Windows 10: booting from cd/dvd to install win 10 os UEFI

Discus and support booting from cd/dvd to install win 10 os UEFI in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; HI guys, wondering if i can get a little help of what im doing wrong So, ive had my windows 10 pro dvd that i had burnt for a few years now, and has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by horze, Jun 29, 2020.

1. horze Win User

booting from cd/dvd to install win 10 os UEFI

HI guys,
    wondering if i can get a little help of what im doing wrong

So, ive had my windows 10 pro dvd that i had burnt for a few years now, and has always worked fine on booting up in legacy mode to install win 10.

So my HTPC was still on win 7, and getting a new 3 tb hard drive for it, ive decided nows a good time to put win 10 on it.
    However this time i want to install in UEFI mode which will be the first time for me.
    My boot options have been preset in bios to EFI ATAPI DVD ROM, EFI USB, LEGACY SATA 0 HDD, LEGACY ATAPI DVD ROM, LEGACY USB STICK

My issue is, when i select boot override , UEFI ATAPI DVD ROM doesnt come up on the list as if the dvd i have isnt bootable, neither does EUFI USB

So with ultra iso, i made an iso file from the dvd i had, downloaded Rufus, and made a bootable usb flash drive using the iso i just made and options in rufus,rufus transferred this to my usb stick.

Tried that, and now the options to boot from EUFI USB come up and OS istall started up and installed in EUFI mode

Thats all and well
    But why didnt my dvdrom show up in EUFI mode?
    Does a bootable disc/flash drive have different boot files for either MBR or EUFI? I noticed rufus has alot of bootable options, maybe they are to do with legacy and EUFI boot?

I know DVDs are almost a thing of the past, however i do prefer them over a flash drive for os install.
    Any advice why im doing wrong?
    Thankyou for the help in advance

:)

horze, Jun 29, 2020
  2. horze Win User

HI guys,
    wondering if i can get a little help of what im doing wrong

So, ive had my windows 10 pro dvd that i had burnt for a few years now, and has always worked fine on booting up in legacy mode to install win 10.

So my HTPC was still on win 7, and getting a new 3 tb hard drive for it, ive decided nows a good time to put win 10 on it.
    However this time i want to install in UEFI mode which will be the first time for me.
    My boot options have been preset in bios to EFI ATAPI DVD ROM, EFI USB, LEGACY SATA 0 HDD, LEGACY ATAPI DVD ROM, LEGACY USB STICK

My issue is, when i select boot override , UEFI ATAPI DVD ROM doesnt come up on the list as if the dvd i have isnt bootable, neither does EUFI USB

So with ultra iso, i made an iso file from the dvd i had, downloaded Rufus, and made a bootable usb flash drive using the iso i just made and options in rufus,rufus transferred this to my usb stick.

Tried that, and now the options to boot from EUFI USB come up and OS istall started up and installed in EUFI mode

Thats all and well
    But why didnt my dvdrom show up in EUFI mode?
    Does a bootable disc/flash drive have different boot files for either MBR or EUFI? I noticed rufus has alot of bootable options, maybe they are to do with legacy and EUFI boot?

I know DVDs are almost a thing of the past, however i do prefer them over a flash drive for os install.
    Any advice why im doing wrong?
    Thankyou for the help in advance

horze, Jun 29, 2020
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Booting from WinPE CD/DVD Whilst in UEFI Mode

Here's what you missed. Windows Boot Manager has nothing to do with booting the CD/DVD. It only uses to boot the HD/SSD containing Windows. For example: If you have 2 Windows Installed on 2 separate HD/SSD, You'd have 2 Windows Boot Managers listed in the BIOS and you must set the correct boot order of "Windows Boot Manager" to boot into the version that you want. Here's the screen shots:

Boot order is set to: UEFI CD/DVD: UEFI-TssTCorp....... tells BIOS to look for CD/DVD First and boot mode is UEFI.

booting from cd/dvd to install win 10 os UEFI [​IMG]

Boot Priority is also set to: UEFI CD/DVD: UEFI-TssTCorp .... Tells BIOS to boot from this CD/DVD
    NOTE: There's only one CD/DVD in my PC so there's only one entry. But if I have multiple CD/DVD's then I have to select which CD/DVD to boot from

topgundcp, Jun 29, 2020
  4. topgundcp Win User

Booting from WinPE CD/DVD Whilst in UEFI Mode

Every bootable CD/DVD has a boot sector file with an extension .bif. This file must exist in the boot sector of the CD/DVD.
    The best program to use to make a bootable CD/DVD is: PortableAppZ: UltraISO 9.7.0.3476 Multilingual
    Just run and save it to desktop.

Below is the screen which I open the Macrium Rescue disk ISO.
    1. Indicates the CD/DVD will be bootable. If not then you must extract a .bif file from another bootable CD/DVD then load it before burning.
    2. The content of the ISO will be burnt to CD/DVD
    3. Before burning the CD/DVD. You have the choice to add extra file(s)/folder if needed. Just drag from the bottom Window and Drop to top Window.

The link that KYHI gave you above works perfectly so I think it is your settings in the BIOS. 2 options need to be set:

1. Boot order must be set to point to the CD/DVD
    2. Boot Priority also.
    OR: Hit <F12> to accress boot menu for one time boot then you would not have to mess around with BIOS Settings.

Again, same as for USB Stick. From boot menu, there are 2 entries for the CD/DVD: one prefix with UEFI and one without. Since you have the boot mode set to: UEFI + Legacy, booting from either will work.
    CAUTION: pay close attension to the screen, you might be asked to hit any key to boot from CD/DVD. If you miss, it will boot straight to Windows.

From your other thread:
    Just so you know. Your MB option for CSM (enable/disable Secure boot) in under Windows 8 Feature option. In order to see it, you'd have to enable this option, the default is set to other OS. However, to enable this option, you would need a graphic Card that support this feature, so just leave it to default setting. I have MSI Mother board and it uses almost the same BIOS options as yours. Best not to ask any body because their PC is different from yours, just look in the Manual for the info.

topgundcp, Jun 29, 2020
Thema:

1. booting from cd/dvd to install win 10 os UEFI - Similar Threads - booting dvd install

2. Boot from CD Win 10

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Boot from CD Win 10: I have a laptop where the user has forgotten the password. I would normally just reload 10 and set up a new account since there is no critical data on the drive. However, this Lenovo does not boot from the CD even after changing the it from UEFI an allowing legacy boot up. I...
  3. booting from cd/dvd to install win 10 os UEFI

in Windows 10 Support
    booting from cd/dvd to install win 10 os UEFI: HI guys, wondering if i can get a little help of what im doing wrong So, ive had my windows 10 pro dvd that i had burnt for a few years now, and has always worked fine on booting up in legacy mode to install win 10. So my HTPC was still on win 7, and getting a new 3 tb hard...
  4. DVD/CD not found Win 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DVD/CD not found Win 10: After installing anew HD and 10 on a HP all in one there is no DVD/CD found.I followed some guidlines for Hardware Diagnostics test but that was for checking the Hard Drive. Never found the DVD test. Uninstalling ATAPI in device mgr w/reboot won't work cause it aint there...
  5. DVD/CD not found Win 10

in Windows 10 Support
    DVD/CD not found Win 10: After installing anew HD and 10 on a HP all in one there is no DVD/CD found.I followed some guidlines for Hardware Diagnostics test but that was for checking the Hard Drive. Never found the DVD test. Uninstalling ATAPI in device mgr w/reboot won't work cause it aint there...
  6. Booting From DVD with Win 10 & UEFI

in Windows 10 Support
    Booting From DVD with Win 10 & UEFI: Hello, I tried to add a DVD to boot sequence but I couldn't find an option for this. I tried Dell's recommendation but they indicate that hardware might not be recognized by the system. I did use the DVD to install Win 10 initially, but it doesn't show up. Can someone explain...
  7. Boot from CD/DVD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Boot from CD/DVD: I need to run the gparted (Linux app) booting from the CDROM. Now I do not find the option for booting from CD/DVD in windows 10 any more. I have done it before, but it seems to have disappeared in Windows 10. Any Ideas? 59956
  8. Booting from WinPE CD/DVD Whilst in UEFI Mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Booting from WinPE CD/DVD Whilst in UEFI Mode: Hi I have a system recently converted to UEFI using MBR2GPT. Today I created a bootable DVD using Kyhi's Recovery Tools ISO and want to run it up to find out exactly what I've got and how it works. Snag is I can't boot up from CD or DVD - my system just hangs. I've done...
  9. booting up the win 10 install from a dvd?

booting up the win 10 install from a dvd?: Background: At present in windows 7 trying to convert to win 10. I lost control of my main computer! Whether it was the cat wandering all over the keyboard while I was temporarily out of the room or it was something I did. I returned to find the computer locked up with...
  10. Booting a Win 10 DVD in UEFi Mode for Windows installation

Booting a Win 10 DVD in UEFi Mode for Windows installation: How do I set my BIOS to have the DVD boot and install Windows 10 in UEFI mode? I do see a setting on my Asus motherboard UEFI "CSM Compatability" and in there are three options: UEFI and Legacy OPROM Legacy OPROM only UEFI only Do I select UEFI only option here? What...