Windows 10: Boot problem after replacing system disk

Discus and support Boot problem after replacing system disk in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I've just upgraded the system disk on my main PC from a 1TB SSD to a 2TB one. Everything was working fine beforehand, but now the PC will only boot if... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/T_at, Nov 28, 2020.

1. /u/T_at Win User

Boot problem after replacing system disk

I've just upgraded the system disk on my main PC from a 1TB SSD to a 2TB one. Everything was working fine beforehand, but now the PC will only boot if I go into the BIOS boot menu and select the new SSD to boot from.

Both SSDs are Samsung, so I used the Samsung Data Migration Software to clone the 1TB disk onto the 2TB one.

If I leave the 1TB drive connected, the PC will boot using that, but if I disconnect it I get a "System failed to start" bluescreen, unless as mentioned above I hit F8 to enter the boot menu.

The motherboard is an Asus Z87-Pro, and I suspect that there may be something in the BIOS that needs to be changed, but I'm not sure what. Any suggestions?

submitted by /u/T_at
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/T_at, Nov 28, 2020
  2. dalchina Win User

Windows 10 1709 System Restore problems...

That seems to be an attempt at Option 2 in the tutorial, which requires you to
    a. Boot to a command prompt (Did you?)
    b. You then seem to be mixing steps 3,4 and 5, thus your command is incorrect.

I suggest Option 1 is easier.

If you still have problems, please repost listing each specific step and saying which option from the tutorial you are using. Thanks.

dalchina, Nov 28, 2020
  3. System boot-disk problem

Hi,

Just to clarify, you are facing an issue booting the system, is that correct?

If so, I suggest you to try performing a startup repair using the installation media and check if it helps.

Startup Repair is a Windows recovery tool that can fix certain system problems that might prevent Windows from starting. Startup Repair scans your computer for the problem and then tries to fix it so your computer can start correctly.

• Connect the installation media to your nonfunctional PC, and then turn it on.

• On the initial setup screen, enter your language and other preferences, and then select
      Next. If you're not seeing the setup screen, your PC might not be set up to boot from a drive. Check your PC manufacturer's website for info on how to change your PC's boot order, and then try again.

• Select Repair your computer.

• On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot >Advanced options >Startup repair
    If that doesn't help, select Command prompt in the windows recovery environment window and proceed with the steps provided below:

Type these following commands and hit enter after each line of command:

Bootrec /fixmbr

Bootrec /fixboot

Bootrec /scanos

Bootrec /rebuildbcd

Let us know the result, we will be glad to help if you need further assistance.

Wungraileng Vashi, Nov 28, 2020
  4. ram93 Win User

laptop doesnt boot automatically

This is what happened.

1. Did a repair install and later disabled hibertnate in CMD.
    2. Enabled legacy option ROM in BIOS.
    3. After a few times startup ( i used the system in such mode for 5 days), changed boot option back to default.
    4. Vola!! It boots automatically to win10 without any keypress. Tested it with many starts to confirm the same.
    5. Re-enabled hibernate option using CMD and later selected Fast Startup.
    6. System booted normally, without the need for any keypress.

I do not know exactly whether such steps resolved the problem or what else happened, hence cannot suggest above steps.

Many thanks to all members who helped to troubleshoot problems.

ram93, Nov 28, 2020
Thema:

1. Boot problem after replacing system disk - Similar Threads - Boot problem replacing

2. reused replace disks

in Windows 10 Gaming
    reused replace disks: Hello --- I just replace my HHD to SSD on my laptop --- I got an enclosure for the HHD to reuse it as a usb drive, I then connected it to the computer, via usb -- I started "disk mgmt." but when I "right clicked" on some of the partitions, I did not get the regular content...
  3. reused replace disks

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    reused replace disks: Hello --- I just replace my HHD to SSD on my laptop --- I got an enclosure for the HHD to reuse it as a usb drive, I then connected it to the computer, via usb -- I started "disk mgmt." but when I "right clicked" on some of the partitions, I did not get the regular content...
  4. reused replace disks

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Advise on system image and a boot disk.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Advise on system image and a boot disk.: Win 10 Pro OS. 19042.870 Its been some time since being on and requiring advise of others on these forums. A brief pre-amble, I lost my wife, the kids their mother two years ago, went to bed as we had for the past 25 years, I awoke next morning to find her dead next to me, no...
  6. Reactivation problems after replacing motherboard

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reactivation problems after replacing motherboard: Hi everyone, Yesterday, I replaced my motherboard on my PC, and now my Windows won't reactivate. I had the free upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 Pro, and I'm fairly sure there is supposed to be a licence attached to my account, but I don't know how to find it. I had...
  7. Password problems after motherboard replacement

Password problems after motherboard replacement: Long story short, my motherboard caught fire and I replaced it. Everything else is the same: processor, SSD, and even all my work and games still exist here, just with the little Windows Activation notification watermark in the corner. I know that you can re-activate Windows...
  8. After SSD replacement, the system is not activated

After SSD replacement, the system is not activated: My old PC broke down and I took the SSD drive and put it into another PC which I am using now. I have a problem with the latter PC. It requires that I activate the system though it was activated before the replacement. How can I activate the system?...
  9. Activation problem after hard disk replacement

Activation problem after hard disk replacement: I bought a Dell laptop 5 years back with windows 8.1 pre-loaded. After some time it was upgraded to Windows 10 without any challenge. Recently the hard disc crashed and it had to be replaced. The technician retrieved the embedded Windows 8.1 activation key through...
  10. Cannot boot to Local Disk after interrupting system restore

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot boot to Local Disk after interrupting system restore: Hi all I recently attempted a system restore but during the procedure the power was cut unexpectedly. Since then I have not been able to reach the desktop on the SSD I have my Windows 10 Home OS installed on. A generic blue error screen pops up after the BIOS splash...