Windows 10: Boot Surface Laptop to USB - no Volume button

Discus and support Boot Surface Laptop to USB - no Volume button in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a new Surface Laptop and want to boot to a USB thumb. Unlike the Surface Pro, the laptop does not have a Volume button. It does use F5/F6, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JimmyW, Jul 19, 2017.

1. JimmyW Win User

Boot Surface Laptop to USB - no Volume button

I have a new Surface Laptop and want to boot to a USB thumb. Unlike the Surface Pro, the laptop does not have a Volume button. It does use F5/F6, but neither work for booting. I know that I can select a custom startup from within Win 10 Pro, but want to go from power off to USB boot. Thanks.

:)

JimmyW, Jul 19, 2017

2. Windows update cannot restart, w10

I have a Surface pro 3 and sometimes it fails to restart on fast ring builds. I have recovered from these failures either buy running through the surface pro bios setup (press the power button and volume button at the same time until it reboots). I do
    not know why that works but it usually fixes my problem.

The second option when all else fails is to go to the Surface support site and download a copy of Windows 10. You will need your surface serial number to register. Download on a working computer and place the Win 10 on a USB stick.

Go back to your Surface Pro, run setup and add "boot from USB" before "Boot from HDD".

Boot your Surface Pro with the USB stick and run "Startup Repair". You may have to try this more than once. If that doesn't work, run the the option to repair the OS and keep your existing files.

JimmyCutler, Jul 19, 2017
  3. Boot into Windows Defender Offline

You need to set your BIOS to boot from USB, doing so is different from device to device. For Surface, you may follow these steps:

Step 1:
    Shut down your Surface.

Step 2:
    Once Surface has turned off, press and hold the volume-up button.

Step 3:
    With the volume-up button held down, press and release the power button.

Step 4:
    Continue holding the volume-up button until the Surface logo no longer appears on the screen.
    You should now see the Surface UEFI. Do one of the following:

• Surface Pro 3 and Surface 3: Go to Step 5 below.
    • Surface Pro 1 and Surface Pro 2: Skip to Step 9 below.
    Surface Pro 3 and Surface 3:

Step 5:
    Select Configure Alternate System Boot Order.

Step 6:
    Do one of the following:
    • Surface Pro 3: Select USB > SSD
    • Surface 3: Select Network > USB >
      SSD.

Step 7:
    Select Exit Setup.

Step 8:
    Select Yes to save the configuration and restart Surface.
    Surface Pro 1 and Surface Pro 2 (optional for Surface Pro 3)

Step 9:
    Select Secure Boot Control.

Step 10:
    Select Disable. This will allow Surface to search for an alternate device to boot from aside from your SSD.

Note
    This may affect the look of your Surface splash screen.

Step 11:
    Select Exit Setup.

Step 12:
    Select Yes to save the configuration and restart Surface.

Cyber_Defend_Team, Jul 19, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Jimmy, *Smile

This doesn't list the "Surface Laptop", but you might give it a try to see.

*Arrow Boot Microsoft Surface from a USB device

Otherwise, you should be able to use OPTION ONE below to boot from the USB from advanced startup.

*Arrow Boot from USB Drive on Windows 10 PC Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Brink, Jul 19, 2017
  5. JimmyW Win User
    Thanks, Brink, but those options also failed. I know that I can do it from the advanced startup options, but want to boot from a shutdown. There can be times when you can't get into Windows to get to the advanced startup options.

JimmyW, Jul 19, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I'm not familiar with the UEFI firmware settings for the "Surface laptop" to give better specific details, but your should be able to change the boot priority in its UEFI to have "USB device" listed first and your Windows drive second.

This way when you boot with a USB connect, you should have an option to boot from it if doesn't automatically.

Brink, Jul 19, 2017
  7. JimmyW Win User
    FWIW, you can get toe system to boot to a USB device from startup, if you open the on-screen keyboard at power up, click Shift to highlight it, and restart. That actually just takes you to the Windows System menu where you can choose to boot to USB on the next startup. I don't know whether this would work if you can't access Windows normally in the first place.

JimmyW, Jul 26, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

It would depend on how bad Windows is corrupted.

Brink, Jul 26, 2017
  9. JimmyW Win User
    Sure. If you can to the System menu by any means, you're good to go. Otherwise, it would be tough to impossible to get to the drive for a more technical repair.

JimmyW, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Boot Surface Laptop to USB - no Volume button - Similar Threads - Boot Surface Laptop

2. volume buttons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    volume buttons: my asus rog zephyrus g15 gaming laptop volume buttons dont work if i reset my laptop will the volume buttons work again? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/volume-buttons/487d553e-3c80-4b3d-a3bf-17c19840e2f0
  3. volume buttons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    volume buttons: my asus rog zephyrus g15 gaming laptop volume buttons dont work if i reset my laptop will the volume buttons work again? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/volume-buttons/487d553e-3c80-4b3d-a3bf-17c19840e2f0
  4. Surface Pro 9 will not boot USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface Pro 9 will not boot USB: I have tried every way possible but my surface will NOT boot from USB. I've disabled secure boot, I've disabled bitlocker. I've tried Windows and RUFUS to created a bootable drive. I've tried both ports on the surface, I've tried different USB keys. I've tried booting from...
  5. Surface Pro 9 will not boot USB

Surface Pro 9 will not boot USB: I have tried every way possible but my surface will NOT boot from USB. I've disabled secure boot, I've disabled bitlocker. I've tried Windows and RUFUS to created a bootable drive. I've tried both ports on the surface, I've tried different USB keys. I've tried booting from...
  6. Unable to boot from USB on Surface Laptop Studio

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to boot from USB on Surface Laptop Studio: On my Surface Laptop Studio I am trying to boot from an external SSD that contains a FAT32 boot partition and a pre-configured Linux Mint partition. I tried it on another computer and it works flawlessly. However, I am unable to boot on my Surface Laptop Studio. I disabled...
  7. Unable to boot from USB on Surface Laptop Studio

Unable to boot from USB on Surface Laptop Studio: On my Surface Laptop Studio I am trying to boot from an external SSD that contains a FAT32 boot partition and a pre-configured Linux Mint partition. I tried it on another computer and it works flawlessly. However, I am unable to boot on my Surface Laptop Studio. I disabled...
  8. Disable the side volume button on my laptop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disable the side volume button on my laptop: Hello, I have a Dell 2 in 1 Laptop, in which the model have a side volume button which I'd like to disable as I don't use and its' wrecked as the volume up button is alway slong pressed by mistake! I have researched the pronled yet with no answers. I'd still like the...
  9. Volume buttons

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Volume buttons: My volume buttons aren't working, how do turn down up or down the volume with the volume buttons on the keyboard? I have the Surface Laptop burgundy. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/volume-buttons/d069bf98-9209-49c9-a6df-a5a2608b0306
  10. Surface Connect to USB-C Adapter for Surface Pro and Surface Laptop

in Windows 10 News
    Surface Connect to USB-C Adapter for Surface Pro and Surface Laptop: Today we are pleased to announce that the Surface Connect to USB-C adapter is now available in commercial channels and through the Microsoft Store Business Desk in the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom. Add USB-C capability to Surface...