Windows 10: Booting From DVD with Win 10 & UEFI

Discus and support Booting From DVD with Win 10 & UEFI in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I tried to add a DVD to boot sequence but I couldn't find an option for this. I tried Dell's recommendation but they indicate that hardware... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JimG999, Jul 6, 2019.

1. JimG999 Win User

Booting From DVD with Win 10 & UEFI

Hello, I tried to add a DVD to boot sequence but I couldn't find an option for this. I tried Dell's recommendation but they indicate that hardware might not be recognized by the system. I did use the DVD to install Win 10 initially, but it doesn't show up. Can someone explain how to add a DVD to boot sequence for a Dell Inspiron 15 using Win 10 with UEFI or Legacy if that is an option? Thanks

:)

JimG999, Jul 6, 2019
  2. DVK
    DVK Win User

How can I boot into Windows 10 DVD from UEFI?

I have a laptop which has a weird boot issue (the issue is - hopefully - not relevant to this question; and I'll post a Q about it later; but in short, on boot, it goes into Windows Boot Menu with 4 different Windows installations listed, any one of the 4 leads to "installation failed".

When I tried to boot the laptop (Gateway NE 522) with bootable Windows 10 install DVD; it never booted into DVD - instead, it showed "Boot Manager" with only HDD "Windows Boot Manager" as an option, when in UEFI mode (the image isn't of my screen but my screen looks nearly identical except for HDD name being different).

Booting From DVD with Win 10 & UEFI d41SJm.jpg

Troubleshooting steps taken:

• I went into BIOS setup and ensured that under UEFI mode, DVD-ROM was the first drive in boot order. No effect.
    • However, when I switched from UEFI to Legacy mode, DVD booted without any issue (that didn't help me, since none of recovery options worked; and installing Windows on the correct partition failed since it was GBR partition).

How can I allow booting into my DVD from UEFI mode?

3. gupsterg Win User
    UEFI vs Legacy boot mode

Yep, UEFI mode with Win 10 loading I get the Asus logo.

IIRC there maybe an option within motherboard UEFI to disable the Asus logo but not looked into it. On another forum I have read that what logo you get at Win 10 loading is the easiest way to know what bios mode OS is in.

If system is booting in legacy mode - you get Windows Logo.
    If system is booting in UEFI mode - you get OEM logo.

Above also applies to Win 8 but not Win 7.

gupsterg, Jul 6, 2019
  4. astrakan Win User

Win 10 booting not that fast

Thanks for that ! My Win 10 is installed in UEFI mode on a gpt SSD.
    Searching a bit more I found this : How Can I Configure Windows 8 Ultra-Fast Boot UEFI GOP?
    So : no gop compatible graphic card = no fast boot
    This explains why my laptop is faster: it is from june 2015 and my graphic card from 2012 ...
    Will try to find a custom vbios for my GC.

astrakan, Jul 6, 2019
Thema:

1. Booting From DVD with Win 10 & UEFI - Similar Threads - Booting DVD UEFI

2. Win 10 Usb UEFI Boot Problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 Usb UEFI Boot Problem: Hello, first of all I never experience this problem in my life. This is the first time and I tried a lot of things but still doesn't work. Let me explain my stiation here. I created Windows 10 USB installer with Windows Creation Tool. Then I restart my computer, click the...
  3. WIN 10 recovery/boot dvd

WIN 10 recovery/boot dvd: I have installed win10 from my official MS Win 10 thumb drive dvd onto my pc. This is an older pc that will not boot from a usb only from a hard drive or dvd. I therefore had to install win 10 by booting the PC from its original op sys, WIN7 on an internal C; hard drive...
  4. booting from cd/dvd to install win 10 os UEFI

booting from cd/dvd to install win 10 os UEFI: HI guys, wondering if i can get a little help of what im doing wrong So, ive had my windows 10 pro dvd that i had burnt for a few years now, and has always worked fine on booting up in legacy mode to install win 10. So my HTPC was still on win 7, and getting a new 3 tb hard...
  5. booting from cd/dvd to install win 10 os UEFI

in Windows 10 Support
    booting from cd/dvd to install win 10 os UEFI: HI guys, wondering if i can get a little help of what im doing wrong So, ive had my windows 10 pro dvd that i had burnt for a few years now, and has always worked fine on booting up in legacy mode to install win 10. So my HTPC was still on win 7, and getting a new 3 tb hard...
  6. Cannot boot from USB or DVD and cannot access UEFI

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot boot from USB or DVD and cannot access UEFI: HP HP Pavilion Desktop PC 570-pOXX. Windows 10 Home (X64) Version 1703 (build 15063.540) I've already posted about the usb part Will Win 10 pc boot from usb? - Windows 10 Forums but I'd like to expand the scope. In brief, no combination of key presses at bootup will...
  7. UEFI laptop, booting from DVD or USB fails

UEFI laptop, booting from DVD or USB fails: Hi On this new laptop which appears to have UEFI and Legacy BIOS settings, setting UEFI settings to boot from DVD or USB first in order to run a bootable format disc to preformat before a clean install has thrown an error message that ..."boot from [xx device] failed."...
  8. Booting from WinPE CD/DVD Whilst in UEFI Mode

Booting from WinPE CD/DVD Whilst in UEFI Mode: Hi I have a system recently converted to UEFI using MBR2GPT. Today I created a bootable DVD using Kyhi's Recovery Tools ISO and want to run it up to find out exactly what I've got and how it works. Snag is I can't boot up from CD or DVD - my system just hangs. I've done...
  9. booting up the win 10 install from a dvd?

booting up the win 10 install from a dvd?: Background: At present in windows 7 trying to convert to win 10. I lost control of my main computer! Whether it was the cat wandering all over the keyboard while I was temporarily out of the room or it was something I did. I returned to find the computer locked up with...
  10. Booting a Win 10 DVD in UEFi Mode for Windows installation

Booting a Win 10 DVD in UEFi Mode for Windows installation: How do I set my BIOS to have the DVD boot and install Windows 10 in UEFI mode? I do see a setting on my Asus motherboard UEFI "CSM Compatability" and in there are three options: UEFI and Legacy OPROM Legacy OPROM only UEFI only Do I select UEFI only option here? What...