Windows 10: Boot Up From Recovery Drive

Discus and support Boot Up From Recovery Drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So, I made a recovery drive on a USB. Easy enough. Now, as far as researching exactly how to get to the boot selection menu should I ever have trouble,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BenchleySRT, Feb 4, 2021.

1. Boot Up From Recovery Drive

So, I made a recovery drive on a USB. Easy enough. Now, as far as researching exactly how to get to the boot selection menu should I ever have trouble, I'm seeing like 97 different answers

What is the way to get to the boot selection menu? If there are several methods, what are they?

If it is different depending on the manufacturer, I'm on a Dell

Thanks

:)

BenchleySRT, Feb 4, 2021
  2. ApolloXYZ Win User

Recovery Drive Doubt

I created a recovery drive usb pendrive when i bought my laptop. That time it was Win 10 Home SL. Now i upgraded it to Win 10 Pro and activated it using "illegal software". So these are the doubts which i have :

1. Can the Recovery Drive reverts Pro to Home? (Recovery Drive was created during Win 10 Home SL. So if i boot Recovery Drive it should revert back to Home. These are my thoughts)
    2. Will the digital license work after downgrading ?
    3. Will there be any backlash ?
    P.S. After upgrading it to Pro, there was a warning saying "digital license valid for Home SL, and not for Pro". I used an "illegal software" to activate it. Also i am a newbie so please explain it step by step.

ApolloXYZ, Feb 4, 2021
  3. topgundcp Win User
    How does Windows boot to advanced recovery option e.g. command prompt?

- that gives me a 454 'Unexpected error' This tells me that the BCD is partially corrupted.

The commands: shutdown.exe /r /o /f /t 00
    or: %SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c reagentc /boottore&shutdown /r /f /t 00
    should boot into Recovery if everything is configured correctly.
    FYI, If Windows is configured correctly:
    1. If Reagentc is disabled, you still can get into Recovery but with limited options.
    2. If Reagentc is enabled, you'll get all options.
    3. If you boot Windows using Recovery USB stick, You'll get into Recovery with couple of options missing.

Here's my suggestion if you want to try:
    OPTION 1: Will save the trouble of re-install Windows.

1. Download the image of my first 3 partitions (450MB Recovery, 100 MB EFI partition, and 16MB unformatted primary)
      EFI_Boot-00-00.7z - Google Drive
    2. Run Macrium and restore the image from step 1, overwriting your existing 1st three partitions, leaving C alone.
    3. Delete the 490MB Recovery partition.
    4. From Macrium, run fix boot problems.
    5. Reboot. Open Admin command prompt then run Reagentc /info to make sure that it is enabled. If not, enable it.
      if failed to enable, reboot and try again.
    OPTION 2: Assuming you've already had Windows backup with Macrium.

1. Wipe out the first 5 parttiions. (450MB, 100MB, 16MB, C Drive, 480MB)
    2. Fresh install Windows 10
    3. Restore C drive from backup image, run fix boot problems
    4. repeat step 5 from OPTION 1 above.

topgundcp, Feb 4, 2021
  4. HvB-btr Win User

Boot Up From Recovery Drive

Recovery drive does not boot

After being upgrading from W 8.1 to W 10 by HP support I followed the Microsoft's website instructions to make a recovery drive. I used an external 32GB hard drive for this purpose which previously held the recovery for W 8.1. Since I did not get any
    error messages I assumed all was fine and I emptied the D:Recovery from my laptop drive as suggested by Microsoft's instructions if one desired additional drive space.

Unfortunately the recovery drive will not boot. From the boot menu I selected the USB hard drive, followed successively by the following menu selections: US keyboard; use a device; USB drive (UEFI).

This sets up a loop that goes back to the keyboard selection.

With deletion of D:Recovery I am now without a recovery option. The suggestion from a Microsoft Support Engineer to create a new recovery drive seems useless since the files to be coped to such a drive were deleted. Anyone has a real solution? Thanks.

HvB-btr, Feb 4, 2021
Thema:

Boot Up From Recovery Drive

1. Boot Up From Recovery Drive - Similar Threads - Boot Recovery Drive

2. Fill RECOVERY D: drive from recovery USB drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fill RECOVERY D: drive from recovery USB drive?: I successfully created a USB recovery drive F: but I accidentally deleted the RECOVERY D drive that now is empty. Is it possible to fill back it from the USB external drive F: I created? How? Thanks. [ATTACH]...
  3. Cannot boot from recovery drive

Cannot boot from recovery drive: I have created a recovery driveUSB on Windows 10 but it wouldn't boot up and went straight into the Windows 10 in my SSD. I have also tried making a Media Creation Tool USB drive and it boots fine so I am sure that my computer is able to boot into USB normally but it just...
  4. Recovery/boot up issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Recovery/boot up issue: My surface pro 4 doesn't boot up. Just a blue screen with this message: Recovery Your PC/Device needs to be repaired A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed. Error code: 0xc000000e You'll need to use recovery tools. If you don't have any installation media...
  5. Recovery Drive filling up ...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recovery Drive filling up ...: My Recovery drive = 1.71gb free of 14.4gb, should I be concerned that it appears to be filling up? My C drive has loads of space = 799gb free of 915gb. Do I need to do anything? Thanks....
  6. Failed Recovery from Drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Failed Recovery from Drive: In an attempt to get my PC healthy again, after a blue screen of death loop. I managed to get into safe mode and reset the system. This failed and now I am unable to recover from a drive. The error screen states: Your PC/Device needs to be repaired The Boot...
  7. Dell XPS 13 Won't boot from recovery drive.

Dell XPS 13 Won't boot from recovery drive.: My XPS 13 was stuck on the Dell icon when booting up. So I downloaded the recovery software on another laptop and made a boot drive using Dell's recovery software. I went in and disable secure boot mode and then selected the USB as the boot drive. Now it started up from the...
  8. Change drive from where the OS Boots up

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change drive from where the OS Boots up: I have 3 drives C: ,D: , E: . Drive D: is on a external bay. Where I look at Disk Management I see for see ( Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition) on the Disk, Drive D: (System, Active, Primary Partition), E: (Primary Partition) . If I remove D: the system doesn't...
  9. Computer will not recovery from drive.

Computer will not recovery from drive.: So, I have a PC that's set up for windows 10. Problem is, it got a virus that deleted it's recovery point. However, I used another windows 10 laptop to create a recovery drive. After I had (allegedly) recovered the PC, it still wouldn't boot up. Is there any hope for it? If...
  10. USB recovery boot drive won't boot

USB recovery boot drive won't boot: I wasn't sure which forum to put this into. I created a backup image on a usb hard drive. I wanted to be able to restore it using a usb recovery thumb drive. I used the create usb recovery tool and created the recovery flash drive. When I try to boot from the flash drive I...