Windows 10: Boot password scam?

Discus and support Boot password scam? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; When I was using my computer Monday 9/11/18 I got a big blue popup full screen the same color as my desktop screen allegedly from Microsoft stating I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by KarenHale1, Sep 14, 2018.

1. KarenHale1 Win User

Boot password scam?

When I was using my computer Monday 9/11/18 I got a big blue popup full screen the same color as my desktop screen allegedly from Microsoft stating I needed to enter my product key. It instructed me to go onto a different computer to get the information from Microsoft (the popup occupied my entire screen. I followed the instructions and went on another computer to what appeared a legitimate Microsoft site (https and all) and got the information and entered it the big blue popup. It wanted me to create a password and check the boot settings. I changed one setting to only Microsoft can change boot settings and exited. Earlier in the day I had gotten a bunch of calls allegedly from Microsoft tech people ( showed up on landline caller ID) I knew these were scams and did not answer but my spouse gave me one he picked up and I told him loudly that it was a scam call and had him hang up. That night around 10:45 pm was when I got the boot popup. Was I scammed? If yes what should I do now.

:)

KarenHale1, Sep 14, 2018
  2. Solar-Eclipse Win User

scam need to change password

Complete scam.

• Contact your financial institutions and tell them you were the victim of a scam and follow their recommendations
    • Clean install Windows 10 so that it formats and erases everything on your computer
    • Change all on-line passwords

Solar-Eclipse, Sep 17, 2018 at 11:41 AM
  3. ChevyOwner Win User
    OK, Password problem...Mint

Reset forgotten/lost main user password in Linux Mint - Linux Mint Community
    You can reset your password following the next steps:

• Reboot your computer / Turn your computer on.
    • Hold down the Shift key at the start of the boot process to enable the GNU GRUB boot menu (if it does not show)
    • Press ESC at the GNU GRUB prompt.
    • Press e for edit.
    • Use the Arrow keys to highlight the line that begins with kernel and press the e key.
    • Go to the very end of the line and add rw init=/bin/bash
    • Press Enter and then press b to boot your system.
    • Your system will boot up to a passwordless root shell.
    • Type in passwd yourusername
    • Set your new password.
    • Restart your system.

4. Namslas90 Win User

Boot password scam?

admin password?

You can reset the Admin Password using Windows XP repair; See Here for step by step.

*Toast :toast:

Thema:

Boot password scam?

1. Boot password scam? - Similar Threads - Boot password scam

2. scam?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    scam?: My Daughter received a call from E Wizard support claiming that someone was trying to hack her computer. She purchased this computer over two years ago which had webroot as it's Anti virus protection program. I recently deleted webroot and installed avg anti virus (free...
  3. scam???

scam???: My computer was locked up this morning. Blocked supposedly my Microsoft. Long story short, I probably did exactly what you shouldn't do … I called the number. I was soon connected with a tech. He seemed very knowledgeable. Told me what was going on in my computer while I...
  4. Scam

Scam: I received an email with a recording telling me my computer was compromised. it gave me a phone number to call and someone helped. his number is 1-877-997-4999. I'm hoping this wasn't a scam....
  5. Is this a scam?

Is this a scam?: A week ago I was watching videos on Youtube. Then all of a sudden, a new window on pops up saying its a Microsoft webpage, and that that it has detected a virus and spyware in my computer. It was also asking me for my Microsoft username and password, and was saying that I...
  6. Scam???

Scam???: I received a phone call from someone saying they were with Mircrosoft and telling me that my IP has beeb hacked in several countries and I should stay on the line to connect to a representative to fix the problem. Funny thing is the caller ID listed my name and phone number...
  7. Scam or not?

Scam or not?: Hi TOM_805, celeptdaylan has replied to your question ADblock not working on video ads in MSN in Microsoft Community. Thank You For Posting in Microsoft Community. Call Microsoft online support +1-888-344-0222 Between 10:00 AM to 7:00 PM EST. We will Help you to fix your...
  8. scam

scam: Has anyone ever had a problem with a tech group called 247teckies? [moved] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_other-protect_scanning-windows_10/scam/d112e0bb-c52c-4453-80d0-083bb5fdddc0
  9. Scammed

Scammed: My ICLOUD was used in Mexico to make purchases of 1 item Value $19.99 ICLOUD Storage Plan 2 TB. Device Used was IPHONE 6Plus How was it done? I had just switched to hibernate for bed when instinct made me return. Since changed all passwords deleted Apple Payments as They...
  10. Is this a scam?? -

in Browsers and Email
    Is this a scam?? -: [img] Not replied to this of course, since I am not "member@hotmail.com". Does anyone else have this? I don't use Outlook as such - just webmail in my browser. Seems like a phishing scam trying to get me to expose my email address? 82272