Windows 10: Booting a Windows VM from Real physical disc or a physical EXT USB

Discus and support Booting a Windows VM from Real physical disc or a physical EXT USB in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi folks Not sure if this works on HYPER-V but using KVM/QEMU you can boot a Windows VM from a real physical HDD or a Windows to Go stored on an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Aug 4, 2020.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Booting a Windows VM from Real physical disc or a physical EXT USB

Hi folks
    Not sure if this works on HYPER-V but using KVM/QEMU you can boot a Windows VM from a real physical HDD or a Windows to Go stored on an external USB.

This means that you can say backup an image of your REAL Windows system and then attach the disk to the VM and then set it as the boot device

Most of the drivers should be fine !!! and you should be able to get as near native speed as makes no difference -- the main problem I'd imagine for users here is the graphics as a lot here won't have a spare graphics port (separate graphics outlet - not simply "dual monitor support" from one card). However you can still paravirtualize the graphics -- you'll need to install the appropriate graphics driver -- the one to use is from the REDHAT / FEDORA Win virtio iso --works on other distros such as ubuntu / debian / arch linux etc.

Those without dual NIC's can also share the single NIC for networking.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Aug 4, 2020
  2. jimbo45 Win User

Hi folks
    Not sure if this works on HYPER-V but using KVM/QEMU you can boot a Windows VM from a real physical HDD or a Windows to Go stored on an external USB.

This means that you can say backup an image of your REAL Windows system and then attach the disk to the VM and then set it as the boot device

Most of the drivers should be fine !!! and you should be able to get as near native speed as makes no difference -- the main problem I'd imagine for users here is the graphics as a lot here won't have a spare graphics port (separate graphics outlet - not simply "dual monitor support" from one card). However you can still paravirtualize the graphics -- you'll need to install the appropriate graphics driver -- the one to use is from the REDHAT / FEDORA Win virtio iso --works on other distros such as ubuntu / debian / arch linux etc.

Those without dual NIC's can also share the single NIC for networking.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 4, 2020
  3. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there
    great tutorial and it works !!! but of course the two problems I have with this

1) you aren´t using Native I/O for the Vitrual machines I/O
    2) remote connection to a HYPER-V type VM is still via RDP which is HIDEOUS

However you can IMO get better throughput (and better mouse etc control) is to connect to a VM created with HYPER-V from a Linux machine and use something like rdesktop or krdc -- seems to be a lot snappier !!!

Another problem with HYPER-V VM's is that dynamic re-direction of USB devices doesn't work very well (if at all) and booting from actual physical devices --well it seems they will boot from an iso file but not for example if you want to plug a physical usb in -so doing a macrium restore is hard --you can't dynamically attach (re-direct) say another HDD where the image is on after you've bought up the VM.

What I'm trying to do is to make the VM almost indistinguishable performance wise from the "Native" system -- I'm about 95% there !!! --using Free OS's and VM software. I don't need to try and mess around with ESXI --trying to run away as fast as possible from VMWare as it always seems to break after every major Linux or Windows update (and please pay xxxx to get the next VMWare release ) !!. I'm getting too old to continue to keep playing that type of game.

KVM actually is a really good HYPERVISOR since once the VM is up it really doesn't use a lot of overhead from the HOST OS (provided you avoid the paravirtualisation stuff and pass thru as much hardware as possible) -- and things like Windows VM's etc can be installed on servers which don't even have an OS GUI --just CLI so you access the VM's remotely via a laptop etc.

These days with fast connections even a HOME LAN should provide a 1Gb/s connection --fast enough for any Windows system logged on to via another machine.

KVM stands for Kernel Virtual Machine -- and since Linux kernels are quite small the OS overhead of these hypervisors is fairly minimal !!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 4, 2020
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there
    another OK solution - but using any sort of "Non native" file system / I/O will decrease the performance of the VM -- the idea is to get the VM to perform as near possible to Native speed -- having VHD/VHDX files means that essentially the I/O algorithms take longer to execute because you have to map the vhd/vhdx structure to the OS underlying file system .

Assuming enough RAM in the system the biggest bottleneck to Virtual Machines is within the Disk I/O subsystem -- actually most consumer grade computers suffer from poorish Disks as well !!

Commercial servers Virtualize cloud and other servers by using things like SAS- Fibre etc for extremely fast I/O -- for a lot of servers --themselves running as Virtual machines - graphics isn't an issue as that can be done on the remote clients.

At a consumer level Disks are still the most important part -- get those right and the rest will usually follow. __Most CPU's on home computers these days are perfectly capable of running certainly up to 3 VM's concurrently - depending on your RAM availbility they could run more.

Remotely accessing the VM (even on a LAN) with a machine with good graphics will yield an even better performance --assuming your LAN is nice and fast --Graphics in my laptop is far superior to that on the HOST SERVER and so I use krdc to access the Windows VM on my main server.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 4, 2020
Thema:

1. Booting a Windows VM from Real physical disc or a physical EXT USB - Similar Threads - Booting Real physical

2. Trouble activating Windows 10, after going from VM to Physical SSD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Trouble activating Windows 10, after going from VM to Physical SSD: For some time I have kept a registered copy of Windows 10 under VMWare Player in Linux, for a handful of Windows programs I needed, such as Daz Studio, and recently decided I didn't want to deal with the hassle of slowdowns and crashes and unstable behavior associated with...
  3. Trouble activating Windows 10, after going from VM to Physical SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trouble activating Windows 10, after going from VM to Physical SSD: For some time I have kept a registered copy of Windows 10 under VMWare Player in Linux, for a handful of Windows programs I needed, such as Daz Studio, and recently decided I didn't want to deal with the hassle of slowdowns and crashes and unstable behavior associated with...
  4. Trouble activating Windows 10, after going from VM to Physical SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Using Physical Disk in KVM/QEMU Windows VM

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Using Physical Disk in KVM/QEMU Windows VM: Hi there If you have a spare external (or even internal) HDD / SSD that you want to use as a "Physical" Disk drive say on a Windows VM using native ntfs for exampleso you can unplug it later and connect to a Windows physical machine etc to copy data etc then it's easy enough...
  6. Physical Windows 2 Go USB as a VM via USB redirection

Physical Windows 2 Go USB as a VM via USB redirection: Hi folks Thanks @NavyLCDR for supplying a Free method for getting a Windows system to work perfectly as a USB device. In KVM you can use the USB as a physical USB and boot from it - so You've got essentially a "Clone" of your Windows system with all the Native Windows...
  7. Use my physical/real license to activate VM on same device.

Use my physical/real license to activate VM on same device.: Hello, My Windows is activated by a digital license. On that PC I have setup a dual boot with linux. Sometimes, when on linux, I need to use Windows, but would prefer not to have to boot into windows and use a Win10 virtual machine instead. So I installed Win10 same...
  8. Esxi users -- using RAW (physical ) disks in VM's

Esxi users -- using RAW (physical ) disks in VM's: Hi folks those of you who are trying / using Esxi then it;s possible to pass thru (or attach) physical RAW disks to your VM's - so you can attach existing Windows (NTFS) or Linux formatted disks and also RAID configured arrays as RAW disks. For software RAID attach the...
  9. Windows 10 VM image to physical host machine

Windows 10 VM image to physical host machine: I have a copy of windows 10 pro on my host machine. I'm planning on getting a larger hard drive for my PC and I'm taking this opportunity to do a fresh install of windows 10. My plan is to run a copy of windows 10 pro in a VM and set it up the way I want with the programs...
  10. Create VM from physical machine

Create VM from physical machine: My machine has a non-clean install of win 10, which I have been using for months. I would like to do a clean install of windows 10, but I don't want to be down for days getting everything setup. So I figured I would run it in a VM on the newly installed OS while I set things...