Windows 10: Bootable disk? Recovery disk? What do I need?

Discus and support Bootable disk? Recovery disk? What do I need? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have Win 10 64bit. I was told that I need to create a bootable disk on a USB by someone in our local store. When I asked him how many GB's he said in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by megabyte, Jun 12, 2016.

1. megabyte Win User

Bootable disk? Recovery disk? What do I need?

I have Win 10 64bit. I was told that I need to create a bootable disk on a USB by someone in our local store. When I asked him how many GB's he said in the 20's. I did not buy it, but much later went back and a different guy said 28GB but I should get larger just in case.

Doing a search, I cannot see what would take up 20+GB's. For a bootable I see that it would take 8GB. What would they be talking about?

Do I also need a Recovery disk?

I am not sure what I should be doing...

:)

megabyte, Jun 12, 2016
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Create recovery media. Says missing files? What do I do??

Hi ronniewilliams, you can reinstall Windows 10 at any time and it will not cost you anything !

Since you previously had Windows 10 installed and activated on that PC during the installation process skip the steps which ask for a product key and select the option 'I am Reinstalling Windows 10 on this PC', and activation will not be an issue, your PC will
    have a digital entitlement stored on the Microsoft Activation Servers

Make sure you install the same Edition of Windows 10 (Home, Pro . . . etc.) you previously had installed to avoid Activation issues

Click this link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-downlo...

to download the Media Creation Tool (Click on Download Tool Now), with that you can download the latest Windows 10 ISO (Select Create Installation Media for Another PC), you can create a bootable USB flash drive (min 8GB) using that tool

Then, Boot your PC from the Installation Media you just created (change Boot Order in your BIOS) to begin installing Windows 10

If you have problems booting from a boot disc, you may have UEFI BIOS:

Insert the Bootable Installation Media, then go into your BIOS and make the following changes:

1. Disable Secure Boot

2. Enable Legacy Boot

3. If Available enable CSM

4. If Required enable USB Boot

5. Move the device with the bootable disc to the top of the boot order

6. Save BIOS changes, restart your System and it should boot from the Installation Media

DaveM121, Jun 12, 2016
  3. JediSQL Win User
    Bootable Partition Recovery

Eeshwar,

That covers how to set up a dual boot configuration in the first place. I was doing all that easy stuff over 15 years ago. I need to know how recover an existing dual boot configuration that got broken by re-installing Windows. There is "boot configuration
    data" that is modified using BCDEDIT. I need to what information BCDEDIT needs for my Windows 7 partition and how to enter it. If you could route this to a second tier engineer, that would be awesome.

I have expensive software installed in that partition, and I need to run it so that I can release the activation and install the software elsewhere.

JediSQL, Jun 12, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Hi.
    One of our members has developed a custom recovery media, which you can find here:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

It would fit on a 2GB stick.

If you want the W10 operating system (for future installation or DISM procedures) it would fit on an 8Gb stick.

If you're talking about creating bootable recovery media from an OEM using their pre-installed software, it could be slightly larger, but should still fit on an 8GB stick.

Images of your entire hard drive should be kept on an external hard drive.

Hope that helps.

simrick, Jun 12, 2016
  5. Kyhi Win User
    I believe you are looking to make a Windows OEM Recovery Drive...
    Control Panel > Recovery > Create a Recovery Drive

You can test the size of USB needed by inserting any USB - if not larger enough - it will tell you the needed size...
    For the Price of USB's - I would just opt for a 32GB USB - as that is the Max Size Supported By UEFI Removable Media ..

6. megabyte Win User
    I upgraded from Win 7 to the free Win 10.

In your opinion, what are all of the things that are necessary for me to do ?

megabyte, Jun 12, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    This is what I do for my systems, it requires an 8 GB USB flash drive.

Make a bootable USB flash drive with the Media Creation Tool:
    Windows 10

Replace the boot.wim file on the Windows 10 USB flash drive with the boot.wim file from Kyhi's recovery drive (read the quote in the middle of this OP):
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

Export the drivers for the computer by doing the following:
    1. Create a folder on the Windows 10 USB flash drive. You can name it anything, let's use Drivers for an example.
    2. Right click on the start icon, select Command Prompt (Admin).
    3. In the command prompt window run:
    DISM.exe /Online /Export-Driver /Destination:E:\Drivers

The path in red will be to the folder you created on the USB flash drive.

4. Make sure your computer can boot from the flash drive.

You now have the tools to fix just about whatever would go wrong with your computer and you have the ability to re-install Windows from scratch and have any drivers available that might be unique to your computer.

NavyLCDR, Jun 12, 2016
  8. megabyte Win User

Navy LCDR, I have to spend some time with this. It is beyond my comfort zone, but I will do it. I know you say it is all I need, but just in case I mess up, can I do both the OEM Recovery Drive and what you have suggested all on the same USB drive?
    Also, I am assuming I should not use this USB drive for anything else. Is that correct?

Lastly, are any of the suggested known also as 'Create a system repair disk' which is what I am used to?

megabyte, Jun 15, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    You cannot do the OEM recovery drive and the Windows installation/Kyhi recovery drive on the same USB flash drive. They have to be on two separate flash drives.

You can also use the USB flash drive for regular file storage. You just can't use the same USB flash drive for two separate operations that require it to be bootable. Both the OEM recovery drive and the Windows 10 installation/Kyhi recovery drive require booting from the USB flash drive, so they cannot both be on the same one.

Both the OEM recovery drive and the Windows 10 installation/Kyhi recovery drive are system repair disks.

NavyLCDR, Jun 15, 2016
  10. megabyte Win User
    Okay, I understand now. Thank you so much.

megabyte, Jun 16, 2016
  11. Rocky Win User
    To the OP. Also remember to back up your data just in case.

Rocky, Jun 16, 2016
  12. megabyte Win User
    I forgot to get back to you. All went well except I forgot to test booting from the flash drive. Could you please give me the steps to do this? I am worried that I might make a mess of things, which would not be the first time!

megabyte, Jul 29, 2016
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

First make sure you shut down Windows 10 completely. To do that, you hold down the shift key when you click on shutdown from the power icon on the start menu.

Insert the flash drive.

Press the power button.

At the first sign of life/computer logo there will be a key to press to enter the bios boot menu. It might be ESC, F2, F12, DEL, INS, some other function key. It depends upon your computer/motherboard. Press the right key and you should get a list of boot devices including the HDD, USB, DVD....

Select the USB and see if you get the menu the USB flash drive boots into. Kyhi's recovery drive will boot into Windows desktop. Once it all settles down at whatever menu you get, then you can hold the power key to turn off the computer and remove the flash drive to reboot normally.

NavyLCDR, Jul 29, 2016
  14. megabyte Win User
    Sorry this too so long.
    After I clicked Esc, I chose the option HP Recovery. It took me to HP Recovery Manager wizard. Should I click continue or shutdown?

megabyte, Aug 3, 2016
  15. simrick Win User
    If you are trying to verify you can boot from your recovery media, then you need to get out of that HP program.

What you want is to press the appropriate key to get your one-time boot menu, so you can select to boot from the USB drive. It may be F2 on HP systems, I am not sure.

simrick, Aug 3, 2016
Thema:

1. Bootable disk? Recovery disk? What do I need? - Similar Threads - Bootable disk Recovery

2. What's the Best Bootable Flashdrive or External Disk to Bootable .ISO App?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What's the Best Bootable Flashdrive or External Disk to Bootable .ISO App?: Hello Windows friends. For example you made on your flashdrive or external drive using YUMi or Rufus, bootable flashdrive wherein you have customize tools and installer if you use YUMI for example, to sake time you wan to convert that flashdrive or external drive to a...
  3. Recovery Disk

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Recovery Disk: Hey I have this “old” laptop i need to sell. I did the system reset which took forever. But now there is this Recovery disk which i can’t open. What is it for? can/should i remove it before selling? https://imgur.com/a/7raeGuN submitted by /u/Juicy-Cucumber [link]...
  4. What to do with a nearly full Recovery Disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What to do with a nearly full Recovery Disk: Noticed this problem today. I have 1.54 free of 12.8 GB on my laptop. I never use Recovery D:, So I guess it automatically fills up when I save things? How do I free more space without deleting and altering?...
  5. how do i use a recovery disk

how do i use a recovery disk: Hi! I have windows 10. I started having problems with it so I used a recovery usb drive and now it won't recovery and reset the operating system. what do I do next? it was a digital activated, from windows 7....
  6. Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk: Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable PE Rescue Disk Created a Custom Windows 10 Recovery Tools and Bootable Rescue Disk in ISO format Based on the Win10PESE project found on TheOven.org - Thanks to those that contributed.. It allows you access to any non-working system...
  7. disk is not bootable

in Windows 10 Support
    disk is not bootable: hi, I have a folder structure (see below) that is created after upgrade from W7 to W10. In my previous question a day ago it was confirmed that it could be used for creating W10 installation media. So I don't want to repeat how it was created. It was created automatically...
  8. Burn bootable disk

in Windows 10 Support
    Burn bootable disk: I have a .bin file, how do I make this file bootable? 87221
  9. Burning a bootable disk

Burning a bootable disk: I am trying to burn a bootable disk from a Windows 7 ISO for my brother he had lost the original media OEM I gave him with the machine I upgraded the CPU and RAM SSD etc for him.. Now I have done this before using PowerISO and did that at a relatively slow rate because I...
  10. Recovery disk. What functions will it perform?

Recovery disk. What functions will it perform?: Hi, Just curious. I created a recovery disk on a 32 GB flash drive that included the system files and has 17.2 GB of used space. What functions can I perform with this disk? E. G., Clean install? Refresh/reset? I'm wondering if the USB stick that I made with the "media...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. do i need a recovery disk if i already have a wininstall disk?

2. windows 10-usb repair-how much space do i need on usb

3. How much flash drive space we need for a bootable disk recovery

4. why do i need a bootable disk,
  5. win 10 do i need a recovery usb