Windows 10: Booting from Macrium Free clone…

Discus and support Booting from Macrium Free clone… in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I joined this forum it became obvious that Macrium was the software of choice for backing up so I have installed it and am doing my best to get it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by taid, Dec 27, 2018.

1. taid Win User

Booting from Macrium Free clone…

When I joined this forum it became obvious that Macrium was the software of choice for backing up so I have installed it and am doing my best to get it to run. Now what I want to do initially is to make a bootable clone.

From the MF User Guide …
    I click on ‘clone this disk’
    I click on ‘select a disc to clone to’
    I click ‘next’
    Then I get an error message –
    ‘Not all copied. Insufficient space’
    Now I know that my destination disk is a bit smaller than my source disk BUT the amount of data to be cloned from the source disk is considerably less than the room on the destination disk so why does it give this error ?
    However if I drag and drop the four partitions down from the source disk to the destination disk THEN click on next it appears to work. The source disc (a HK Hynix SSD) has 4 partitions and a report at the end of the operation tells me that each has been cloned successfully to the destination disc (an ADATA SSD) so I assume that everything is ok.

When I start my DELL Optiplex in one time boot (F12) I get the choice of booting to the Windows Boot Manager or the ADATA SU650 (my cloned SSD). Selecting the ADATA the computer takes a little longer to boot BUT invariably boots to the SK Hynix, i.e. the original system disc and not from the cloned disc. Now I notice that there is a paragraph In the MF User Guide which reads :-

“ Windows cannot boot from a USB connected drive. This is a restriction imposed by Windows. If you clone your system disk to a USB connected external drive then, to boot your clone, the physical disk must be removed from the USB caddy and attached to your Motherboard SATA port”

However I have read on lots of forums that ít IS possible to boot from a cloned drive, why am I having problems ?

The cloned drive is externally mounted in a small caddy connected to one of the USB3 ports on the Optiplex. Incidentally the cloning takes just under 30 minutes.

:)

2. jimbo45 Win User

SSD not booting Windows 10 after cloning from HDD.

Hi there

Ok copying has failed so now try the Imaging method - OK it's an extra step but I've always found it works.

Create a bootable Free Macrium USB and boot from it to create the image and restore. Use Rufus to create a bootable USB from the ISO.

People often suggest cloning - but I've found in spite of the extra work Imaging always works.

Do include the windows reserved system partition in the image and ensure the boot partition is active.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Dec 27, 2018
  3. Cloned Upgrade SSD does not boot in Windows 10

I recently cloned a GPT hard disk with Macrium Reflect like so:

1. Create an image of the whole disk (i.e. include all partitions).
    2. Use the rescue disk to restore the image to the new disk.

Windows would not boot.
    3. Use a bootable Windows Repair flash disk to boot the machine into Windows Repair Mode.

The command RecoveryDrive.exe will create such a disk on a live Windows PC.
    4. Get Repair Mode to repair the boot-up process.

The Repair Mode reported that it was unable to repair the installation.
    5. Reboot normally. All was well!

Frederik Long, Dec 27, 2018
  4. topgundcp Win User

Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

Booting from Macrium Free clone… [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Dec 27, 2018
Thema:

1. Booting from Macrium Free clone… - Similar Threads - Booting Macrium Free

2. Problem Cloning HDD to SSD with Macrium Reflect Free

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problem Cloning HDD to SSD with Macrium Reflect Free: Hi Everyone! My new post today is a follow up from this thread where I had successfully cloned my Hard Disk Drive to an SSD Drive with the same capacity of 1 TB. However, this post isn't about my computer, as it's still working like a racehorse with the newly installed SSD....
  3. cloning with Macrium

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    cloning with Macrium: I am trying to clone a small drive in an old laptop to a larger drive for the extra storage I have used just a straight clone onto an unallocated disk , formatting the disk with exfat deleting the volumes so that the disk becomes empty and even tried it with the disk marked...
  4. cloning with Macrium

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cloning with Macrium: I am trying to clone a small drive in an old laptop to a larger drive for the extra storage I have used just a straight clone onto an unallocated disk , formatting the disk with exfat deleting the volumes so that the disk becomes empty and even tried it with the disk marked...
  5. Macrium USB boot to clone hard drive

Macrium USB boot to clone hard drive: Am using Macrium personal free version;I find it a great product. I use it to clone my laptop hard drive to a spare hard drive connected via USB in case laptop hard drive fail. Well I had a failure the other day in the laptop hard drive. It could boot but was somewhat non...
  6. Macrium USB boot to clone hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Macrium USB boot to clone hard drive: Am using Macrium personal free version;I find it a great product. I use it to clone my laptop hard drive to a spare hard drive connected via USB in case laptop hard drive fail. Well I had a failure the other day in the laptop hard drive. It could boot but was somewhat non...
  7. Free Macrium for Linux Imaging and restoring (Not cloning but imaging)

Free Macrium for Linux Imaging and restoring (Not cloning but imaging): Hi folks The standalone version of Free Macrium will backup and restore Linux systems -- but with a slight proviso you will probably have to re-generate the bootloader / grub on the first boot of the restored system. I'm specifying IMAGING the systems and not cloning them as...
  8. Booting from Macrium Free clone…

Booting from Macrium Free clone…: When I joined this forum it became obvious that Macrium was the software of choice for backing up so I have installed it and am doing my best to get it to run. Now what I want to do initially is to make a bootable clone. From the MF User Guide … I click on ‘clone this disk’...
  9. Does Macrium Free Do Disk Cloning?

Does Macrium Free Do Disk Cloning?: I have two identical 1T seagate drives and I am trying to clone from one to the other. One is the system disk with drives C: and E: on it - that's the source drive - and the other is a drive I've labelled 'J:' via Diskpart - that's the target drive. Previous attempts to...
  10. Macrium Reflect Free Cloning Question

Macrium Reflect Free Cloning Question: I'm a new user to Macrium but so far so good, I've cloned my laptop HDD to an external HDD with no problems. I also created a rescue usb drive. Now I'm intending to fit an SSD to my laptop so here's my question ...can I fit the "blank" SSD to my laptop then boot up with the...