Windows 10: Booting and repair issues

Discus and support Booting and repair issues in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, I have been unable to boot to my Windows 10 desktop since yesterday. I outline when/how it happened as well most of the things I've tried... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by G.Esparza, Aug 14, 2018.

1. G.Esparza Win User

Booting and repair issues

Hello,

I have been unable to boot to my Windows 10 desktop since yesterday. I outline when/how it happened as well most of the things I've tried below.

I put my computer to sleep, all was normal, and when I tried to wake it up the system got stuck on startup at the Windows logo, with the spinning circle of dots. This has happened before, but is usually fixed by unplugging my USB devices, no such luck this time.

I understand that you are supposed to be able to boot to "Advanced boot options" by I performing several hard resets, but this has not worked for me at all. Instead it sometimes boots to "Preparing Automatic Repair." It stays at that screen (with the logo, the spinning circle of dots, and the "Preparing Automatic Repair) for some number of seconds before flashing a black screen with a large white rectangular frame, and then going black.

I used my laptop and the MediaCreationTool to create installation media on a flash drive (the flash drive was slightly below the requested 8 GB, at about 7.5 GB, though the creation tool stated it was successful). I have successfully used this drive to access the advanced boot options on the desktop but seemingly none of them work. I've outline what happens when I attempted each, below:

------ Startup Repair -------

"Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC

Press "Advanced options" to try other options to repair your PC or "Shut down" to turn off your PC.

Log file:"

------ Go back to previous version ------

"We ran into a problem and won't be able to take you back to the previous version of Windows. Try resetting your PC instead (Troubleshoot > Reset this PC)."

It's worth noting that "Reset this PC" is not actually listed as one of my options in "Troubleshoot"

------System Restore ------

"To use System Restore, you must specify which windows installation to restore.

Restart this computer, select and operating system, and then select System Restore."

Not really sure what to make of this, I only have one version of Windows installed on this computer and the only thing I've been able to boot to are the BIOS and the Advanced boot options using the installation media.

------ Command prompt -------

The first text that appears on the command prompt is

"Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17134.112]

Not enough memory resources are available to process this command

X:\Source>"

Then using the command

"sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows"

yields

"Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service"

-------------------------

Finally, "System Image Recovery" and "UEFI Firmware Settings" are the only other two other options available to me in "Troubleshoot" but I don't have a System Image and I don't know what Firmware settings to change that might fix this issue.

Thankfully, my most important files are backed up, so I would be OK to do a full reinstall, but I'd really rather save myself the headache of reinstalling all my drivers and programs, so if anyone has any advice on how I might proceed I would really appreciated it.

Thank you,

GE

:)

G.Esparza, Aug 14, 2018
  2. Johan45 Win User

AMD FX OC'ers Club

That's what the auto setting will do since you're over the 1333 mark it jumps to the next step which isn't listed or officially supported I assume by that ram.

At this point though I would suggest dropping the multi one step or .5 so that we can get something stable and possibly take the heat issue out of the picture for now.

Johan45, Aug 14, 2018
  3. windows will not boot up and says its going to repair

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

If you are unable to boot to the computer then I would suggest you to create installation media and then try to perform automatic repair and see if it helps you to fix the issue.

Step 1: Create ISO for Windows 10

You may also refer to the article mentioned below to for downloading Windows 10 on your computer.

Download Windows 10

Step 2: Perform an Automatic repair

The Automatic repair can detect and fix the issues that prevent the computer from working normally.

After you have a Windows 10 installation disc/USB, follow these steps:

• When your computer starts, wait for the manufacturer logo to check the option for boot menu, it will usually be F12.
    • The boot menu key might differ with each manufacturer. If you are unable to find the boot menu key, you may refer the user manual.
    • Restart the computer, when the manufacturer's logo is displayed, keep pressing the Boot menu option key to enter the boot menu and change the boot option to CD\DVD ROM
      (in case you create DVD). Select USB in case you create USB.
    • After you boot your computer using Windows DVD or System Repair Disc, a black screen appears with gray text "Press
      any key to boot from CD or DVD
      ". Press any key.
    • Select the correct time and Keyboard type.
    • Click Repair your computer in the lower left corner.
    • Click on Troubleshooting, advanced option and
      then click Startup Repair.

Hope this would help. If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of the proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Aug 14, 2018
  4. Booting and repair issues

HELP! Windows 10 automatic repair couldn't repair PC. Details below

Hi Matthew,

As you are facing issue withAutomatic Repair, we would assist you for sure.

In order to understand the issue in a better manner, please share the following details

• I tried system restore” What is the error exact error message you received?

If automatic repair fails, you may try to repair them using these commands through Command Prompt under Advanced Options. Follow the steps:

Since you have done most of the troubleshooting steps, I would suggest you to try repairing the Boot Configuration Data through the command prompt by following the steps below and check if it helps.

I suggest you re-built the boot record by following the below commands and check if it helps.

You will have to use Windows 10 installation media to follow the steps to boot into Recovery Environment and try to rebuild BCD.

Step 1: I suggest you to create an installation media for
    Windows 10 using the media creation tool:

Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool

Step 2: After preparing the installation media, insert it hard reboot the device and follow the below:

• Boot into Windows Recovery Environment using the Windows 10 installation media.
    • Click on Repair your computer.
    • Click on Troubleshoot and in the advanced options.
    • Select Command Prompt. Type the following commands into the prompt and press Enter key after each command.

• bootrec /fixmbr

• bootrec /fixboot

• bootrec /scanos

• bootrec /rebuildbcd
    5. Restart the computer.

NOTE: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting
    from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Thank you.

Vidyashree_C, Aug 14, 2018
Thema:

Booting and repair issues

1. Booting and repair issues - Similar Threads - Booting repair issues

2. repair boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    repair boot: okay so if i try to repair boot my windows because it is stuck on automatic repair screen will it delete my apps please help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/repair-boot/35caa923-b2ee-421a-9191-df6329ba92f0
  3. repair boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    repair boot: okay so if i try to repair boot my windows because it is stuck on automatic repair screen will it delete my apps please help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/repair-boot/35caa923-b2ee-421a-9191-df6329ba92f0
  4. repair boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Boot Issue, Start-Up Repair Fixes Temporarily

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Boot Issue, Start-Up Repair Fixes Temporarily: Hello, I have a Dell Precision 3430. I am installing Win 10 Pro via USB and, while the installation is successful, the OS fails to load upon rebooting. Re-inserting the install USB and performing startup repair is successful, and I can get to the desktop. But, upon...
  6. Scanning and Repairing at boot and 100% DISK USAGE. are these connected issues?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Scanning and Repairing at boot and 100% DISK USAGE. are these connected issues?: It has been 3 weeks since started experiencing this. I can't remember if it's caused by certain changes Scan and Repair: Every time I boot my PC it will always SCAN and REPAIRIt will appear like this " scanning and repairing drive (\\?Volume...
  7. Boot Issue Repair via another PC?

Boot Issue Repair via another PC?: I have a BSOD "unmountable boot" and when I try to boot a Windows media USB, it won't boot it, it goes black and freezes. Media boot loads if HDD is removed. I assume then either 1, the boot files are corrupt, making all booting fail or 2, the HDD has failed. Is there any...
  8. boot loop repair

boot loop repair: Hi, I'm so happy to use this product. However, I have issues. My laptop is a Dell running Windows 10. One day I couldn't get online, and tried diagnostics and repair. Since that didn't work, the computer now boot loops to repair when turned on. It says..Preparing...
  9. Repair Boot Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Repair Boot Drive: My computer was setup using 2 HDD and EasyBCD boot menu. That file seems to have become corrupt or damaged as I am getting a message; Reboot and Select Boot Drive or insert boot media in selected drive and press a key. I have followed Windows Repair Boot Drive instructions...
  10. Repair boot loop

in Windows 10 Support
    Repair boot loop: Hell guys can someone please help me. Yesterday while i was trying to on my laptop it was stuck on lenovo boot and redirects me to your pc didnt start properly and gives me an option to system restore, command prompt, startup repair, reset pc. I have tried all the possible...