Windows 10: Bootable USB drive

Discus and support Bootable USB drive in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi I have been speaking to Macrium via Facebook and decided I will go for the full version and have the security of a full image if my notebook ever... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by stuarttunstall, May 18, 2017.

1. Bootable USB drive

Hi

I have been speaking to Macrium via Facebook and decided I will go for the full version and have the security of a full image if my notebook ever goes wrong.... plus they gave me a 20% discount code so that is good *Smile

Just a couple of questions....

1. I want to create a bootable USB how can I check if the USB drive I have is bootable and has the MBT partition that Macrium state it needs?

2. Can I store the image on my external drive in a folder just for this use?

Stuart

:)

stuarttunstall, May 18, 2017
  2. Linney Win User

Won't successfully boot my SpinRite CD, so is FreeDOS incompatibile? But flash drive with FreeDOS runs fine. Also S.M.A.R.T. info in final Replies.

" go thru the process of recreating one to make it bootable"

The USB must be bootable not just a plain old files storage drive as seen in Explorer.

Bootable USB's are created, not copied, from or to.

Copy a bootable usb drive to another usb device

Copy a bootable usb drive to another usb device - [Solved] - Windows 8

Linney, May 18, 2017
  3. neilpzz Win User
    How to Reinstall Windows 10 Upgrade?

You can download the ISO image to your PC and then use other tools to create a bootable USB flash drive.

I had to use Diskpart to create a bootable USB flash drive, then copy the contents of the ISO to the drive. (it needs to be at least 4GB)How to Create a Bootable USB Drive Without Using Any Software

neilpzz, May 18, 2017
  4. WOT
    WOT Win User

Bootable USB drive

There is a manual way to get the rescue media ready but it is more cumbersome than just trying to let Macrium do it for you:

http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/dis...for+Windows+PE

Hope this answers your questions.

good luck,

5. Excellent, so Macrium does not do it for me the same as when I created my Windows 10 USB from the Microsoft site *Smile

I just use diskpart on the USB first?

I wondered if the USB Drive already had it as that states some do... can I check this?

I am going to continue using the Memeo back up I use already for files/folders and duplicate with Macrium, plus I get a full drive image *Smile

On te drive image, I presume if, for instance I replaced the HDD I could restore a new drive to the exact same as my current one?

6. WOT
    WOT Win User
    The short answer is yes; however, I will defer answering that question "fully" to those who have done it extensively with Macrium. For example, I have never tried to restore a standard hard drive image to a new SSD so I don't know how the SSD offsets might be handled.

7. Thank you...

Will get Macrium ordered today/tomorrow, may as well be safe Lol

8. Bootable USB drive

Hi... another question....

Am I correct when I use diskpart to get the USB ready I type this command when using Windows 10?

Bootable USB drive [​IMG]

9. Sorry another question...

First, am I correct in saying I use the command shown above to format the USB Drive?

Also, I have never used diskpart, I presume that the smaller capacity will be my 16GB USB drive as it shows as "disk 1" when plugged in and does not show when removed.... Sorry stupid question.... No idea why my 1TB drive states 5120KB as free when I have 757GB free and that includes the windows.old folder and instalation from CU

Bootable USB drive [​IMG]

stuarttunstall, May 19, 2017
  10. cereberus Win User
    All you have to do is have a fomatted drive - fat32. The first thing it asks is to create a rescue drive - it does the rest all for you.

cereberus, May 19, 2017
  11. cereberus Win User
    It does it all for you including alignments. No user input needed at all.

cereberus, May 19, 2017
  12. Fantastic... even easier... I thought I needed to follow that procedure from the Macrium site, but if all I need to do if format the USB stick even I can manage that Lol ...

stuarttunstall, May 19, 2017
  13. Bootable USB drive

Just to confirm... I just format my new 16GB USB Drive as "fat32" then Macrium will do the rest?

I am just about to order it and get it all sorted... new to all this sort of stuff Lol .... even though I have been using PC's for years...

stuarttunstall, May 20, 2017
  14. WOT
    WOT Win User
    Hi Stuart,

Why not just download Macrium Free and take it for a test run? In fact, the free version may be all you need unless you want some of the paid version extended options. I have used the free version for years and it works quite well. Go here, download it, and try to create your rescue media as posted earlier by just inserting your dive and clicking "create rescue media."

Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free

15. Good idea *Smile will give that a try ...

As I say been using PC's for years but still a bit new to this side of things, although I do back up files on a regular basis... but doing an full image seems a much better and safer option especially with Windows 10 updating by itself to newer versions... although so far all mine have gone perfect.... but you do read bad stuff Lol..

stuarttunstall, May 20, 2017
Thema:

Bootable USB drive

1. Bootable USB drive - Similar Threads - Bootable USB drive

2. Issue with Creating USB Bootable drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Issue with Creating USB Bootable drive: My USB is 256GB and I need to image a company computer with a image in .iso format. This iso is 26.7 GB in size.I reformated the USB to exfat .I downloaded the Microsoft Media Creation tool and created a bootable USB using the tool and this seems to have shrunck my USB to...
  3. Make a 59GB USB drive bootable?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Make a 59GB USB drive bootable?: Hi, my USB drive is 59GB and I can't make it bootable with Rufus. The drive is a GPT style and I can't change it to MBR or it won't boot. I also can't use active command since it is a GPT disk. How do I make it bootable?...
  4. creating bootable cd/usb drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    creating bootable cd/usb drive.: How do you create a bootable cd/USB drive in windows 10 or can I? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/creating-bootable-cdusb-drive/9d71be61-a696-496a-9b75-d5cd792e0208
  5. Bootable USB Drive Not Showing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bootable USB Drive Not Showing: Hi, please help, I still can't boot my laptop properly.This problem is the continuation from this...
  6. BOOTABLE USB RECOVERY DRIVE questions.

in Windows 10 Support
    BOOTABLE USB RECOVERY DRIVE questions.: I have a couple of questions concerning USB Recovery Drives such as can be created by AOEMI and MACRUM Backup programs. They have got my PCs going many times over the years. First ,does the Flash Drive have to be empty?I think I recall having to format the drive before use,...
  7. Creating a bootable USB drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Creating a bootable USB drive: Hi, I was experiencing something unexpected, when trying to create the drive. Maybe you can tell me what went wrong, as I do not understand it. So, I wanted to help a friend reinstall the OS via thumb drive. This should be pretty straightforward. Download the ISO use a...
  8. bootable usb drive

in Windows 10 Support
    bootable usb drive: I am having issues with a new dell 3781 laptop with win 10 pro. The dell os recovery file installed on a direct download to usb drive won't boot but goes directly to the desktop. To test this I need any bootable usb file software from any source, preferably a small file....
  9. Issue creating bootable USB drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Issue creating bootable USB drive: Hi all, my first post. Thank you for any assistance in advance. I got a new 2nd hand Asus 2 in 1. I managed to finally get a fully functional Ubuntu Linux distro (dual boot) working on it. Unfortunately after getting it finally functional (Cheery Trail processors are not...
  10. Determine whether a usb drive is bootable

in Windows 10 Support
    Determine whether a usb drive is bootable: Short of rebooting, is there some way to tell whether a usb drive is bootable? 105327