Windows 10: Boot windows on a schedule after shutdown

Discus and support Boot windows on a schedule after shutdown in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I prefer to have my system shut down overnight rather than sleeping. Is there any way to schedule a system boot at a specific time in the morning?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by arnoldh, Feb 11, 2016.

1. arnoldh Win User

Boot windows on a schedule after shutdown

I prefer to have my system shut down overnight rather than sleeping. Is there any way to schedule a system boot at a specific time in the morning? Windows update is able to boot from shut down when it feels like it. Is there any way I can do this, apart from putting my PC to sleep overnight?

:)

arnoldh, Feb 11, 2016
  2. piercosta Win User

Windows 10: install updates and shutdown.

Then I'm afraid there is no simple solution. Some windows updates require to be installed during the shutdown and then configured during the subsequent boot.

One way of achieving your goal would be to find a way to schedule a shutdown after your system has terminated a restart.

So you can (1) push restart (2) walk away (3) the pc restart itself and install updates (4) and then it shutdown automatically.

But I don't know how to do that.

piercosta, Feb 11, 2016
  3. gwforeman Win User
    Computer Shutsdown at 7 pm everynight

This will only work if a Shutdown is in progress or initiated. It will not change a task that is scheduled. Look through your Windows Task Scheduler and see if there is a task with Shutdown listed.

gwforeman, Feb 11, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Feb 11, 2016
  5. arnoldh Win User
    Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately the above appears to be doing exactly what it says - a reboot - by scheduling a shut down and immediate restart. I'm wanting a method of restarting the computer at a later time.

Actually I've realised my original post was confusing. I've edited "reboot" to "boot"

arnoldh, Feb 11, 2016
  6. RolandJS Win User
    I think Wake On Lan somewhere within Control Panel can be activated, however, I have no idea what software to use to wake up the computer on schedule hours later.

RolandJS, Feb 11, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Not as far as I know from shutdown. From sleep, yes.

dalchina, Feb 11, 2016
  8. arnoldh Win User

That's a good point. Maybe Windows Update uses Wake On Lan to boot the computer? But when I look at the BIOS, Wake On Lan appears to be disabled, so I'm confused how Windows Update does it.

I could investigate more, but unfortunately it wouldn't help me. If I wanted to use Wake on LAN, I'd have to use another computer on my network to do it, and I want all my PC s to be shut down overnight*Sad

arnoldh, Feb 11, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
  10. arnoldh Win User
    Actually although I select shut down from Windows, I think Windows may actually use the S4 state (Hibernation). I may be wrong about this. My network device does in fact support wake up from S4, but it's currently disabled. But WOL doesn't help me anyway.

Actually I've just realised I may be able to get the BIOS to generate a wake event directly using Power On By RTC. I'll investigate.

arnoldh, Feb 11, 2016
  11. dalchina New Member
    Power On By RTC - yes, from sleep

dalchina, Feb 11, 2016
  12. arnoldh Win User
    I think my BIOS supports RTC from S4 (hibernation), not just sleep. But it depends whether Windows is actually shutting the system down in the S4 state. I need to look at this more. If necessary, I can ask Windows to hibernate rather than shutdown, but I probably don't need to.

arnoldh, Feb 11, 2016
  13. arnoldh Win User

Success!

I used my motherboard's Power On By RTC (Real Time Clock) to set a scheduled boot time of 06:30. I shut down the system yesterday evening, and the motherboard booted the system from shut down at 6.30.

Initially setting a scheduled boot by RTC didn't have any effect. Eventually I found I had to disable fast start-up in Windows. I'm not sure why. Perhaps Power On By RTC does not work when the system is in a hibernated state, which fast start-up uses. Anyway, it doesn't bother me if fast start-up is off since I don't care how long the system takes to boot if I'm asleep at the time*Biggrin

Thanks for both responses

arnoldh, Feb 12, 2016
  14. socklosk Win User
    I use the alarm settings in the Bios to turn on the computer at 4am from a complete shutdowns. I have a Gigabyte motherboard that has this this setting.

socklosk, Feb 12, 2016
  15. arnoldh Win User
    Did this work for you with fast start-up in Windows enabled?

arnoldh, Feb 12, 2016
Thema:

1. Boot windows on a schedule after shutdown - Similar Threads - Boot schedule shutdown

2. scheduled shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    scheduled shutdown: Hi,How can I make a scheduled shutdown on startup that terminates the task if the computer is used?- I have scheduled a startup on BIOS every day at 8.00.- I created a task in Task Scheduler to run shutdown.exe on startup if the computer is not used for 15 minutes works so...
  3. scheduled shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    scheduled shutdown: Hi,How can I make a scheduled shutdown on startup that terminates the task if the computer is used?- I have scheduled a startup on BIOS every day at 8.00.- I created a task in Task Scheduler to run shutdown.exe on startup if the computer is not used for 15 minutes works so...
  4. scheduled shutdown

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cannot boot into windows after forced shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot boot into windows after forced shutdown: PC was functioning normally. I stepped away for maybe an hour. Upon returning everything was frozen. I waited an additional half hour with no luck. At this time I forced a shutdown by holding the power button. After reboot it would not start windows and immediately went into...
  6. Cannot boot into windows after forced shutdown

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot boot into windows after forced shutdown: PC was functioning normally. I stepped away for maybe an hour. Upon returning everything was frozen. I waited an additional half hour with no luck. At this time I forced a shutdown by holding the power button. After reboot it would not start windows and immediately went into...
  7. Cannot boot into windows after forced shutdown

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Windows 10 fails to boot after restart, booting after shutdown is fine

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 fails to boot after restart, booting after shutdown is fine: Hello. I have HP EliteBook 8470p laptop. I recently replaced SSD in the laptop with larger one - 1TB Samsung QVO 860 Laptop has 3rd gen Core i5 2.80GHz CPU, 16GB of RAM and AMD 7550 videocard. Before reinstall, BIOS in laptop was updated to latest version. There were no...
  9. Windows freezes during boot after a normal restart or shutdown. After a forced shutdown it...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows freezes during boot after a normal restart or shutdown. After a forced shutdown it...: I'm very sure this issue is hardware related as it only happens on two of my systems with very similar Supermicro motherboards, X9DAE and X9DRi-LN+. Linux always boots without problems....
  10. Schedule a PC Shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    Schedule a PC Shutdown: With this batch script computer can be scheduled for shutdown at given minutes. Code: :: This batch script created by @Echo Off Color 5f Mode 65,20 Echo. Echo. Echo. Echo. Echo. Echo. Echo Enter a Time (in Minutes ) to Schedule a PC Shutdown Echo. Echo. Echo. Echo. Echo...