Windows 10: Boot Trouble, system partitions and UEFI

Discus and support Boot Trouble, system partitions and UEFI in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, So I thought I'd sling a new disk in my system. And then the OS wasn't seeing it so instead of looking in disk manager I just swapped the cables... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Seanin, May 24, 2016.

1. Seanin Win User

Boot Trouble, system partitions and UEFI

Hi,

So I thought I'd sling a new disk in my system. And then the OS wasn't seeing it so instead of looking in disk manager I just swapped the cables for my D: drive and powered on. The boot config was missing and Win 10 wouldn't boot. Somehow my D: drive had been set as a system drive. So I put back the cable from the new drive in the old D: drive. Still got the error that the boot config was missing or corrupted and so I booted up to system install/repair and followed this guys instructions on You Tube.

So now I've got a system that doesn't boot unless the win 10 installation USB stick is in the system. It won't even boot to the install anymore. Here's a picture of what's going on in disk manager

Boot Trouble, system partitions and UEFI [​IMG]

I've had a look at a few threads on the matter that Google threw up from the Win 7 forums but they're not very helpful for various reasons. Does anybody out there know how to go about untangling this mess so that my system will boot up from my C: drive without the USB stick. Thanks.

:)

Seanin, May 24, 2016
  2. Majster Win User

Windows 10 0xc000000f

Lenovo M73 + Samsung SP600 - 128GB SSD :
    solution with UEFI BOOT & GPT partition table is now 100% tested - IT WORKS !

So now we can do the summary:

Problem exists on small system partitions (>120GB), on disks with MBR partition table format.

TWO SOLUTIONS ARE 100% TESTED AND WORKING:

1. FOR PC's SUPPORTING UEFI: enable UEFI/SECURE BOOT and partition Your HDD/SDD using GPT partition table format. No more trouble, and this
    solution is independent on Your HDD/SSD size.

2. FOR PC's without UEFI SUPPORT: install at least 240GB HDD/SSD, create a system partition on a whole disk surface (the size of system partition
    should not be smaller than 200GB).

I think there is still one mystery: one of us have a hybrid disk, which was bricked - as he claims - during this update. In my opinion it is not possible, but what if I'm wrong?

Majster, May 24, 2016
  3. Saltgrass Win User
    Windows 10, Fixboot - Access Denied

If you are running a Legacy system, there is no need for a FAT32 partition to boot.

For an NTFS partition to be bootable, it needs to be marked as active.

Still not sure exactly what you are trying to do.

Secure Boot is a component of Win 10 when installed in the UEFI mode.... UEFI systems need FAT 32 partitions to boot.

Saltgrass, May 24, 2016
  4. Kyhi Win User

unplug all HDD's except the windows OS Disk 0

leave the USB in the drive to boot up back into windows..

once windows is loaded - remove the USB

Open Command Prompt (Admin) and type >

bcdboot C:\Windows /s C: /f BIOS

reboot and windows should boot up on is own - without any other drive connected

5. Seanin Win User
    Thank you very much Kyhi that's worked brilliantly, you're a star!

Seanin, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Boot Trouble, system partitions and UEFI - Similar Threads - Boot Trouble system

2. Steps to Rebuild the UEFI Boot Partition and for Rebuild BCD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Steps to Rebuild the UEFI Boot Partition and for Rebuild BCD: Can someone please Lay out the Steps Precisely to Re-Instate the EFI Boot Partition and the Steps Commands to Rebuild the BCD for UEFI https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/steps-to-rebuild-the-uefi-boot-partition-and-for/a837e063-dddf-4631-95a5-6b45f94b6560
  3. Steps to Rebuild the UEFI Boot Partition and for Rebuild BCD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Steps to Rebuild the UEFI Boot Partition and for Rebuild BCD: Can someone please Lay out the Steps Precisely to Re-Instate the EFI Boot Partition and the Steps Commands to Rebuild the BCD for UEFI https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/steps-to-rebuild-the-uefi-boot-partition-and-for/a837e063-dddf-4631-95a5-6b45f94b6560
  4. Dual booting from UEFI system

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dual booting from UEFI system: I just purchased a new pc that comes with windows 10 home and uses UEFI for booting. I have a disk image of windows 7 from my old pc which used BIOS. I want to restore that image to a GPT disk partition and then setup a dual boot. Is this possible? How do I go about setting...
  5. Anyone know how to restore the boot partition on a uefi system?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Anyone know how to restore the boot partition on a uefi system?: Let's just say I accidentally overwritten it while reinstalling my linux distro. I couldn't find any relevant guides, and I have no experience with diskpart and the windows tools. I can still access the OS because systemd-boot has the Microsoft boot files backed up in...
  6. UEFI boot VM's on non UEFI systems

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    UEFI boot VM's on non UEFI systems: Hi folks if you want to test such things as UEFI boot or even Secure boot on a VM running on older hardware that doesn't have UEFI boot it's still easily possible. On for example Linux host running KVM/QEMU a Windows VM ( This also works on Windows hosts running VMWare for...
  7. Disk Partition Order for Windows10 Pro - UEFI Boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk Partition Order for Windows10 Pro - UEFI Boot: Hi, I had installed Windows 10Pro Ver 1903 on a MBR disk with Legacy Boot and Windows was working fine, but as I had 3 HDDs on my system, the Windows had got installed across 2 HDDs with Windows C: Drive on one HDD and the Boot loader on another HDD. But the PC was booting...
  8. lost boot and system partition!!

lost boot and system partition!!: hello i was update my windows 10 and this was happen. windows can't boot and in cmd didn't show any boot or system in info column. what should i do? i have a picture of working windows and my partitions pictures where is my boot and system? how can i make the boot and system...
  9. uefi trouble

uefi trouble: I want to install Ubuntu as dual boot. I already set secure boot to disabled, but still have no acces to my ubuntu DVD. Help please. 46599
  10. Partition Question - First UEFI system

in Windows 10 Support
    Partition Question - First UEFI system: So I just completed a clean install on my new Pavilion X360 laptop. I've been building computers and working in IT for 20 years, but I've come across something I haven't dealt with before. I'm always used to using diskpart to set up my drives during the OS installs. I used...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. uefi trouble