Windows 10: Boot problems - BCD Win 10

Discus and support Boot problems - BCD Win 10 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello everyone, thank you in advance for reading: I have a Lenovo ThinkCentre which came with Win10 installed on an SSD, with a HDD for documents.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by DMWillms, Mar 26, 2020.

1. DMWillms Win User

Boot problems - BCD Win 10

Hello everyone, thank you in advance for reading:

I have a Lenovo ThinkCentre which came with Win10 installed on an SSD, with a HDD for documents.

At some far removed time in the past, I started getting the following error:

Boot Configuration Data file doesn't contain valid information for an operating system

File: /BCD

Error Code: 0x0000098

I found a solution that seemed to work:

boot to command prompt, run bootrec /fixmbr, bootrec /fixboot, and then bootrec /rebuildbcd

When I would do that, the computer would reboot and/or start just fine. For a time. At least until Windows Update ran.

Then the BCD error would be thrown again.

Now that routine doesn't seem to work any longer.

After research, I found this page:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...oubleshooting-boot-problems#boot-loader-phase

I started working through the proposed steps.

I have tried the StartUp repair tool, with no change.

If I run scanos at the command prompt, there are 0 Windows installations found.

If I try to export and rebuild the BCD, I have no C:\boot directory to put the BCD in. I was tempted just to mdir this subdirectory and resume the procedure, but then I noticed something peculiar.

After looking a little more closely, I see that my SSD Windows disk is drive D: in the command prompt, but shows up as C: inside File Explorer in Windows. D: has no \boot subdirectory either, just FYI. My documents HDD is drive C: in the command prompt, but shows as E: in File Explorer in Windows.

In DiskPart, I see this:

Disk ### Status. Size. Free. Dyn. Gpt

Disk 0. Online. 931GB. 219GB *

Disk 1 Online 238GB. 0GB. *

Disk 1

Partition ### Type. Size Offset

Partition 1 System 260 MB 1024 KB

Partition 2 Reserved 16 MB 261 MB

Partition 3 Primary 237 MB 277 MB
    Partition 4 Recovery 1000 MB 237 GB

Disk 0

Partition ### Type. Size Offset

Partition 1 Reserved 128 MB 1024 KB

Partition 2 Primary 711 GB 129 MB

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info

Volume 0 F DVD-ROM 0 B No Media

Volume 1 C DavesDocs NTFS Partition 711 GB Healthy

Volume 2 D Windows NTFS Partition 237 GB Healthy

Volume 3 WinRE_DRV NTFS Partition 1000 MB Healthy

Volume 4 SYSTEM FAT32 Partition 260 MB Healthy Hidden

I am wary of continuing because the mismatch between the Windows drive D: in command prompt, C: in Windows, and the fact that the documents drive is apparently addressed as C: during the boot procedure seems like a real good reason that the OS cannot be found.

Can anyone advise on my next steps towards resolving this?

Thanks.

:)

DMWillms, Mar 26, 2020
  2. topgundcp Win User

How to clean up BCD entries? Rebuild the BCD?

This is normal that under Recovery Environment, The letters are re-assigned. This is why you have to be careful and select the correct one.
    @dictum
    Advice: Never use Easy BCD with Windows installed using GPT disk. Use Easy UEFI instead provided you know what you are doing. Easy BCD only works with MBR disk type.
    Base on the screen shot above. Your disk 0 is your new Windows and your disk 1 contains the old Windows. Disk 3 contains a 512MB Fat32 partition and I don't know what that is. I suggest you disconnect disk 3 for now before proceeding.

Let rebuild new BCD's for both disk 0, and disk 1. Please follow step by step on the 2 screen shots below. On step 3, write down the drive letter for PM981_New. In the screen shot, My Windows is still assigned to C but it might be different from yours. In step 10, if the drive letter is different than C, then use the letter in step 3.

Do exactly the same for disk 1, this time select disk 1 in step 4 and assign letter V in step 7, Use V and the drive letter for Old Windows in step 10. This will create a new BCD for PM981_Old and you will be able to boot separately from boot menu.

From boot menu, select which one to boot from.
    Once booted into Windows. If you wish, you can set up dual boot for Windows old & New. Under This PC, look for the drive letter of the offline Windows and type:
    bcdboot X:\Windows where X is the letter of the offline Windows

Boot problems - BCD Win 10 [​IMG]

Boot problems - BCD Win 10 [​IMG]

topgundcp, Mar 26, 2020
  3. rk3066 Win User
    Win.10 won't boot after installing Win.7

Hi,

So i installed Win.10 via the UEFI and after installing Win.7 on Legacy Mode onto a different HDD i can't boot into Win.10 (I believe can only because Win.10 was installed via UEFI)

I tried installing the BCD Software but nope. I even tried to select my HDD but say Winload.exe error

Even tried going into the USB and try repairing but the same thing happens

rk3066, Mar 26, 2020
  4. Boot problems - BCD Win 10

Windows defender offline error: EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD - 0xc0000185

Hi Dave,

Could you provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the make and model of your device?
    • Have you made any changes to the operating system prior to this issue?
    • Are you able to boot the device to desktop with this error message?

This issue might have occurred due to corruption in the boot files or BOIS unable to detect your drive to boot.

I suggest you to refer to the below thread, check if your issue matches with the same.

If so, try the troubleshooting steps suggested by -.[Final]#[Boss].- and check if
    it helps.

Error code after update File:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot BCD
    Error Code 0xc0000185 BSOD

Hope this information is helpful.

SujataMoktan, Mar 26, 2020
Thema:

Boot problems - BCD Win 10

1. Boot problems - BCD Win 10 - Similar Threads - Boot problems BCD

2. What is the solution to BCD Boot Problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    What is the solution to BCD Boot Problem: When my PC wasn't booting I rebuilt the BCD of my windows 10 pc from the command prompt available in recovery through a video I watched on YouTube. The computer won't still boot and there's no recovery due to the rebuilt BCD. Pls what do I do, I need to recover my files....
  3. What is the solution to BCD Boot Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is the solution to BCD Boot Problem: When my PC wasn't booting I rebuilt the BCD of my windows 10 pc from the command prompt available in recovery through a video I watched on YouTube. The computer won't still boot and there's no recovery due to the rebuilt BCD. Pls what do I do, I need to recover my files....
  4. What is the solution to BCD Boot Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Microsoft BCD BOOT INSTALL

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microsoft BCD BOOT INSTALL: Windows 10 BCD BOOT INSTALL for 0xc000000225,0xc0000001. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-bcd-boot-install/7f2e0bed-cffb-4551-901e-28da8231ea63
  6. Easy BCD boot assistance

Easy BCD boot assistance: HP G6 i3 usb2.0 laptop. Came with Win 7 Home on a 5400rpm HD. Got USB 3.0 10 port powered hub. Installed new Samsung SSD with Win 10 on 1st of three partitions. Win 8.1 and Linux on other partitions. Works Fine. Need to boot to external 5400rpm HD via USB to run work related...
  7. BCD Corrupted? Cannot boot Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    BCD Corrupted? Cannot boot Windows 10: Hello all, my computer had a BSOD and upon rebooting, it doesn't boot into Windows 10 anymore. It reboot loops when trying to load Windows (circle with dots). I've entered recovery and tried to use the following commands in Command Prompt: bootrec /fixmbr --> Ok bootrec...
  8. BCD Error at the time of booting Windows 10

BCD Error at the time of booting Windows 10: Dear Sir, My PC has Windows 10. When I boot, only mouse pointer appears on blank screen. I tried to use Windows 10 installation USB drive to repair but the following error appears. Pl help. [ATTACH]...
  9. boot BCD 0xc0000034

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    boot BCD 0xc0000034: ช่วยทีครับคอมขึ้น boot BCD 0xc0000034 แล้วพอเปิดไว้สักพักเครื่องรีสต๊าทตลอดเลย แล้วก็ปิดเครื่องไม่ได้ ปิดปุ๊ปก็เปิดใหม่ตลอดต้องถอดปลั๊กอย่างเดียว https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/boot-bcd-0xc0000034/f8ad963c-967b-4462-b369-f966c84c60b8
  10. Have a Blackscreen BCD error. Win 10 Boot up

in Windows 10 Customization
    Have a Blackscreen BCD error. Win 10 Boot up: When starting from C drive get a black-screen BCD error. When starting from a CD or a recovery thumb drive get a blue screen error. Tried the 3 stop start cycle to get into safe mode for booting. This does not work. system just stops with the fore mentioned errors.. With...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bootrec is not finding windows 10 installations