Windows 10: Boot up problems from cloned system files moved from Disc0 to Disc1

Discus and support Boot up problems from cloned system files moved from Disc0 to Disc1 in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I followed the instructions below and everything was working until I got the the Next, rebuild BCD, type: bcdboot D:\Windows /s Z: /f UEFI mountvol Z:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by DRM70, Feb 13, 2021.

1. DRM70 Win User

Boot up problems from cloned system files moved from Disc0 to Disc1

I followed the instructions below and everything was working until I got the the

Next, rebuild BCD, type:
    bcdboot D:\Windows /s Z: /f UEFI
    mountvol Z: /D

when I typed this into the command prompt, failure when initializing library system volume, however, bcdboot did start up.

Not sure what to do next.

09 Dec 2019 #5

Yes, I can see you've already converted your SSD sandisk (disk 1) to GPT. Using AOMEI Partition Assistant to convert your SSD normally done on data disk, not on your Windows OS disk since the partition layout for booting on Windows OS is different between MBR and GPT disks.
    To fix this problem:
    Open admin command prompt and type:

diskpart
    select disk 1
    select par 1
    del par override
    create partition EFI size=100
    format quick fs=FAT32
    assign letter=Z
    exit

Next, rebuild BCD, type:
    bcdboot D:\Windows /s Z: /f UEFI
    mountvol Z: /D

Next, access your BIOS, change boot priority for the SSD and set the boot mode to UEFI or In some BIOS, disable CSM.

then reboot.

Boot up problems from cloned system files moved from Disc0 to Disc1 [​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

:)

DRM70, Feb 13, 2021
  2. cadaveca Win User

Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

Part of how I keep my SSD fast is to clone it to a platter drive, then clone back. You just want to make sure that you are only cloning teh used space, and not the empty space.

So, again, I isntall Windows to the ssd. Clone to platter drive, then clone back.

I am not sure why, but if I do not do the clone step, the drive's speed, and windows booting, decreases substantially within a week or so.

I am using a Corsair F60 SSD and a Western Digital 500AAKS as drives, and using the free version of Acronis that WD provides, if any of that matters. I am not sure, at this point.

cadaveca, Feb 13, 2021
  3. cadaveca Win User
    Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

I kinda agree with you, but on a wholr, do not. While I have done things a bit differently than this specific situation, by installing Windows directly to the SSD, and cloning after, my testing shows that there are no issues doing this, very little that can go wrong, provided your system is stable.

There are certain features that must be disabled in this situation, like auto defrag and such, but even with a fresh install to the SSD, you need to take steps to ensure that you SSD performs properly, regardless of how the data got there.

Arming yourself with a bit of knowledge can go a long way.

Installing the latest chipset driver, and the RST Tools, will ensure optimal performance of the SSD. but rather than taking my advice, I suggest the OP takes a look here:

http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/sand...7-and-ssds-to-clone-windows-or-reinstall.aspx

Installing The SSD - Install A Solid State Drive In Your Notebook | Tom's Hardware

Keep in mind, also, Digibucc, that many retail drives include software and such that very specifically is to be used to ttranser the OS from an existing mechanical drive to an SSD, and if there really was alot fo issues stemming from the cloning process, they would not have packages like that, simply to eliminate tech support costs. While not the optimal option, cloning is NOT a bad thing, as long as you take the nessecary steps.

cadaveca, Feb 13, 2021
  4. Nickylee1 Win User

Do window 10 offer a clone image feature for backup system?

Hi, oemSoft

I am sorry to tell you that there is no built-in clone feature in Windows 10. If you just create a system image backup, you can follow the steps below to create a system image in Windows 10.

Step 1. Open Control Panel, go to System and Security > File History, then click System Image Backup at the lower-left corner. Or you can directly type backup and restore in the search box and select it from the search result list.

Step 2. Connect the USB drive to your computer and select it as the destination path, then click Next.

Step 3. Confirm your backup settings and click Start Backup.

However, if you want to clone your system directly, you can choose a third-party software like AOMEI Backupper. This is a professional clone software that allows you to

clone system
    to different places such as external hard drive, USB drive or Network, etc. without booting problems. With it, you also can clone the entire disk to HDD or SSD.

Nickylee1, Feb 13, 2021
Thema:

1. Boot up problems from cloned system files moved from Disc0 to Disc1 - Similar Threads - Boot problems cloned

2. Moving files from system volume information

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving files from system volume information: Hi, I just faced this problem and need help with it , I accidentally dragged one of my folders to "system volume information" folder on my external drive and it moved there. when i wanted to move it back nothing happened even deleting it doesn't work and i need these files ,...
  3. Moving files from system volume information

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving files from system volume information: Hi, I just faced this problem and need help with it , I accidentally dragged one of my folders to "system volume information" folder on my external drive and it moved there. when i wanted to move it back nothing happened even deleting it doesn't work and i need these files ,...
  4. Moving files from system volume information

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Trouble booting from cloned windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trouble booting from cloned windows: I am having trouble booting from a cloned version of windows 10. I used macrium reflect to clone my old SSD with my os over to a new SSD but even with it set as the boot drive in BIOS no dice. I have created a macrium rescue media and I can see my windows installation but...
  6. Cloning and setting up a dual boot system

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cloning and setting up a dual boot system: I seek advice about the possibility of setting up a dual boot system on my existing Windows 10 64 bit pc. I have an old redundant PC which I built in 2009. Windows 7 Professional 32bit OS installed. I no longer possess the installation disc and am therefore considering...
  7. Cloning and setting up a dual boot system

in Windows 10 Support
    Cloning and setting up a dual boot system: I seek advice about the possibility of setting up a dual boot system on my existing Windows 10 64 bit pc. I have an old redundant PC built in 2009 that has Windows 7 Professional 32bit OS installed. I no longer possess the installation disc and am therefore considering...
  8. Booting from Macrium Free clone…

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Booting from Macrium Free clone…: When I joined this forum it became obvious that Macrium was the software of choice for backing up so I have installed it and am doing my best to get it to run. Now what I want to do initially is to make a bootable clone. From the MF User Guide … I click on ‘clone this disk’...
  9. Booting from Macrium Free clone…

in Windows 10 Support
    Booting from Macrium Free clone…: When I joined this forum it became obvious that Macrium was the software of choice for backing up so I have installed it and am doing my best to get it to run. Now what I want to do initially is to make a bootable clone. From the MF User Guide … I click on ‘clone this disk’...
  10. Booting from a Cloned Partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Booting from a Cloned Partition: I have cloned a partition using AOEMI Backupper and I have tried to find out how to make the cloned partition bootable. No luck with that. Note that this PC has one Hard Drive and which is UEFI/GPT based. Is it possible to make the cloned partition (G) bootable. The...