Windows 10: Bootable USB drive

Discus and support Bootable USB drive in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Good idea *Smile will give that a try ... As I say been using PC's for years but still a bit new to this side of things, although I do back up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by stuarttunstall, May 18, 2017.

1. WOT
    WOT Win User

Bootable USB drive

Free is all you need.

Bootable USB drive [​IMG]

2. cereberus Win User

Read this tutorial

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect Windows 10 Backup Restore Tutorials

cereberus, May 20, 2017
  3. stuarttunstall, May 20, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

Bootable USB drive

All credit goes to our resident Super Guru @Kari.

MR is the Rolls Royce of imaging tools!

cereberus, May 20, 2017
  5. That is why I am buying the HOME version rather than the free after reading all the good reviews on here , the incremental backups may be useful and similar to Memeo I use now, but I will use both still, Memeo for the automatic backups but maybe once a week do a fail safe full image/back up if all fails... MUCH easier to restore if anything went wrong...

Memeo needs me to install everything first then restore rather than all in one... (I presume that is correct lol)

stuarttunstall, May 20, 2017
  6. One more question.... sorry *Smile

Will Macrium work OK with the latest Windows 10 CU 1703?

Just been reading a few posts on the Macrium forum and it seems that there is not a winpe version for 1703 .. New recovery disk after Updating Windows 10

7. cereberus Win User
    That post is talking about new winpe features that might come with 1703 that could be utilised by software developers. Macrium Reflect might use those features to provide new features at some point in the future. However, the existing Winpe for 1607 is fine and works perfectly on 1703 - used it many times.

In fact, for compatibility reasons due to a crap bios on my pc, I am using winpe 4 from Windows 8. This means there are some really advanced features I probably cannot use but those features are for corporate systems and I would never use them anyway.

So in simple terms, it is fine.

cereberus, May 20, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

Bootable USB drive

A really great plus of the paid version is Rapid Delta Restore. If, for example, you screwed up permissions on some files in a system folder which is hard to undo, and can stop parts of OS working, or you deleted some files but did not know what, then if you restore the backed up image from earlier over current install, it only restores the differences.

I did this recently and the Restore took 2 minutes instead of usual 30+ minutes.

Of course, any new data since last image backup is also removed if on partitions being restored but that is no different to any restore (also why I keep data in a separate partition).

cereberus, May 20, 2017
  9. Thank you all for the great advice and answering my queations... just about to pay now and get my first image done... better be safe...

Took me years to realise I should do this lol

Stuart

10. Now the owner of the full HOME version of Macrium Reflect *Smile

Just need to install now and create the rescue USB and my first image... Will do that tomorrow when I have a bit more time...

Thank you all for the help and advice, I do appreciate it..

stuarttunstall, May 21, 2017
  11. I know this has been answered, as an idiot I just want to be sure... I have just formatted my new 16GB USB drive "fat32" is that all I need to do with the drive?

When I install Macrium Reflect it will do the rest for m *Smile

stuarttunstall, May 22, 2017
  12. Here goes... paid version installed.... rescue USB created (yet to test) and now creating my first image... very easy to use... or seems to be☺ taking about 1 hour or just over to do the first image to My external drive of my 1TB drive with 185GB used this includes 40GB Windows.old folder and installation folder for the CU update... Does that sound right, time wise?

Started at 16.39 now 17.48 and 2 mins left or there abouts ... 5 partitions

Hopefully a little safer now lol

Cam you use the notebook whilst doing the image? ... seems to slow mine down a bit though

**UPDATE**

Took about an hour and 10 mins to do the full image, just doing the verify now *Wink

I presume the differential and incremental backups are much quicker?

stuarttunstall, May 25, 2017
  13. cereberus Win User

Bootable USB drive

I always use disk cleanup before a full image backup to delete windows.old + temp files etc. to keep size down. No real point in backing up windows.old as you can just backup previous version anyway.

Diff/inc backups will only take a few minutes for average user.

cereberus, May 25, 2017
  14. I did think of that after I started the image...Lol...

If I deleted the folders will they delete from the image with the diff/inc backups?

stuarttunstall, May 25, 2017
  15. cereberus Win User
    Sort of - when you restore from diff or inc, they will instructions not to restore windows.old from full image. Personally, I would redo full image.

cereberus, May 26, 2017
Thema:

Bootable USB drive

1. Bootable USB drive - Similar Threads - Bootable USB drive

2. Issue with Creating USB Bootable drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Issue with Creating USB Bootable drive: My USB is 256GB and I need to image a company computer with a image in .iso format. This iso is 26.7 GB in size.I reformated the USB to exfat .I downloaded the Microsoft Media Creation tool and created a bootable USB using the tool and this seems to have shrunck my USB to...
  3. Make a 59GB USB drive bootable?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Make a 59GB USB drive bootable?: Hi, my USB drive is 59GB and I can't make it bootable with Rufus. The drive is a GPT style and I can't change it to MBR or it won't boot. I also can't use active command since it is a GPT disk. How do I make it bootable?...
  4. creating bootable cd/usb drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    creating bootable cd/usb drive.: How do you create a bootable cd/USB drive in windows 10 or can I? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/creating-bootable-cdusb-drive/9d71be61-a696-496a-9b75-d5cd792e0208
  5. Bootable USB Drive Not Showing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bootable USB Drive Not Showing: Hi, please help, I still can't boot my laptop properly.This problem is the continuation from this...
  6. BOOTABLE USB RECOVERY DRIVE questions.

in Windows 10 Support
    BOOTABLE USB RECOVERY DRIVE questions.: I have a couple of questions concerning USB Recovery Drives such as can be created by AOEMI and MACRUM Backup programs. They have got my PCs going many times over the years. First ,does the Flash Drive have to be empty?I think I recall having to format the drive before use,...
  7. Creating a bootable USB drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Creating a bootable USB drive: Hi, I was experiencing something unexpected, when trying to create the drive. Maybe you can tell me what went wrong, as I do not understand it. So, I wanted to help a friend reinstall the OS via thumb drive. This should be pretty straightforward. Download the ISO use a...
  8. bootable usb drive

in Windows 10 Support
    bootable usb drive: I am having issues with a new dell 3781 laptop with win 10 pro. The dell os recovery file installed on a direct download to usb drive won't boot but goes directly to the desktop. To test this I need any bootable usb file software from any source, preferably a small file....
  9. Issue creating bootable USB drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Issue creating bootable USB drive: Hi all, my first post. Thank you for any assistance in advance. I got a new 2nd hand Asus 2 in 1. I managed to finally get a fully functional Ubuntu Linux distro (dual boot) working on it. Unfortunately after getting it finally functional (Cheery Trail processors are not...
  10. Determine whether a usb drive is bootable

in Windows 10 Support
    Determine whether a usb drive is bootable: Short of rebooting, is there some way to tell whether a usb drive is bootable? 105327