Windows 10: Bootable Windows install USB devices UEFI

Discus and support Bootable Windows install USB devices UEFI in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi there there's definitely a problem on some older computers with UEFI boot if the iso file is > than 4.5 GB. Up to that the file system is FAT32 and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jimbo45, Jun 14, 2021.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Bootable Windows install USB devices UEFI

Hi there there's definitely a problem on some older computers with UEFI boot if the iso file is > than 4.5 GB. Up to that the file system is FAT32 and computers will boot OK. If greater than that then NTFS appears to be forced and some computers won't boot . I think the absolute limit is in fact the current Windows iso created by the mct which has a size of 4.463,295 KB which boots OK. If the iso is any bigger I think somewhow you need to split the install.wim and mess around with it that way. Shouldn't be a problem on modern machines but we aren't always running the latest hardware. Running as a VM and restoring back to a physical machine using Macrium and attempting to fix the boot problems won't work either in some machines as the bootloader will be the new NTFS/EFI one which will fail probably with message "Inacessible boot device" or something similar. As a VM the bootloader is different of course !!! so the VM will boot regardless. So if you can't install or keep getting boot failures this could be the cause. Cheers jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jun 14, 2021
  2. Agility Win User

Multi-bootable USB

Hey guys from TPU, couldn't find any specific thread pertaining to the question asked on title. As mentioned, I'm trying to create a bootable USB, but with many specifics boots available.

I've been trying to create one with multiple boot device including one that enables me to run Windows 10 directly on the USB Thumb Drive but to no avail.

The list of bootable images i'm trying to create are

1. Windows 10 (A full OS running from thumb drive)
    2. Windows 10 ISO (Bootable disk image for fresh install)
    3. MemTest86+

Have tried YUMI or UUI from the website USB PenDrive Linux but as this is my first time, i don't know how am i screwing up or am doing it right.. Anyone got a rough idea on a step by step guide? Thanks!

Agility, Jun 14, 2021
  3. Install Windows 10 using UEFI bootable USB thumb drive

You need to go into you system bios and select allow uefi usb drive. Then add the UEFI usb drive to the boot menu

better way to partition aand create an bootable usb.

For the UEFI system, we can use these steps to create the bootable USB:

1.Locate a 4GB or larger USB flash drive

2.Open Diskpart and run the following command cmd admin type diskpart

• Type DiskPart in the command prompt.
    • Type "List Disk” (make note of the disk number of the target USB drive).
    • Type "Select Disk X”, where X is the target USB drive noted in step 4.
    • Type "Clean”.
    • Type "Create Partition Primary”.
    • Type "format FS=fat32 quick”.
    • Type "Active”.
    • Type "Assign".
    • Type "Exit".

Copy your ISO files to the drive and reboot

never use UEFI it better to repartition and remove UEFI go with legacy bois

bfvetscolakid, Jun 14, 2021
  4. Bootable Windows install USB devices UEFI

Trouble installing windows 7 on RAID in UEFI

As the title says, I'm trying to install Windows on a RAID array in uefi on my Maximus V Formula. When using legacy ROM I can install just fine but I go into CSM and change settings to UEFI only, I can build the array in the UEFI Raid driver (IRST tab in "BIOS") but the array does not show up in the boot menu and when I try to install windows (boot from UEFI DVD drive), The drive does not show up in the Windows install. The next thing I tried was to enable UEFI and legacy oprom in CSM, boot from UEFI DVD drive and install to the RAID array (probably detected by legacy oprom) and it will install. After first reboot, Windows Boot manager will show up as an option in the BIOS boot menu so I set that as first boot device and reboot. I will get to the starting windows screen and then BSOD (too quick to get codes) The last thing I tried was Changing to legacy mode and installing windows to a different drive. once installed, I initialized the Raid array as GPT and rebooted, changed csm back to UEFI only but they RAID array still doesn't show in the boot device list so I repeated the earlier process hoping that It might work because I had initialized as GPT but it still BSODs on starting windows screen. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

mystiksinner, Jun 14, 2021
Thema:

Bootable Windows install USB devices UEFI

1. Bootable Windows install USB devices UEFI - Similar Threads - Bootable install USB

2. MBR bootable usb in UEFI!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MBR bootable usb in UEFI!: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,A moment ago I changed from Legacy mode to UEFI mode so I've Windows 10 bootable MBR USB, will it work on UEFI or need to convert USB to GPT?...
  3. MBR bootable usb in UEFI!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MBR bootable usb in UEFI!: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,A moment ago I changed from Legacy mode to UEFI mode so I've Windows 10 bootable MBR USB, will it work on UEFI or need to convert USB to GPT?...
  4. MBR bootable usb in UEFI!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows Setup/Installer Not Creating Bootable Drive in UEFI

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Setup/Installer Not Creating Bootable Drive in UEFI: Hi All,I'm having issues with a new PC build with getting a fresh windows install on a blank M.2 drive. Can anyone help me on this? Here's summary of issue: I can see my M.2 drive on the "EZ" screen of the BIOS so I know it's recognizable. I can boot from USB and start the...
  6. UEFI No Bootable Device?!

UEFI No Bootable Device?!: Dear Admins.I met all requirements to move on to Windows 11 but I need Secure Boot to continue but every time I move to UEFI , it keeps saying No Bootable Device and I am stuck running in Legacy. Please help me....
  7. How to install an UEFI-based ISO (bootable with DVD) on an USB flash?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to install an UEFI-based ISO (bootable with DVD) on an USB flash?: I have an UEFI-based ISO file for a tool on windows (This tool is NOT a WinOS but a separate utility tool). If I burn this ISO onto a DVD and boot it on an UEFI computer (without Secure Boot) everything works. However If I put this ISO with e.g. Rufus onto an USB flash drive...
  8. [UEFI] Added ssd, clean install windows on it without bootable usb?

[UEFI] Added ssd, clean install windows on it without bootable usb?: Hello, Is it possible to install a fresh copy of windows 10 to the new ssd without having to create a bootable usb drive? The notebook already has a hdd with windows 10 (uefi) in it. Moreover the activation tab in settings shows the windows have digital licence. Does this...
  9. Windows 10 bootable USB has 2 UEFI patitions?

Windows 10 bootable USB has 2 UEFI patitions?: Apologies if this is the incorrect forum for this but I was unsure where best to post this. I've created a Windows 10 bootable USB using Rufus in order to do a clean install of Windows but when accessing the Windows boot menu I have multiple options to choose from and was...
  10. USB Installer UEFI or Not?

USB Installer UEFI or Not?: Hey guys, I'm not so organized due to my health. I have multiple Windows 10 Installers, Linux etc, and usually choose to download the iso and create my own USB Installers, and usually label them appropriately. I have this one that I'm not sure if it was installed as UEFI, is...