Windows 10: Boot thing- i cannot run windows anymore, after conneted another SSD

Discus and support Boot thing- i cannot run windows anymore, after conneted another SSD in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; i think i just dont get the idea of how boot works, though i have years of experience with computers. I have an SSD drive (connected via NVMe) work... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by danezeq, Jul 12, 2020.

1. danezeq Win User

Boot thing- i cannot run windows anymore, after conneted another SSD

i think i just dont get the idea of how boot works, though i have years of experience with computers.

I have an SSD drive (connected via NVMe) work fine up until:
    - i connected another SSD drive (via SATA), then it booted into other windows OP on the sata drive.
    - i disconnected the sata drive, expected to go back to the windows installed on the NVMe drive, and got the attached message

btw, recovery tools doesn't fix it.
    windows version: 10
    I just don't have control over the ability to choose which drive it will boot from.
    More over, now i can't even recover my main (NVMe) drive.

Boot thing- i cannot run windows anymore, after conneted another SSD [​IMG]

:)

danezeq, Jul 12, 2020

2. Unable to boot Windows after cloning it to SSD

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues while booting the PC after cloning Windows to new SSD. I would like to know what happens when you try to boot the PC to desktop using SSD?

The reason you are not able to boot the PC is that the files required to boot Windows are still recognizing the HDD as the main drive. I would suggest you to try rebuilding the BCD files and see if you are able to boot the PC using
    SSD.

Kindly follow the steps below to rebuild the BCD.

1. Create a bootable media and boot the PC using the media.
    2. On the Install Windows screen, select Next >
      Repair your computer.
    3. On the System Recovery Options screen, select
      Troubleshoot
      > Advanced options > Command Prompt.
    4. Now type in the commands and hit enter: BOOTREC /FIXMBR

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

BOOTREC /scanos

BOOTREC /rebuildbcd
    5. Restart the PC.

If the issue persists, please get back to us with the results of the troubleshooting steps to assist you further.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Jul 12, 2020
  3. Suupala Win User
    Disk boot failure after removing old Vista partition

Thank you for the reply, muchomurka! As I indicated in my post, I have already tried all the steps you suggested to no avail:

- I cannot choose startup repair since the computer does not boot from the installation media
    - I cannot use command prompt since the computer does not boot further than the POST screen
    - I have disconnected and tried out all hard drives individually.

Since I had Win 10 up and running a few hours ago, I can say with 100% certainty that none of the hardware is faulty.

The real mystery is, how come the system won't boot from any media without an empty disk containing an old Vista boot sector being on top of the boot priority list? And which steps to take now that I've cleaned this disk and it does not exist anymore?

Would appreciate any ideas and pointers!

Suupala, Jul 12, 2020
  4. HairyFool Win User

Windows 10 SSD Boot and Sleep faliure

Windows cannot stop the BIOS recognising the SSD. If at any time you can go into the BIOS and the SSD is not listed then you have an (intermittent) hardware fault. It does not matter what the precursor steps are if the hardware was OK it must be listed

Step 6 is categorical, you have a hardware fault. BIOS device recognition is always before drivers load so they cannot affect the process

HairyFool, Jul 12, 2020
Thema:

1. Boot thing- i cannot run windows anymore, after conneted another SSD - Similar Threads - Boot thing cannot

2. Cannot Boot into Windows Boot SSD is corrupted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot Boot into Windows Boot SSD is corrupted: Windows 11 PC crashed recentely and when I rebooted it, I was met with the following message:Reboot and Select proper Boot deviceor Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key_Tried rebooting again and was met with the same message.Tried troubleshooting through...
  3. Cannot Boot into Windows Boot SSD is corrupted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot Boot into Windows Boot SSD is corrupted: Windows 11 PC crashed recentely and when I rebooted it, I was met with the following message:Reboot and Select proper Boot deviceor Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key_Tried rebooting again and was met with the same message.Tried troubleshooting through...
  4. Cannot boot after adding SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot boot after adding SSD: Trying to install a Crucial PCIe 3.0 NVMe M.2 SSD into my machine, and windows gives me a Kernel Security Check failure on startup. Pull the new drive and it boots fine...
  5. Cannot boot after adding SSD

Cannot boot after adding SSD: Trying to install a Crucial PCIe 3.0 NVMe M.2 SSD into my machine, and windows gives me a Kernel Security Check failure on startup. Pull the new drive and it boots fine...
  6. ssd not booting after running Windows 11 installation on it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ssd not booting after running Windows 11 installation on it: So i got a new m.2 ssd to install windows on it. I was trying to Install Windows with a boot stick created with Media Creation Tool. Everything works fine with the Installation, Im selecting the new Drive i want to install Windows 11 on and let the tool copy the data etc....
  7. ssd not booting after running Windows 11 installation on it

ssd not booting after running Windows 11 installation on it: So i got a new m.2 ssd to install windows on it. I was trying to Install Windows with a boot stick created with Media Creation Tool. Everything works fine with the Installation, Im selecting the new Drive i want to install Windows 11 on and let the tool copy the data etc....
  8. Cannot boot to windows after installing ubuntu on another drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot boot to windows after installing ubuntu on another drive: Hello! So I I just got a new SSD and everything is installed but then I installed ubuntu on my previous main drive and now there's no options or way to get into windows 10. I have an MSI motherboard and it's boot options are not great IMHO. - I Already had this working but...
  9. Cannot boot with usb after installed ssd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot boot with usb after installed ssd: I installed a ssd to my laptop and replaced the hdd by it so I try to reinstall windows by using usb boot, I used the mct to make it. But it is not working, It didnt boot with the usb, instead, it keep rebooting like this. https://streamable.com/ibucshI tried to install back...
  10. Cannot connet to internet after update...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot connet to internet after update...: About 5 hours ago internet (wired) on pc was working fine. Now it does not. All I did 5 hoirs ago is update windows (kb4462933). I already tried several different ethernet cables and all router ports. Router wireless works, because the phone connects. Also another...