Windows 10: Booting a Win 10 DVD in UEFi Mode for Windows installation

Discus and support Booting a Win 10 DVD in UEFi Mode for Windows installation in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; How do I set my BIOS to have the DVD boot and install Windows 10 in UEFI mode? I do see a setting on my Asus motherboard UEFI "CSM Compatability" and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by GregH, Aug 31, 2015.

1. GregH Win User

Booting a Win 10 DVD in UEFi Mode for Windows installation

How do I set my BIOS to have the DVD boot and install Windows 10 in UEFI mode? I do see a setting on my Asus motherboard UEFI "CSM Compatability" and in there are three options:
    UEFI and Legacy OPROM
    Legacy OPROM only
    UEFI only

Do I select UEFI only option here?

What is the benefit of installing in UEFI vs Legacy? All I understand is that the system sets up more partitions.

:)

GregH, Aug 31, 2015
  2. slance310 Win User

Replaced hard drive, now can't reinstall windows

Hi,

The Bios version should not be a problem...

The question is which option you are using... Legacy or UEFI...

Not necessarily to boot with, but to install with...

The reason being is that the HDD needs to be initialized differently for each...

Most people are familiar with selecting "MBR" when they first Initialize\Format a new HDD... Which is still the case for DATA drives for the most part, and as a OS drive using "Legacy" Bios....

Newer machines with Win 8 or higher preinstalled are almost always set to use "UEFI Bios"... Some older machines with Win 7 preinstalled even have this option, but they are normally set to "Legacy"...

Another possible issue is booting with the Installation Media on a DVD...

A lot of machines will automatically attempt to install in legacy mode when booting with a DVD... Some may have a UEFI DVD listed as a boot option...

Reinstalling Win 10 Clean would not change your Bios settings all in itself, but the machine may switch to whatever suits the Installation Media...

I would think that your machine should install Win 10 in the manner it was before...

UEFI or Legacy... automatically... along with how Win 10 detects stuff... But installing from a DVD MIGHT force a legacy install...

I can only suggest that you delete everything on the HDD and do not create any partitions at all... Then proceed with the Win 10 Custom Install...

Win 10 should then create what it needs...

I'm not sure where all of the partitions came from, but there are usually at least two in Legacy, and at least three in UEFI...

If your new HDD came from the computer manufacturer, it may have also had a partition to "Restore To Factory" which would reinstall the original Win 7...

slance310, Aug 31, 2015
  3. slance310 Win User
    Can not install Win10 preview on GPT partition

Hi,

For best results, use RUFUS to create a bootable Flash Drive...

Select GPT and format as FAT32...
    https://rufus.akeo.ie/

The Win 7 USB\DVD Tool won't create a USB that will boot in UEFI BIOS, but will work with the older Legacy Bios...

If you create Win 10 media from the Win 10 Create Media website, it should work with UEFI BIOS...

You may or may not be able to boot with a DVD... This is something that is not standardized well... Some machines will, and some won't...

Some machines have the CD\DVD drive listed twice in Boot Options...

Once as a SATA CD\DVD, and again as a UEFI CD\DVD... or something very close to that...

BTW... You might try selecting Custom Install... Advanced... to choose where you want it installed...

slance310, Aug 31, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Try UEFI only. Full UEFI will allow for the system boot disk to be partitioned with GPT rather than MBR. The biggest advantage of GPT over MBR is the ability to create more than 4 primary partitions and have partitions over 4tb in size. Being able to have more than 4 primary partitions allows greater flexibility in boot options into recovery and troubleshooting partitions or booting into multiple operating systems.

If UEFI only doesn't work, what you will likely get when you try to boot is just a flashing cursor on a black screen (that's what mine does, anyway). Then you can try Both UEFI and Legacy. Finally if that doesn't work, then Legacy only.

NavyLCDR, Aug 31, 2015
  5. GregH Win User
    Ok, thanks, like you I get the flashing cursor. I was able to get UEFI booting with the USB ISO but I gave up on the USB option as my Windows seemed to end up with all sorts of problems. Have installed from A Windows 10 Pro DVD now, just have the one partition plus the customary system partition. I don't mind not have multiple partitions on my primary (C*Smile drive as I have. 3 disk system.

GregH, Aug 31, 2015
  6. Kyhi Win User
    a uefi install creates 4 partitions - only three are shown in disk management

7. genet Win User
    You do not need to change the UEFI firmware (BIOS) settings.

Quote from this post: http://www.eightforums.com/installat...tml#post414211

Booting a Win 10 DVD in UEFi Mode for Windows installation [​IMG]

genet, Aug 31, 2015
  8. GregH Win User

Thanks genet - seems so simple in the end. I was digging in all dark corners of my firmware looking for this. F8 would have done it.

Will my system run slower now that I have installed in legacy mode?

GregH, Aug 31, 2015
  9. genet Win User
    No.

genet, Aug 31, 2015
  10. GregH Win User
    That's a relief. Thanks!

GregH, Aug 31, 2015
  11. Kyhi Win User
    Sorry Genet,
    That is not disk management - that is windows PE
    Disk management does not show the Reserved partition

Or was that as proof of 4 partitions, not sure why qouted..

12. genet Win User
    Yes.

genet, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Booting a Win 10 DVD in UEFi Mode for Windows installation - Similar Threads - Booting DVD UEFi

2. UEFI Boot Mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    UEFI Boot Mode: A year or so ago, I had a software kaboom in my Dell All in 1. It required that I switch to legacy boot mode, and then restart in Safe mode to get it going again. I have, some time ago tried to get UEFI boot mode back on but it did not work. Now I see the Win 11 will require...
  3. booting from cd/dvd to install win 10 os UEFI

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    booting from cd/dvd to install win 10 os UEFI: HI guys, wondering if i can get a little help of what im doing wrong So, ive had my windows 10 pro dvd that i had burnt for a few years now, and has always worked fine on booting up in legacy mode to install win 10. So my HTPC was still on win 7, and getting a new 3 tb hard...
  4. booting from cd/dvd to install win 10 os UEFI

in Windows 10 Support
    booting from cd/dvd to install win 10 os UEFI: HI guys, wondering if i can get a little help of what im doing wrong So, ive had my windows 10 pro dvd that i had burnt for a few years now, and has always worked fine on booting up in legacy mode to install win 10. So my HTPC was still on win 7, and getting a new 3 tb hard...
  5. Booting From DVD with Win 10 & UEFI

in Windows 10 Support
    Booting From DVD with Win 10 & UEFI: Hello, I tried to add a DVD to boot sequence but I couldn't find an option for this. I tried Dell's recommendation but they indicate that hardware might not be recognized by the system. I did use the DVD to install Win 10 initially, but it doesn't show up. Can someone explain...
  6. Failing to install Windows 10 in UEFI boot mode

Failing to install Windows 10 in UEFI boot mode: Hi I’ve been reading articles in this community and others the last couple of days and I’m getting more and more confused. I have made my first build with the following equipment: Asus Prime Z370-P (Bios version 1002x64, firmware 11.8.50.3470) Intel Core i5 8400 2,8GHz...
  7. Booting from WinPE CD/DVD Whilst in UEFI Mode

Booting from WinPE CD/DVD Whilst in UEFI Mode: Hi I have a system recently converted to UEFI using MBR2GPT. Today I created a bootable DVD using Kyhi's Recovery Tools ISO and want to run it up to find out exactly what I've got and how it works. Snag is I can't boot up from CD or DVD - my system just hangs. I've done...
  8. Install Windows 10 in Uefi Mode.

Install Windows 10 in Uefi Mode.: I am wondering if I can install windows 10 creator's update on my new hp laptop, I have it on usb, in uefi mode. The reason I ask is that my older laptop, also an hp did not allow me to install via eufi, but in legacy only. I think it has something to do with oem windows...
  9. Windows 10 installation from DVD in UEFI BIOS mode

Windows 10 installation from DVD in UEFI BIOS mode: Hello, I bought new laptop (HP 250 G5) few days ago and it came without system on it so I tried to install Windows 10 from bootable DVD. I have both UEFI and Legacy modes enabled in BIOS. When I try to boot from my Interna CD/DVD ROM Drive i just get some yellow screen...
  10. Windows 10 cant be installed on GPT - Cant boot dvd in UEFI mode

Windows 10 cant be installed on GPT - Cant boot dvd in UEFI mode: Hello Guys, recently i purchased a new laptop that came with win10. The laptop is Lenovo z50-70 Unfortunately my brother managed to download so many viruses, that I decided to do clean Win 10 install. I had no important data on the laptop and I thought it would be...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. uefi oprom windows 10 install dvd