Windows 10: Boot slower overtime on SSD

Discus and support Boot slower overtime on SSD in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi! I need some help on this because I can't really figure out what's going on. A few months ago my 7200 RPM HDD died on me, so I took that as an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by marmalade22, May 5, 2020.

1. Boot slower overtime on SSD

Hi! I need some help on this because I can't really figure out what's going on.

A few months ago my 7200 RPM HDD died on me, so I took that as an opportunity and switched to SSD. It's a Kingston A400 with 240 GB capacity.

At first the boot time was pretty quick, around 10 - 15 seconds, even with Fast Boot disabled. But overtime, it started to take longer and longer. The SSD itself appears to be fine, as CrystalDiskMark shows expected write and read values. Also I ran CrystalDiskInfo and says everything's fine too. CHKDSK and WD LifeGuard showed no errors whatsoever.

I made some research and downloaded the Windows Perfomance Recorder, and found out the Winlogon phase is taking way too long. However the Windows Perfomance Analyzer is way too complex to me and I can't pinpoint the problem properly.

Things I tried to no avail:

- Boot with no 3rd party services running
    - Updating the SATA driver
    - Uninstalling (not unplugging) the DVD drive

Specs:

- 8GB RAM
    - Intel Core i5-4430 3.0 gHz
    - Kingston A400 240 GB SSD
    - Windows 10 Version 1909 (18363.815)

You may find the log here: DESKTOP-T0RIQN9.05-05-2020.09-57-29_normal.Boot_1.zip - Google Drive

It's pretty compressed so it may take some time to unzip.

:)

marmalade22, May 5, 2020
  2. 40wnks Win User

Boot time is getting slower and slower

I built my latest PC and upgraded the Windows 10 Home 32 bit to 64 bit back in December. I have 32GB RAM and have an I7 processor. My boot times continue to get slower and slower the past several months. I have googled solutions and tried many including booting into safe (no faster), using msconfig and the bootlog and verbose boot log and disabling services etc. Nothing seems to improve it. The OS is on a 256 GB OCZ SSD. I would love suggestions to speed up the boot which is about 4 minutes now. Would doing a clean install with a newly purchased Windows 10 Home or Pro solve it. That is my last choice. Thanks for reading.
    Thanks,
    Bill

40wnks, May 5, 2020
  3. Unable to boot Windows after cloning it to SSD

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues while booting the PC after cloning Windows to new SSD. I would like to know what happens when you try to boot the PC to desktop using SSD?

The reason you are not able to boot the PC is that the files required to boot Windows are still recognizing the HDD as the main drive. I would suggest you to try rebuilding the BCD files and see if you are able to boot the PC using
    SSD.

Kindly follow the steps below to rebuild the BCD.

1. Create a bootable media and boot the PC using the media.
    2. On the Install Windows screen, select Next >
      Repair your computer.
    3. On the System Recovery Options screen, select
      Troubleshoot
      > Advanced options > Command Prompt.
    4. Now type in the commands and hit enter: BOOTREC /FIXMBR

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

BOOTREC /scanos

BOOTREC /rebuildbcd
    5. Restart the PC.

If the issue persists, please get back to us with the results of the troubleshooting steps to assist you further.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, May 5, 2020
  4. badrobot Win User

Boot slower overtime on SSD

Boot time is getting slower and slower

Getting a new Windows License has nothing to do with boot up speed. If you are considering a clean install, that is your best bet. If you have an activated Windows 10, you don't have to worry about license. Just skip that part during installation and it will get activated after completing the installation. Go for it!
    With SSD, the longest boot up time should not take more than a minute.
    Mine takes 9 sec (with M.2 SSD).

badrobot, May 5, 2020
Thema:

Boot slower overtime on SSD

1. Boot slower overtime on SSD - Similar Threads - Boot slower overtime

2. Is it walpaper make laptop boot slower

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Is it walpaper make laptop boot slower: after i change background from my minecraft background to another walpaper it's make my laptop boot slower but when i was change it to minecraft background again it's boot faster.I can't speak english very well...
  3. pc slow down overtime

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    pc slow down overtime: my pc specs are i3 7th gen laptop 8gb ram 1tb hddmy pc slows down after few hours of usage i.e casual browsing and zoom meetingswhen i restart pc it work fine for some time and then after using it for like 1-2 hours it starts to slow down and system responsiveness also...
  4. computer decaying overtime

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    computer decaying overtime: So, I had gotten a computer in about late April. during the summer, I installed some software and my computer went a little slow. in about august I think, I had decided to participate in the windows insider developer channel program. I installed a few updates, and my computer...
  5. Windows 10 Pro slower boot from SSD #2 than SSD #1

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Pro slower boot from SSD #2 than SSD #1: Hey guys; I just did a new build. ASUS Tuf Gaming X570 Plus WiFi AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 32GB 3200MHz RAM Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 Super Storage: 2ea WD Blue SN550 1TB; one on M.2_1 and one on M.2_2 When I first installed Windows 10 Pro, I put it on the M.2_2 disk. Why? Because...
  6. Slower PC: Possible SSD or HDD problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Slower PC: Possible SSD or HDD problem: Two weeks ago more or less i started noticing that PC was slower, while playing games, which is mostly what i do since its a gaming setup. I started to get slower, laggy and sometimes freezes. To a point where it completely freezed windows functions, the bar wasnt working and...
  7. SAMSUNG 970 EVO boot slower than nomal SSD

SAMSUNG 970 EVO boot slower than nomal SSD: I've just upgraded my boot drive from an old SSD to a Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (500GB) but windows task manager is showing my last BIOS time as being 20 seconds where as with my old ssd wa around 10s. Pls help! 130098
  8. Windows boots fast with just SSD but much slower with SSD plus HDD

Windows boots fast with just SSD but much slower with SSD plus HDD: Why is it that my computer boots in seconds with just an SSD where Windows is installed but about 4X as long when I attach a secondary hard drive? Thanks! 119360
  9. Boot time is getting slower and slower

Boot time is getting slower and slower: I built my latest PC and upgraded the Windows 10 Home 32 bit to 64 bit back in December. I have 32GB RAM and have an I7 processor. My boot times continue to get slower and slower the past several months. I have googled solutions and tried many including booting into safe (no...
  10. W.10 1607 Slower Boot

in Windows 10 Support
    W.10 1607 Slower Boot: Hi After the Update yesterday I notice Boot is about 3 seconds longer not that this is a problem I just thought it was worth a mention *Smile 58453