Windows 10: Boot suddenly takes, sometimes, minutes, from seconds, to end with SSD

Discus and support Boot suddenly takes, sometimes, minutes, from seconds, to end with SSD in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi guys, let me explain what happens when I turn on the pc: Everything turns on: MB, GC, fans, LEDs, all I/O devices. The classic BIOS window (press... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Korr4K, May 17, 2019.

1. Korr4K Win User

Boot suddenly takes, sometimes, minutes, from seconds, to end with SSD

Hi guys, let me explain what happens when I turn on the pc:

• Everything turns on: MB, GC, fans, LEDs, all I/O devices.
    • The classic BIOS window (press F2 to access BIOS..) appears and it lasts, correctly, around 3 seconds
    • The message "press F2 to.." is replaced by a loading wheel and all I/O devices are shut down (LEDs turn off) but not the MB, GC, fans and PC's LEDs
    • This goes on for more than one minute until all I/O devices turne back on and, immediately after, Windows 10 log in happens and everything works fine

Additional informations:

• This started some months ago and I can't identify the event (such as a new device) that might have caused the issue to appear
    • It doesn't happen all the times (90%+ maybe?). I can't 100% force it to boot properly but, when it does, it only takes 5-10 seconds
    • During my tests to find the cause, I tried a lot of scenarios by unplugging the diffent I/O devices but I can't find a pattern. I'm only sure that it is always happens if I restart the pc
    • I thought it could have been my usb ports not shutting down when my pc does, but I changed it via BIOS and the problem is still present
    • I tried some WPR analysis regarding the boot phase and everything seems ok, only the postboot lasts 50 seconds (the previous phases only a couple of seconds each). Looking at the postboot's details, it regards the auto run processes and I'm sure the 1+ minutes of loading happens before. Basically this "black out" isn't apparently recorded at all (or I can't find it)
    • All my drivers are up to date and there isn't a singol problem when the PC is turned on
    • MB is an ASUS z170, GC is an NVIDIA 1050ti, processor is an i5-6600K, only one SSD is connected and, finally, the machine is an ordinary home pc.
    • SO, as I already said, is Windows 10 pro 64bit

Is there something that I can try?

:)

Korr4K, May 17, 2019
  2. 000jrh Win User

Had fast boot for months, suddenly it's a 4 minute boot. Dell SupportAssist?

My Dell XPS 8700 was slow, so I got a Samsung 850 SSD. Went from 6 min down to 20 sec boot. Installed Windows 10 Creators Update. Stayed nice for months, then suddenly settled into 4 minute boot. Quickly gets to pretty picture splash screen, then waits
    4 minutes before login is possible. I researched, and found shutdown shortcut %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -s -hybrid -f -t 00. I used it to shutdown, and boot was fast again. Once. Next time I used it, it's back to 4 minutes! Only thing I remember happening
    is that Dell SupportAssist got updated just before problem started. I tried their repair options to no avail. Any suggestions short of reinstalling Windows?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

000jrh, May 17, 2019
  3. 2BearArmy Win User
    Random Disappearing/Reappearing SSD on Boot

Config:

ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Gen 3
    OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G 480GB SSD
    Corsair 850W PSU
    2x HD 6950 GPU's

My desktop has a 480GB SSD main drive (OS and games), and two secondary HDD's for media storage.

I have had no issues with this SSD, until I tried to add a second video card to my system, and subsequently had to remove it. After a couple re-installs and finally getting the Crossfire to work, I am still in this broken state.

Symptom:

If I put my computer to sleep, restart, power down, it is a complete gamble as to whether or not the system will see the boot drive. What is consistent, is that after a seemingly random interval, it will eventually see the drive and boot straight to windows.

Troubleshooting Steps:

• Reset Bios
    • Removed all other options for bootable devices
    • Re-installed Windows
    • Updated all OS drivers
    • Updated firmware for both the MoBo bios and the SSD.
    • Replaced all SATA cables
    • Moved to another SATA controller port
    • Switched power cables
    • SSDLife came back saying the drive is healthy
    I am literally out of ideas at this point, and the issue is extremely annoying. Sometimes my boot times are 30 seconds (if it sees the drive) sometimes it's 20 minutes (constant reboots until it sees the drive).

Anyone have any other ideas, or have seen this before?

2BearArmy, May 17, 2019
  4. Boot suddenly takes, sometimes, minutes, from seconds, to end with SSD

Windows 10 suddenly takes almost 10 minutes to boot (need help analysing WPR)

My Windows 10 usually boot from SSD within 30 seconds. Now it takes almost 10 minutes just to get to the login screen. Already tried the following fix with no success:

• chkdsk
    • sfc /scannow
    • dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    • driver update
    • cold boot with all startup program disable
    • safe mode (also take very long to boot)
    I tried using WPA and WPR to capture boot sequence but I'm lacking the knowledge to analyze it. Any help would be appreciated.

WPR Files:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1C3ibmN3X_JAldKL9wmpcFi7pvcUQ7CCu/view?usp=sharing

SolidARRAY, May 17, 2019
Thema:

Boot suddenly takes, sometimes, minutes, from seconds, to end with SSD

1. Boot suddenly takes, sometimes, minutes, from seconds, to end with SSD - Similar Threads - Boot suddenly takes

2. PC Seems to Bluescreen randomly sometime takes hours form boot sometimes minutes.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Seems to Bluescreen randomly sometime takes hours form boot sometimes minutes.: Here the dumpfile ************* Preparing the environment for Debugger Extensions Gallery repositories ************** ExtensionRepository : Implicit UseExperimentalFeatureForNugetShare : true AllowNugetExeUpdate : true AllowNugetMSCredentialProviderInstall : true...
  3. PC Seems to Bluescreen randomly sometime takes hours form boot sometimes minutes.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC Seems to Bluescreen randomly sometime takes hours form boot sometimes minutes.: Here the dumpfile ************* Preparing the environment for Debugger Extensions Gallery repositories ************** ExtensionRepository : Implicit UseExperimentalFeatureForNugetShare : true AllowNugetExeUpdate : true AllowNugetMSCredentialProviderInstall : true...
  4. Windows 10 taking almost 10 minutes to boot (with SSD)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 taking almost 10 minutes to boot (with SSD): Hello Everyone! My Windows 10 Home (version: 21H1 19043.1110) used to boot from SSD within 30 seconds. Now it takes almost 10 minutes just to get to the login screen. Already tried the following fix with no success: - chkdsk - sfc /scannow - dism /online /cleanup-image...
  5. Windows suddenly now takes 1-2 minutes to boot. What happened?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows suddenly now takes 1-2 minutes to boot. What happened?: Windows suddenly takes 1-2 minutes to boot I have UEFI and ultra fast boot enabled and my windows installation in my SSD. Typically it takes 10 seconds maximum for windows to load but all of the sudden it now takes minutes. My system loads quickly through the bios logo and...
  6. SSD takes a long time 5 minutes to boot after a shutdown

SSD takes a long time 5 minutes to boot after a shutdown: This only applies if I use the shutdown button to forcibly turn the computer off. If I shut it down using the interface, it turns on quickly as usual....
  7. Windows 10 sometimes boots sometimes does not on SSD.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 sometimes boots sometimes does not on SSD.: Used MediaCreationTool2004 on a Verbatim 8gb USB. Someone asked me to fix a laptop which has problems booting. At first, when turned on it gave me the 0x0000185 error. I tried booting from the EFI file which booted the system properly. So I went on and copied user's...
  8. My PC suddenly takes 5 minutes to start up from 10 seconds previously.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My PC suddenly takes 5 minutes to start up from 10 seconds previously.: My pc takes at least 5 minutes to start up when i shut it down or restart it. This happened suddenly and i cant figure out why this is happening. I build my own PC and its almost 2 years old. I tried updating my BIOS but nothing happened. Also I noticed a significant drop of...
  9. Windows 10 suddenly takes almost 10 minutes to boot

Windows 10 suddenly takes almost 10 minutes to boot: My Windows 10 usually boot from SSD within 30 seconds. Now it takes almost 10 minutes just to get to the login screen. Already tried the following fix with no success: - chkdsk - sfc /scannow - dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth - driver update - cold boot with all...
  10. Boot from Hibernate takes 20+ minutes

Boot from Hibernate takes 20+ minutes: Since fixing my Hanging at Verifying DMI Pool Data issue, I've noticed that if I hibernate my PC instead of shutting down, it takes around 20+ minutes for it to restart. The circle of dots moves very, very slowly. While starting from hibernate, if I press the reset button,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ssd suddenly takes 4 minutes to boot