Windows 10: Boot takes many minutes before loading

Discus and support Boot takes many minutes before loading in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; HP desktop I just put new hard drive in and installed Windows 10. The Windows 7 hard drive was failing, had no backup or image. Tried to access drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by cfourkays, Dec 6, 2015.

1. cfourkays Win User

Boot takes many minutes before loading

HP desktop I just put new hard drive in and installed Windows 10.
    The Windows 7 hard drive was failing, had no backup or image.
    Tried to access drive with USB but drive too far gone.
    Decided to install Windows 10 as an upgrade. After a few minor glitches like no activation, was finally able to install and activate.
    Used USB Build 10586, 1511 and was able to activate using the Key on the COA sticker. (Thanks, alphanumerical).
    PC now will take up to 20 minutes before boot.
    The black screen, blue Windows flag and spinning dots just sits there.
    All of a sudden, it continues to boot.
    I don't have any programs, (oops, sorry, apps), starting.
    In fact, it just booted now to the User name, passed, and now is at Desktop. Had been starting for about 20 minutes as I'm posting this.
    In the Task Manager, Startup, I don't have anything enabled.

Pete

:)

cfourkays, Dec 6, 2015
  2. haraldbig Win User

N95 - start up takes many minutes

When I turn my phone N95 on, it takes many minutes before the phone is ready.

After the PIN-code there is no start-up-tone and "shaking hands".

I have installed a lot of programs, like maps, shake and rotatete (ShakeSMS, rotateMe, FlipSilent, Nokmote, ShakeLock and VibrateCall) and many, many more.

After starting up, the phone and all programs works ok.

If I start up the phone without memory card, the start up session is "normal".

haraldbig, Dec 6, 2015
  3. haraldbig Win User
    N95 - start up takes many minutes

Thank you.

After uninstall and than reinstall Windows Live, the start up is normal.

Windows Live did make some trouble before. I don`t know why. I had to uninstall and reinstall it, and the phone was normal again.

haraldbig, Dec 6, 2015
  4. GAS
    Gas Win User

In the post you did mention the dual boot, then you installed a copy of W8.1 then acivated it, then you installed W10 activaing it with the W7 key, i think Windows is getting confused about what and how activate OSs.

5. cfourkays Win User
    No, I was giving background.
    This is a clean install on a new hard drive. No dual boot.
    I never installed 8.1, where do you see I said that.*Huh
    If you forget what I said about my initial attempts, I just have a Windows 10 Home, clean installed on a new hard drive, that takes up to 20 minutes to get past initial boot screen.
    Sorry about the confusion.

Pete

cfourkays, Dec 6, 2015
  6. GAS
    Gas Win User
    That is what is written in your System Specs:"OS 8.1 with W-10 Pro Dual Boot"
    If you just installed and the OS is activated, you are not supposed to have installed many programs and relating settings and having an SSD I would reinstall the OS it wouldn't take more than a 15/20 minutes.

7. cfourkays Win User
    I'm working on a customer's PC. Not my own.

cfourkays, Dec 7, 2015
  8. cfourkays Win User

For what its worth, I had the original hd installed as the second drive. It was not in the boot sequence.
    However, when I removed it, PC now boots normally. First time I've had a second drive causing a slow boot.
    Probably should have noticed when it was the initial boot sequence that was taking so long.
    Thanks to all who chipped in.

Pete

cfourkays, Dec 10, 2015
  9. AndreyT Win User
    Well, in your original post you stated that the original drive was failing. There's nothing unusual in failing drive slowing down the boot process.

AndreyT, Dec 10, 2015
  10. cfourkays Win User
    I'm should be more clear. The failing, (failed) drive was listed last in the BIOS Boot.
    The new drive is listed as first boot.
    The boot process should never have reached the bad drive.
    I put it there with the thought that I might be able to use a more forensic type program to access the data from the bad drive.
    Never thought it would affect the boot time or even be considered.
    Pete

cfourkays, Dec 10, 2015
  11. cfourkays Win User
    Obviously if that's the 1st Boot in the BIOS which it wasn't.

cfourkays, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Boot takes many minutes before loading - Similar Threads - Boot takes many

2. taking many hours to boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    taking many hours to boot: hiwin10 is taking many hours to boot , it takes nearly an hour or so at each stage. yesterday it was slightl5 faster .its been for about 5 hours showing blank desktop, blue loading circle and a partly populated task bar 'clock/date and ms brower search windowyesterday it ran...
  3. taking many hours to boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    taking many hours to boot: hiwin10 is taking many hours to boot , it takes nearly an hour or so at each stage. yesterday it was slightl5 faster .its been for about 5 hours showing blank desktop, blue loading circle and a partly populated task bar 'clock/date and ms brower search windowyesterday it ran...
  4. taking many hours to boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Booting my computer takes 1 minute

Booting my computer takes 1 minute: My computer booting takes 1 minute after i fixed the black screen. I used bootrec /fixmbr, /fixboot, /rebuildbcd and bcdboot e:\windows / ko-KR /s e:\windows /f all to fix the black screen which is happen after i logon to user After I fixed black screen, it started to boot...
  6. Windows 10 takes a few minutes to load

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 takes a few minutes to load: Hello everyone, Sometime last year (I think after a Windows 10 update), my boot time for my PC became very slow. My OS is running on a SSD and in the past only took about 15-20 seconds to start up but now it takes forever. When I get to the black windows screen the spinning...
  7. Windows boot up takes 30 minutes

Windows boot up takes 30 minutes: Hey guys, I have a problem with system Boot. Last months i have a problem booting my PC, it takes more than 20 minutes to boot up. It used to do this only when the computer was restarted, now it always happens when I turn on the computer. Here is link with System Summary...
  8. Windows Boot Delayed by not Loading for a Minute

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Boot Delayed by not Loading for a Minute: I cleaned my computer, and after assembly, I turned it on and found there is about a minute that the loading light indicator turns off after the windows icon with black background appears, and then it resumes loading. Because of this it takes more than 1.25 minutes for it to...
  9. Requires many minutes to Boot Up

Requires many minutes to Boot Up: I upgraded to Win 10 about 8-9 months ago. Everything worked wonderful. About 3 months ago, Win 10 became so unstable that I had to reformat the HD and reinstall Win 10. After updates, everything worked wonderful. Now, just within the last 3-4 weeks, it takes 5-10 minutes to...
  10. Boot from Hibernate takes 20+ minutes

Boot from Hibernate takes 20+ minutes: Since fixing my Hanging at Verifying DMI Pool Data issue, I've noticed that if I hibernate my PC instead of shutting down, it takes around 20+ minutes for it to restart. The circle of dots moves very, very slowly. While starting from hibernate, if I press the reset button,...