift this current boot system,...
  4. Partition Issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Partition Issue: I recently installed a new M.2 drive that ive installed the OS onto, what ive since noticed via minitool partition wizard is that there is 3 other partitions along with the C Drive, are they all needed or can i merge hem into 1 drive? 176615
  5. Missing boot partition

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Missing boot partition: 1. The workstation I use in the university consists of an SSD and a mechanical HDD. Recently the HDD failed and caused the system to not boot into windows 10. I tried installing the HDD on other devices, and subsequently those devices fail to boot as well. 2. However, the...
  6. Change boot partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Change boot partition: I had experimented with Virtual drives but have since turned off that services and expected the C: drive to drop from it's much larger usage back to it's original smaller size but that didn't happen. I found another drive that Windows 10 had created and copied the original...
  7. Inconsistent booting issues and related disk partitioning issues

Inconsistent booting issues and related disk partitioning issues: I've been having inconsistent booting issues where sometimes it will boot to BIOS and then I'll select the C: drive I want to boot from and it works fine. Othertimes, it just boots normally. I've expiriemtns with different UEFI on/off settings and ordered the drives how I...
  8. Partition issue

Partition issue: Before i go about with my problem I need to ask if I am in the right forum wanting to get answers to my partition issue? No sense in wasting both our time right? 88888
  9. Moving Boot Partition

Moving Boot Partition: Hey all, This is probably much simpler than I expect, but I can't find any specific instructions myself and I do NOT want to mess anything up here. I want to separate my data and boot files. I have two 1TB hard drives and a 320GB. I want to move the boot drive and...
  10. Partition issue with Win10/Ubuntu dual-boot installation.

Partition issue with Win10/Ubuntu dual-boot installation.: I was running Win7 and Ubuntu. Win7 suddenly refused to boot, so I deleted the partition with plans to uninstall. Win7 didn't like the drive anymore (couldn't create or find system partition). I tried various attempts with diskpart to repair the bootsector and MBR, to no...