Windows 10: Booting between 2 installs of Windows 10 on 2 SSD drives.

Discus and support Booting between 2 installs of Windows 10 on 2 SSD drives. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I decided to install Windows 10 on a 2nd hard drive so I could boot between 2 separate installs. So I went ahead and installed Windows 10 on a 2nd SSD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Adralicus, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Adralicus Win User

Booting between 2 installs of Windows 10 on 2 SSD drives.

I decided to install Windows 10 on a 2nd hard drive so I could boot between 2 separate installs. So I went ahead and installed Windows 10 on a 2nd SSD drive. Initially I got an error trying to install it but I solved it by disconnecting all the other hard drives. I then reconnected them after the install.

The problem I'm having is I am unable to set up a dual boot screen in the System > Advanced system settings > Startup and recovery dialogue. It is showing only one version of Windows 10 so I can't choose between the 2 versions. Currently the only way I can boot between the 2 installs of Windows 10 is from the BIOS. Have done various searches but none of them relate specifically to using two versions of Windows 10 on separate hard drives. Any help would be much appreciated.

Booting between 2 installs of Windows 10 on 2 SSD drives. d0d1ba0b-92de-4740-bd9d-3e0c177af213?upload=true.jpg

:)

Adralicus, Jan 29, 2019

2. Boot problem with windows 10 and 3 drives - regular and 2 ssd

My problem is really strange. I have a 1Tb drive and I added 1SSD and installed windows. Then later I decided to add a second SSD which was bigger and I reinstall windows on that one. I know, not very
    typical.

Now, when booting the bios sees either (1) the old drive with the first SSD or (2) only the second SSD though when booted windows sees all the drives.

The problem is that when restart is chosen (updates or for software installs) it failed and I get the repair screen. I believe it is because the wrong bios files is used (1) instead of (2).

If I turn off the computer then and start it again then I get 2 options -

• Windows 10 (it starts OK) or
    • windows manager (where is fails).
    Any solutions for that?

Is it possible to update the MBr or the UEFI so it sees the correct drives or even ALL the drives and start with the correct drive and boots properly without having to turn off the computer.

Note: if in windows updates, the updates resumes even if the computer was turned off.

EdgeDudette, Jan 29, 2019
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Dual Booting 2 x Windows 10 OS Drives (Existing Installs)

It is uneccessary to do all of the above.
    1. Boot up Windows 10
    2. Open Disk Management and take a note of the drive letter of the other Windows 10
    3. Open Admin Command Prompt and type: bcdboot X:\Windows where X is the drive letter noted in step 2
    4. Reboot, you should have a dual boot menu.

topgundcp, Jan 29, 2019
  4. itsakjt Win User

Dual Boot Over 2 Hard drives Advice Please.

Steps
    1>Disconnect HDD and install Win 8.1 to SSD
    2>Disconnect SSD and install Win 7 to HDD
    3>Connect both drives, go to BIOS and select the SSD as primary boot device
    4>You should be able to boot to Win 8.1
    5>Download Easy BCD and add the Win 7 entry by selecting the proper partition of the HDD.

Should be a piece of cake. *Wink Booting between 2 installs of Windows 10 on 2 SSD drives. ;)

itsakjt, Jan 29, 2019
Thema:

1. Booting between 2 installs of Windows 10 on 2 SSD drives. - Similar Threads - Booting between installs

2. Unable to Boot to SSD drive, goes to M.2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to Boot to SSD drive, goes to M.2: I bought a new to me desktop PC. I replaced the HDD it had with my old computer's SSD, which has my expected windows 10 image.The PC was wiped clean before I bought it and I guess is booting to a Windows 11 M.2.I went to startup options and don't see my SSD as an option to...
  3. Unable to Boot to SSD drive, goes to M.2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to Boot to SSD drive, goes to M.2: I bought a new to me desktop PC. I replaced the HDD it had with my old computer's SSD, which has my expected windows 10 image.The PC was wiped clean before I bought it and I guess is booting to a Windows 11 M.2.I went to startup options and don't see my SSD as an option to...
  4. Install windows 10 on 2 ssd and be able to boot independently

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Install windows 10 on 2 ssd and be able to boot independently: I have 2 ssd’s that I would like to install windows 10 pro on and boot independently, same computer, with only one ssd plugged in at a time. I successfully installed windows 10 pro on the first ssd and it works great .After, I unplugged the first ssd and plugged in the second...
  5. Install windows 10 on 2 ssd and be able to boot independently

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Install windows 10 on 2 ssd and be able to boot independently: I have 2 ssd’s that I would like to install windows 10 pro on and boot independently, same computer, with only one ssd plugged in at a time. I successfully installed windows 10 pro on the first ssd and it works great .After, I unplugged the first ssd and plugged in the second...
  6. Install windows 10 on 2 ssd and be able to boot independently

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Replacing a M.2 SSD boot drive card

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Replacing a M.2 SSD boot drive card: Running Win 10 version 21H1 My rig has a 500 Mb M.2 SSD card as boot (C:\). Troubling Chkdsk runs have caused me to distrust the current card. A replacement M.2 card should arrive in a couple of days and my confidence in myself to successfully swap the cards is limited as I...
  8. Replacing a M.2 SSD boot drive card

in Windows 10 Support
    Replacing a M.2 SSD boot drive card: Running Win 10 version 21H1 My rig has a 500 Mb M.2 SSD card as boot (C:\). Troubling Chkdsk runs have caused me to distrust the current card. A replacement M.2 card should arrive in a couple of days and my confidence in myself to successfully swap the cards is limited as I...
  9. Windows 10 SSD shared between 2 PC's

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 SSD shared between 2 PC's: Hi, I have a laptop and a HP Desktop with GPU and gaming performance, but only one Drive (SSD), I was wondering if there's someway to easily use my Laptop's SSD with Windows 10 Pro into my HP Desktop, for example: I normally use my Dell Latitude laptop to do everything, and...
  10. Move Boot drive between 2 identical computers.

in Windows 10 Support
    Move Boot drive between 2 identical computers.: In the near future I may have to spend many months in a row at 2 different locations (let's say about 8 months in Asia and 4 months in Europe) for many years to come. As I don't want a notebook, I was considering building 2 identical computers at the 2 locations and just...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows on two ssd

2. boot windows 10 on 2 ssd

3. windows 10 booting on 2 volumesasking

4. booting two windows on two ssds