Windows 10: Boot priority is automatically set to HDD instead of SSD causing boot issues

Discus and support Boot priority is automatically set to HDD instead of SSD causing boot issues in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So i recently installed a fresh copy of windows 1909 on an SSD I recently purchased, and while installing my windows i disconnected my HDD and all was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Hamid Iqbal, Jul 26, 2020.

1. Boot priority is automatically set to HDD instead of SSD causing boot issues

So i recently installed a fresh copy of windows 1909 on an SSD I recently purchased, and while installing my windows i disconnected my HDD and all was normal, I got into windows set it up and so on, then i reconnected my HDD and all my files showed up including the old copy of windowsthinking that i would not need the old installation of windows i deleted those files and only kept the important files from HDD and then I shut sown my computer and then the next time I turned it on, this happened when it was booting there was a sudden pop-up saying that the computer can't boot into windows 10 because of the following reasons :

The boot manager couldn't find the file winload.efi

then it asked me to hit escape to enter the boot menu of my device and then I went straight into the boot devices and selected the SSD and to my surprise it booted like normal, but here's the catch, somehow the computer still thinks that the Hard drive contains the primary windows 10 and so whenever I start the system i have to go into boot menu everytime to then boot from the SSD and this happens only when the Hard drive is connectedthat is if the hard drive isn't connected i don't get any error message.

Now even though i have set the boot order in such a way that the SSD boots before the Hard drive, even then I don't know why the machine looks for windows 10 in the hard drive first......like I am not able to set the SSD as the priority/primary boot device in my BIOS resulting in the popup every time I start the computer.

Also i searched the internet many times to learn how to set the priority for my boot device in the computer that I have HP elitedesk 800 G1 not SFF and I can't find any tutorial on how to set the priority boot device on this machine or any one similar to it.

So i would like to ask any kind of fix for this popup problem due to my computer booting to my hard drive first, I mean am i supposed to somehow set the SSD as the priority device in the BIOSwhich i dont know how to as there is no such word as priority or primary boot device, as far as i Know only the boot order can be changed , which I have already done, so kindly anyone please tell me how to change it through the BIOS or any other way to fix this problem.

PLEASE help me fix this as soon as possible

I would really appreciate you help,

Thanking ya'll in advance.

:)

Hamid Iqbal, Jul 26, 2020
  2. DaveM121 Win User

New SSD wont boot

Hi John

Boot into BIOS, is SATA Mode set to AHCI to enable booting from an SSD drive?

Is the SSD drive set a top of the Boot Priority list?

Did you try connecting that SSD to the SATA Port normally used by your old HDD?

DaveM121, Jul 26, 2020
  3. Windows 10 random automatic repair after changing boot priority.

Hello. So i have an Windows 10 Pro. Sometimes when i am changing in bios boot order from USB to HDD ( SDD ) windows starts booting with AUTOMATIC REPAIR and then restarting. Is this something with BIOS \ Windows 10 bug related? Tested on pc and on laptop , and sometimes it doing the same.

Situation on PC first,listen:

Few days ago after i change boot in UEFI BIOS from USB to SSD.
    Then Windows 10 showed at 1 boot Automatic Repair.
    When starting Windows 10 boot loader starts by "preparing automatic repair" and diagnosing pc.
    Interesting is that if I restart Windows (after procedure mentioned earlier) it will boot normally. This startup problem was occured only when starting system again after shutdown or restarted pc from windows.So i was needed 2 boots to boot properly to windows.
    But on pc, format was needed to remove completely issue and after format is fine.

Pc :
    2x8gb Kingston Hyperx 1600mhz DDR3
    SSD samsung Evo 250 gb
    4790k stock
    Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 with UEFI BIOS

Now laptop with old standard bios:
    On laptop i made the same operation, change boot from USB to HDD and on first boot Windows 10 shows Automatic Repair. But it happened once and i cant reproduce. No format was needed.

laptop is very old with 2gb ram

Why on pc format was needed when on laptop not?

Thanks for suggestions.

litwicki24, Jul 26, 2020
  4. NavyLCDR Win User

Boot priority is automatically set to HDD instead of SSD causing boot issues

Can`t get my laptop to boot from m.2 SSd instead of old HDD

Sounds like you need to go into UEFI setup and change the boot priority order. It's set to boot from SATA first. When the HDD is disconnected, it moves on down the list and finds the SSD to boot from. Reconnect the HDD and it finds it first because it is likely at the top of the list.

NavyLCDR, Jul 26, 2020
Thema:

Boot priority is automatically set to HDD instead of SSD causing boot issues

1. Boot priority is automatically set to HDD instead of SSD causing boot issues - Similar Threads - Boot priority automatically

2. change win boot manager to start with an ssd instead of an hdd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    change win boot manager to start with an ssd instead of an hdd: want to boot from a ssd that is labeled C: but win 11 always boots from F: which is an HDD; cannot change in UEFI on mobo and when I try to change uefi boot order get error message that cannot find files; as of now have win 11 installed in both C and F but win boot manager...
  3. change win boot manager to start with an ssd instead of an hdd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    change win boot manager to start with an ssd instead of an hdd: want to boot from a ssd that is labeled C: but win 11 always boots from F: which is an HDD; cannot change in UEFI on mobo and when I try to change uefi boot order get error message that cannot find files; as of now have win 11 installed in both C and F but win boot manager...
  4. Cloned HDD to SSD, how to set SSD as Boot?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cloned HDD to SSD, how to set SSD as Boot?: I've recently got my new SSD and cloned the HDD to it. When I went back to the BIOS to set the boot priority and restarted the computer, it wouldn't boot Windows 10 "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key". My SSD is...
  5. Cloned HDD to SSD, how to set SSD as Boot?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cloned HDD to SSD, how to set SSD as Boot?: I've recently got my new SSD and cloned the HDD to it. When I went back to the BIOS to set the boot priority and restarted the computer, it wouldn't boot Windows 10 "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key". My SSD is...
  6. Cloned HDD to SSD, how to set SSD as Boot?

7. How to set SSD as a boot priority

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to set SSD as a boot priority: Hi, I switched from HDD to SSD, but I don’t know how to set SSD as my boot priority. In boot priority order there is only windows boot manager. So I took HDD out of PC and now it wants me to select proper boot device. And instead of windows boot manager there is hard disk in...
  8. How to set SSD as a boot priority

How to set SSD as a boot priority: Hi, I switched from HDD to SSD, but I don’t know how to set SSD as my boot priority. In boot priority order there is only windows boot manager. So I took HDD out of PC and now it wants me to select proper boot device. And instead of windows boot manager there is hard disk in...
  9. Windows Boot Manager priority over HDD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Boot Manager priority over HDD?: I might've let the Windows Boot Manager as the second option by mistake, over my HDD, when reinstalling my Windows. Is there anything bad that can happen to my Windows Setup? I use the Manager to open the PC as well. Can there be anything bad that can happen if I run the...
  10. SSD Not Booting Automatically

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD Not Booting Automatically: My SSD drive with Windows 10 Pro on it stopped automatically booting when turning on my computer a few days ago. All I can remember is that I installed MS-Office 2013 Professional Plus the night before. Everything was working normally until I tried to start my computer the...