Windows 10: Boot up hit and miss!

Discus and support Boot up hit and miss! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Over the last couple of weeks my boot up has been very hit and miss, when it misses I get the message, 'Reboot and select proper boot device', I switch... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Bobbyboy, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Bobbyboy Win User

Boot up hit and miss!

Over the last couple of weeks my boot up has been very hit and miss, when it misses I get the message, 'Reboot and select proper boot device', I switch off and after a couple of tries all works fine.

When I look in the Boot Option, 1st Boot Device is 'Windows Boot Manager'.

I have reinstalled Windows 10 yesterday but still get the same problem!

Any ideas as how to solve this?

Thanks.

:)

Bobbyboy, Nov 11, 2016
  2. noknok63 Win User

Internet connection (non-Wi-Fi) is very hit-and-miss on my Nokia E63

Hello, this is my first post on the Nokia website and I hope someone can please help.

I bought a Nokia E63 yesterday and am using it with the Virgin network. I have had internet settings sent to me by Virgin, and I also use the auto-sync for emails. The emails are fine... but I am having such difficulty browsing the web. Sometimes it says
    "timeout", other times it says "no entry to gateway" and other times it is so fast it's brilliant. By the way, I am looking at websites like Sky News, BBC, etc., so they are not obscure or anything. But the hit-and-miss nature of connectivity is puzzling.
    I bought the Nokia E63 as I have to keep up to date with websites while I am travelling for business, so it's one of the main reasons for having purchased it. I haven't even got around to the Wi-Fi connectivity yet, am purely using "connect via Virgin Enhanced"
    and "connect via Virgin GPRS", both of which are hit-and-miss. Is there any way I can change the timeout settings on the phone, or is this a problem with Virgin network settings? I hope I have provided enough details in order to receive some advice from someone
    on the Forum.

Thanks for reading,

noknok63, Nov 11, 2016
  3. Internet connection (non-Wi-Fi) is very hit-and-miss on my Nokia E63

i had this problem really bad with my new e63..im on sky..and neither nokia or sky could resolve the issue.

My wifi connection worked at uni and my cuosins..but not at home..so i dont know what was going on.. so just today i randomly decided to compre the router settings rather than the phone settings.. turned out uni had an open network, my cousins had a wep
    and i had a wpa-psk security type.

i changed this to wep and it started working fine! finally..im so happy..i thaught id post this..coz i know it was a HUGE let down..

so yh..myt not be your exact issue..but i used to be able to get to a site as soon as i connected..then about 2 seconds in - still connected but all i got was no gateway reply errors

jawad1---01, Nov 11, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Boot up hit and miss!

Hi, please post a screenshot of Disk Management.

Assuming you have a HDD (no details given) please run Crystal Diskinfo (free) or similar and post the one picture result (not the whole report) showing Good/Caution/Bad based on your SMART parameters.

Check cabling and seating of drives.

You could try removing drives you don't need for your PC to boot for test purposes and try booting.

dalchina, Nov 11, 2016
  5. Bobbyboy Win User
    Crystal Disk Info below.

Removed Extra Drive and tried rebooting seemed to work but due to the inconsistancy it is difficult to say if this is a cure, I doubt it some how.

One thing I do know is the system is very slow when running and booting up takes an age.

Thanks for your time and help.

Bobbyboy, Nov 11, 2016
  6. Bobbyboy Win User
    Don't know if it helps but attach computer spec.

Thanks.

Bobbyboy, Nov 11, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Please post a screenshot of Disk Management.
    Windows key + X, click Disk Management

(How do you post a screenshot? - once you have your image e.g. jpg, png- use the icon above your post to the left of the video icon - its mouseover tooltip = Insert Image).

There are articles on this that should help:
    BEST FIX: Operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect - Appuals.com article gives plenty of suggestions. Unfortunately the English is somewhat deficient.
    How To Fix “Reboot And Select Proper Boot Device” Problem? | DESKDECODE.COM

dalchina, Nov 11, 2016
  8. Bobbyboy Win User

Boot up hit and miss!

Picture below seems to have come up very small therefore see attached document which is a larger version.

Boot up hit and miss! [​IMG]

Bobbyboy, Nov 12, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    That looks ok (no need to use docx attachments).
    The documents I've posted should be of interest.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Boot up hit and miss!

1. Boot up hit and miss! - Similar Threads - Boot hit miss

2. After Windows 10 update, Boot pathway is missing and won't boot up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    After Windows 10 update, Boot pathway is missing and won't boot up: My Asus laptop was working perfectly before the Windows 10 update. After that I had inserted a SD card to upload some pictures onto my computer. The laptop won't boot up now and has the "Secure Boot Violation" screen come up. After reading up on getting into the BIOS settings...
  3. Got Hit by "Avanish" malware, missed by W10 security

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Got Hit by "Avanish" malware, missed by W10 security: In the past some folks came hard on me for pointing out the deadly security ineffectiveness of W10. Here is a proof. A malware by the name "Avinash" brought the speed of my PC to a crawl WINDOWS SECURITY ran twice and declared the system sound safe. I was not satisfied so...
  4. Got Hit by "Avanish" malware, missed by W10 security

in Windows 10 Support
    Got Hit by "Avanish" malware, missed by W10 security: In the past some folks came hard on me for pointing out the deadly security ineffectiveness of W10. Here is a proof. A malware by the name "Avinash" brought the speed of my PC to a crawl WINDOWS SECURITY ran twice and declared the system sound safe. I was not satisfied so...
  5. Mouse constantly scrolling up and keyboard hitting home

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse constantly scrolling up and keyboard hitting home: i have been having an issue where my home key has been being pressed randomly and my mouse has been infinitely scrolling up. These issue both started at the same time about 6 months ago. Ive updated drivers and firmware on both of these, as well as opened them up and cleaned...
  6. On boot up when opening new windows the data is missing

in Windows 10 Support
    On boot up when opening new windows the data is missing: Window 10 64 latest updates. For the last couple of months when I start up all seems normal untill I right click on my Norton icon in the tray to do a live update. The window opens but is mostly blank. If I run the mouse over it the options appear but go away. Any window I...
  7. HP laptop Patchy wi-fi connection - hit or miss

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HP laptop Patchy wi-fi connection - hit or miss: Hi guy, The problem I have is that my laptop will sometimes connect to the router and sometimes it completely forgets the network and says that the password is wrong. I never have any other problems with other devices in the house, only the laptop. I've checked through all...
  8. Windows 10 after one month: Hits and misses

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 after one month: Hits and misses: So what's the story, a month after the big launch? A surprising amount of sound and fury, especially for a midsummer release. In this post, I call out some of the hits and misses, with the caveat that this is all going to continue changing very quickly in the coming months....
  9. Saving to Desktop is hit or miss

in Windows 10 Support
    Saving to Desktop is hit or miss: I have a problem that manifests on both my work laptop (Lenovo T450, an oldie) and my new high-end Dell desktop (Dell XPS 8920). I'll save to Desktop a file (from Excel, or an email attachment). Or I'll save a download to Desktop from a web browser (usually Firefox,...
  10. "Boot Device Not Found" - but hitting "Enter" afterward PC boots fine

in Windows 10 Support
    "Boot Device Not Found" - but hitting "Enter" afterward PC boots fine: I had to buy a new (SSD) HD and had trouble booting from a disc until I enabled Legacy Mode and disabled Secure Boot in BIOS. Now whenever I boot up I get a "No Boot Device Found" message until I hit "Enter" at which point i'm allowed entry into my precious Win10 laptop....