Windows 10: Boot up for Windows 10 clean install on Pavilion Dv6T takes 130 seconds

Discus and support Boot up for Windows 10 clean install on Pavilion Dv6T takes 130 seconds in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have an HP Pavilion Dv6T that was originally supplied with Windows 7 that I replaced the platter drive with an SSD and clean installed Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by DrChristian, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Boot up for Windows 10 clean install on Pavilion Dv6T takes 130 seconds

I have an HP Pavilion Dv6T that was originally supplied with Windows 7 that I replaced the platter drive with an SSD and clean installed Windows 10 Home. I made sure to delete all partitions on the SSD and had Windows set it up how it saw fit.

The OS installed with one "unknown device" that is listed as acpi_hal\pnp0c08\0

Each reboot from this fresh install is 130 seconds from the time the first MS logo appears until the time where I can enter the password. The delay is when the screen goes dark after the orbiting ring of dots disappears.

I installed the updates to bring it current to version 20H2. The interesting thing is, with each restart during the update, it seemed to boot normal. There was zero delay between the MS logos and the blue screen with the update status. After the updates finished, the delay returned.

Only in a safemode boot does it boot in seconds.

I tried a selective startup with as much disabled as I could but it does nothing to change the 130 second bootup time.

Given it boots quickly in safemode, I can safely conclude it is a driver or a service being loaded. Without going through the tedious task of rebooting after disabling each one---one by one----how can I narrow this down?

:)

DrChristian, Feb 5, 2021

2. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Feb 5, 2021
  3. Jborg Win User
    windows 10 slow boot

I was having a slow boot issue on my Windows 7 install a little while back. It would take about 30 - 40 extra seconds to boot up for whatever reason.

I would try following these steps, while this didn't solve my issue, it did increase Read/Write to where it should be.

10 Tips for SSD Optimization in Windows 7 - Part 1

Looks to be similar to this: SSD Optimization for your Windows Gaming PC and Tips and Tricks

In the end, I had to reinstall my Windows 7 entirely to fix the booting issue. It was taking around 35 seconds to boot, and after the fresh install it takes about 7 seconds to boot.

Jborg, Feb 5, 2021
  4. Delta6326 Win User

Boot up for Windows 10 clean install on Pavilion Dv6T takes 130 seconds

Delta6326, Feb 5, 2021
Thema:

Boot up for Windows 10 clean install on Pavilion Dv6T takes 130 seconds

1. Boot up for Windows 10 clean install on Pavilion Dv6T takes 130 seconds - Similar Threads - Boot clean install

2. Booting up takes forever on windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Booting up takes forever on windows 10: Hello, I have a weird problem on my asus laptop, which is not listed anywhere in google, so I thought about coming here for help because I'm stuck.Ok here is my problem. Normally when I turn on my laptop, I see the asus logo then immediately under it I see the spinning circle...
  3. Clean Windows install takes up 280GB, why????

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Clean Windows install takes up 280GB, why????: Hi,I just did a clean install of Windows 10 and I installed absolutely nothing, but it says that Windows is taking up over 280GB of storage. I want to know the reason why it is taking up so much space. 280 GB is a lot and that's like pretty much half of my HDD storage.Any...
  4. Clean Windows install takes up 280GB, why????

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clean Windows install takes up 280GB, why????: Hi,I just did a clean install of Windows 10 and I installed absolutely nothing, but it says that Windows is taking up over 280GB of storage. I want to know the reason why it is taking up so much space. 280 GB is a lot and that's like pretty much half of my HDD storage.Any...
  5. Clean Windows install takes up 280GB, why????

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Google takes 20 seconds to boot up

in Browsers and Email
    Google takes 20 seconds to boot up: Google takes 20 seconds to boot up. I get an error message "Internet E. restricted this webpage and can't run ActiveX " 176019
  7. HP Pavilion 15 will not boot up.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HP Pavilion 15 will not boot up.: I have tried the recommended method of hard shut down repeated after the logo and spinning wheel appear and it reaches the 'preparing automatic repair' stage. That is where it stays. I have left it on that screen for up to 15 hours at one stage, and nothing happens, therefore...
  8. Booting clean installation of windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Booting clean installation of windows 10: Hi, I am Rishad. So,basically I was trying to reinstall windows after the C: drive was showing error. I tried to boot it up from a bootable usb and I have succeded but my C: drive was showing error again and wanted repair after I checked it.So,I tried to install ubuntu...
  9. Clean install of OS, takes up 300GB??

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clean install of OS, takes up 300GB??: Hi there, I did a clean install of Windows 10 Home on my newish PC today. (I was having install issues and restore point wasn’t working) I have a 1TB SSD that I re-installed the OS onto. I noticed more than half of the SSD is now used up and it says about 398GB space is...
  10. My laptop with Windows 10 takes 2,769.625 seconds to boot up

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    My laptop with Windows 10 takes 2,769.625 seconds to boot up: Yes my laptop running windows 10 takes 2769.625 seconds to boot up, Do you know how to fix this? 80607