Windows 10: Bootable thumb drive created with Media Creation Tool not recognized

Discus and support Bootable thumb drive created with Media Creation Tool not recognized in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Using my old Windows 7 x64 Ultimate machine, I have created a bootable thumb drive using the Media Creation Tool but the thumb drive is not being... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mrblint, Mar 30, 2019.

1. mrblint Win User

Bootable thumb drive created with Media Creation Tool not recognized

Using my old Windows 7 x64 Ultimate machine, I have created a bootable thumb drive using the Media Creation Tool but the thumb drive is not being recognized by the new (target) PC where I want to install Windows 10, which is running a Gigabyte GA-Z270M-D3H motherboard with 16GB RAM.

I've created the bootable thumb twice and have also tried using Rufus with an ISO. But flashed to the latest BIOS (9 MARCH 2018) the new PC simply does not "see" either of these thumb drives as valid boot options, regardless of whether CSM is enabled or disabled, or the boot storage devices are set to Legacy or UEFI.

When I examine the created thumb drive, the contents look "sane". I can see the Windows 10 folders and files for 32-bit and 64-bit installations.

There's a Crucial SSD on SATA1, and an ASUS DVD burner on SATA0 on the new target machine.

QUESTIONS:
    Does the machine that is used to create the bootable thumb drive itself have to support UEFI? Or just the target PC?

Are some types of thumb drives incapable of being used as bootable devices? If so, how can I tell whether mine can be used in this manner? Properties->General shows that it is formatted FAT32. and that it has 28GB free. It is listed under Hardware as USB SG Flash USB Device.

There's always the possibility that the BIOS on this new MB is flaky and is to blame for these problems, but I don't know how to determine that. I do know that some things are weird. The BIOS and the MB memory slot labels do not jibe. Here's my memory configuration showing how the MB labels the slots:

[ ] DDR4_4
    [ occupied ] DDR4_2
    [ ] DDR4_3
    [ occupied ] DDR4_1

But the BIOS reports that slots 2 and 4 are in use.

If I move the sticks to different slots:

[ occupied ] DDR4_4
    [ ] DDR4_2
    [ occupied ] DDR4_3
    [ ] DDR4_1

the BIOS reports that slots 1 and 3 are in use.

:)

mrblint, Mar 30, 2019
  2. JDHuynh Win User

Thumb Drive Partition created by Windows 10 Media Creation Tool

No, but this is not the partition that I'm talking about. I used Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to create an installation partition on a thumb drive. That partition was used to update my Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Anniversary on my PC. Now I can only access
    the installation partition with the setup files on my thumb drive. There's an old partition with al my data on the thumb drive, but I can't access it. I would like to be able to access it to retrieve my data.

JDHuynh, Mar 30, 2019
  3. Waleed_A Win User
    Creating Bootable USB drive with Windows 10 Media Creation Tool

Hi,

My situation is oddly enough EXACTLY like yours. I am using Windows 7 Home Premium on my laptop to create a bootable USB drive to boot Window 10 onto my newly built PC.

I do hope that Microsoft fix this issue in the Media Creation Tool.

I have tried to get the Media Creation Tool to recognize my Kingston (8GB) and my Sandisk Cruzer Blade (16GB). None have worked.

I tried the other rufus method as well with no success at all.

Hopefully Microsoft solves this.

Thanks in advance.

Waleed_A, Mar 30, 2019
  4. Bootable thumb drive created with Media Creation Tool not recognized

Cannot create recovery drive or bootable usb using media creation tool

Hi Stuart,

To assist you better with your concern, are you getting an error message upon creating a recovery drive, as well as creating a bootable USB drive? If yes, what's the error message?

In addition to that, have you tried the steps from the following articles:

Regards.

Marque Lor, Mar 30, 2019
Thema:

Bootable thumb drive created with Media Creation Tool not recognized

1. Bootable thumb drive created with Media Creation Tool not recognized - Similar Threads - Bootable thumb drive

2. Microsoft Media Creation Tool - should this create a bootable USB drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Media Creation Tool - should this create a bootable USB drive?: Hi,I have a USB external Hard Drive one TB in size with two partitions. I made the first partition 32 GB in size and formatted it as FAT32. It was assigned the letter D:. I made a second partition that includes all of the remaining space, and formatted it as NTFS. It was...
  3. Microsoft Media Creation Tool - should this create a bootable USB drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Media Creation Tool - should this create a bootable USB drive?: Hi,I have a USB external Hard Drive one TB in size with two partitions. I made the first partition 32 GB in size and formatted it as FAT32. It was assigned the letter D:. I made a second partition that includes all of the remaining space, and formatted it as NTFS. It was...
  4. Microsoft Media Creation Tool - should this create a bootable USB drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Problem while creating usb bootable from microsoft media creation tool

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Problem while creating usb bootable from microsoft media creation tool: Why this problem arises while creating usb bootable from media creation tool ?How can I solved it ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problem-while-creating-usb-bootable-from-microsoft/d39da4cd-c784-410a-901b-63cc30573eeb
  6. Creating a Bootable USB Using The Media Creation Tool Triggers a BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Creating a Bootable USB Using The Media Creation Tool Triggers a BSOD: Whenever I try to create a bootable USB using the media creation tool, I get an ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READ_ONLY_MEMORY BSOD. Here are the minidumps: https://www.mediafire.com/file/j64hqzsi32zuzk8/minidump.7z/file....
  7. Creating a Media Creation tool 2004

Creating a Media Creation tool 2004: I have down loaded the program from your web site. I am installing the program on a 256 scan disk thumb drive. The drive is correctly formatted. I follow all instructions. The program fully loads on the drive. It then goes into a verifying of down load. At 59% I get an error...
  8. Unable to create Windows 10 bootable media using media creation tool

Unable to create Windows 10 bootable media using media creation tool: I have troubles downloading windows 10 using media creation tool. I used a USB to get a copy of windows 10 for my new computer but the Windows 10 setup uses the wrong disk space. I used a Removable Disk (F:) but instead it tries to connect to the other disk space. What should...
  9. Restore thumb drive from Windows Media Creation Tool to 'normal'

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Restore thumb drive from Windows Media Creation Tool to 'normal': Greetings, I usually resolve this type of issue via a Google search but I wasn't exactly sure how to phrase my question. 1. I have a Sandisk Ultra Fit thumb drive (recommend, by the by) 2. I had to reformat it as a bootable Windows Media Creation drive (so that I...
  10. Does the Media Creation Tool create a bootable USB or DVD

Does the Media Creation Tool create a bootable USB or DVD: Does the Media Creation Tool create a bootable USB or DVD. If not how can I make it bootable? Jim 30984