Windows 10: Bootable USB Not Working.....What am I Missing??

Discus and support Bootable USB Not Working.....What am I Missing?? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hey all. A couple weeks ago I got my question answered here and yesterday was the first time I had free time to get into the repair. In a nutshell... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Nalajr, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Nalajr Win User

Bootable USB Not Working.....What am I Missing??

Hey all.

A couple weeks ago I got my question answered here and yesterday was the first time I had free time to get into the repair. In a nutshell my HDD is not working on my laptop. I bought an SSD to replace it with. The person that so graciously helped me posted a link to the MS MEDIA CREATION TOOL so I can make a bootable USB and install Win10.

i downloaded it and told it I was making this media for another computer. It downloaded and then went through verifying everything went well and all is well.

I plug it in, boot up the broken laptop, press F2 and get into the BIOS. It recognized my USB drive and I changed the boot order so that it would boot to this USB thumb drive and I’d be on my way to getting things corrected..........except it didn’t happen like that. In fact, NOTHING new happened. It was as if the thumb drive was non-existent.

I had not installed the SSD yet because I was going to try and see if I could get it to install or repair the problem so I could salvage as many of my files as I could and THEN I’d install the new SSD. Besides, ASUS was nice enough to NOT put in an access panel to the HDD so I have to take the machine apart to get at the HDD.

Am I missing something or leaving a step out? I did this about a year ago with a thumb drive and the laptop booted right into the Thumb Drive. That was just a fresh install and NOT an HDD failure and replacement.

So, I don’t know what went wrong. Is there something else I have to do after it verifies I downloaded the Media Creation Tool and put it on the

USB drive properly?

At this point I am stuck. It should boot up to the USB drive even if there isnt an HDD present, correct? I have it in there, its just non-functioning.

Any help you can give me sure woukd be appreciated. I’m pretty much at my wits end with this piece of crapola from ASUS. I’d darn near try anything at this point.

I’m going to go to the link I used, d-load the Media Creation Tool again and go through it all to make sure I am doing it right. Hopefully you all can re-orient me in the right direction so that I might be able to once again have a functioning laptop tonight or tomorrow. Sorry about the fragment of a sentence below....my IPhone wouldn’t let me move my cursor down there to edit and delete it. Go figure.

Today just ain’t my day!!

USB drive properly the Media Creation Tool

:)

Nalajr, Oct 20, 2018
  2. Agility Win User

Multi-bootable USB

Hey guys from TPU, couldn't find any specific thread pertaining to the question asked on title. As mentioned, I'm trying to create a bootable USB, but with many specifics boots available.

I've been trying to create one with multiple boot device including one that enables me to run Windows 10 directly on the USB Thumb Drive but to no avail.

The list of bootable images i'm trying to create are

1. Windows 10 (A full OS running from thumb drive)
    2. Windows 10 ISO (Bootable disk image for fresh install)
    3. MemTest86+

Have tried YUMI or UUI from the website USB PenDrive Linux but as this is my first time, i don't know how am i screwing up or am doing it right.. Anyone got a rough idea on a step by step guide? Thanks!

Agility, Oct 20, 2018
  3. Bootable USB with ISO - What am I missing?

I am trying to install win7 from a USB. I set the USB to be first boot and it finds it, but wont install the iso.

I have tried ...

However when I get to bootsect it does not do anything .. says it is not a recognized internal command ...

Is there something I am missing? I even tried just loading the iso on the USB and booting, but did not work either

Is there an easier way?

copenhagen69, Oct 20, 2018
  4. Chewy Win User

Ipod bootable drive?

I want to know if I can make my ipod a usb bootable drive.. will it mess up my ipod? I need to flash my video card back to normal.. Neros bootable cd gave me an error. I used a step by step guide, but thats another story.

Chewy, Oct 20, 2018
Thema:

1. Bootable USB Not Working.....What am I Missing?? - Similar Threads - Bootable USB Working

2. Bootable USB not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bootable USB not working: My primary laptop, out of blue, couldn't boot from its Hard drive. Automatic Repair did appear, but that also stopped after once, no options being shown. I suspected it was because my hard drive got corrupted. I got a pendrive, made it bootable using media creation tool.Now,...
  3. Bootable USB not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bootable USB not working: My primary laptop, out of blue, couldn't boot from its Hard drive. Automatic Repair did appear, but that also stopped after once, no options being shown. I suspected it was because my hard drive got corrupted. I got a pendrive, made it bootable using media creation tool.Now,...
  4. Bootable USB is missing Network Adapter

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bootable USB is missing Network Adapter: I want to make a bootable usb for Windows 1803 using Rufus I choose the Windows To Go option let it run boot into Windows but the network adapter is missing and my GPU isn’t being recognized and when I try to install the network adapter drivers it’s says I need to install 3.5...
  5. Bootable USB is missing Network Adapter

Bootable USB is missing Network Adapter: I want to make a bootable usb for Windows 1803 using Rufus I choose the Windows To Go option let it run boot into Windows but the network adapter is missing and my GPU isn’t being recognized and when I try to install the network adapter drivers it’s says I need to install 3.5...
  6. Bootable USB is missing Network Adapter

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. What am I missing???

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    What am I missing???: Hi I’m having some major issues. I’ve been trying to get back into my personal computer and it’s asking me to do the verify app but that app isn’t connected to my email. I never set up. It keeps asking me for a code that’s not going to be generated. What do I do? Can’t get in...
  8. What am I missing???

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What am I missing???: I have gone through this four times, what next? Brand new copy of Win 10 on USB received today. What file could possibly be missing??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-am-i-missing/04a9578c-fe99-4b01-bc26-be1ced8f7eea
  9. What am I missing???

What am I missing???: I have gone through this four times, what next? Brand new copy of Win 10 on USB received today. What file could possibly be missing??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-am-i-missing/04a9578c-fe99-4b01-bc26-be1ced8f7eea
  10. What am I missing???

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade

Users found this page by searching for:

1. new ssd trieds to install win10 from usb and disc keep getting told to plug in bootable drive