Windows 10: Booting legit windows10 instance from my virtualBox on ubuntu

Discus and support Booting legit windows10 instance from my virtualBox on ubuntu in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Dear Microsoft Team, I have a dual-boot PC with a linux Ubuntu 18.04 (partition U1) and a Windows10 (partition W1) with a licence. I worked all the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by ManuelYguel, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Booting legit windows10 instance from my virtualBox on ubuntu

Dear Microsoft Team,

I have a dual-boot PC with a linux Ubuntu 18.04 (partition U1) and a Windows10 (partition W1) with a licence. I worked all the time with ubuntu and I am able to launch the system on W1 (the same windows10 than the one that I can boot from the dual boot) but from a virtualbox from ubuntu.

That is exactly the same OS, however Windows 10 complains all the time that my OS is not activated despite the fact that it is activated and legit.

When I try to activate-it it fails and when I try the trouble shooting procedure, all the possible choices lead to the same result: impossible to activate.

This is very annoying, since I paid for the product, I registered the product, it runs on the very computer it was activated on.

It should not complain that it is not activated.

What solution can you propose to me ?

:)

ManuelYguel, Nov 7, 2019

2. Legit Windows 10 in VirtualBox on Ubuntu - Activate?

Hello folks!

I am dual-booting Windows 10 and Ubuntu, and consequently have a properly activated Windows 10 installed on my PC.

Now, I'm working from home and my company requires that I keep this time-tracking app running while I work. It's a Windows app, but I work in Ubuntu. I need to find some solution to have it running while I do my work, and for that, I'd like to set up a Windows 10 virtual machine in which the app runs while I'm in Ubuntu.

Do you guys know whether I can just use my Windows 10 disc to install and activate Windows 10 in VirtualBox? Will it activate properly?

mrmatteastwood, Nov 7, 2019
  3. dcf-joe Win User
    dual boot xp and ubuntu

I had that problem a few months ago, but dual-booting is really easy. I am currently dual-booting Vista and Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron. Use this website here for a guide to dual-booting XP and Ubuntu: APC's December 2019 issue is on sale now! | TechRadar (I actually did not use this guide at all, but I did pretty much the same thing!)

If you are unable to get your boot working with this guide, reply to this message, and I will write out a step-by-step guide, but it will involve you already having a partition set out for XP (as in you are not already using your entire hard drive space for XP alone.) Even though I write the guide with experience from Vista, it will work with XP

dcf-joe, Nov 7, 2019
  4. lx07 Win User

Booting legit windows10 instance from my virtualBox on ubuntu

Dual boot Windows 10 & Ubuntu UEFI

You need to do 2 things.

First set your NVRAM to boot the Windows boot manager, not grub. Normally the last thing you installed (or upgraded) will try to grab it for itself. You can reset it in Windows by running bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \efi\microsoft\boot\bootmgfw.efi and note you may have to re-do this step if upgrading other OS as it will reset the path to \EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi or whatever (depending on your version).

See : BCD System Store Settings for UEFI | Microsoft Docs

Next you need to add a entry to the Windows boot list using bcdedit. This is described here : dual boot - I need to see the BCDedit for a windows10/ubuntu install both by wubi and by seperate partition - Ask Ubuntu

Make sure you use the path \EFI\ubuntu\shimx64.efi as this will work with both secure boot on or off. You can apparently use EasyUEFI to do this but I never found it very intuitive so gave up on it.

Personally I use rEFInd as a boot manager which will pick up Windows and most Linux installs (either EFI or legacy) without having to do anything.

lx07, Nov 7, 2019
Thema:

Booting legit windows10 instance from my virtualBox on ubuntu

1. Booting legit windows10 instance from my virtualBox on ubuntu - Similar Threads - Booting legit windows10

2. Ubuntu freezing or not starting in VirtualBox

in Windows 10 News
    Ubuntu freezing or not starting in VirtualBox: [ATTACH]Virtual Machines are like a gateway to enjoying multiple OSs on a single system. A Windows user can enjoy Linux, Mac, and other operating systems. However, a lot of users are complaining that Ubuntu is freezing in Oracle VirtualBox. We are going to resolve this issue...
  3. Dual boot Ubuntu with Windows10 already on it

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual boot Ubuntu with Windows10 already on it: I want to dual boot Win10 and Ubuntu, more precisley I want to install Ubuntu on my laptop that already has a Win10. I checked my system it's UEFI so Grub should work fine for swirching between the operating systems (I'm guessing at least). My question is there something to...
  4. Dual booted windows with ubuntu - Partition resize from ubuntu - Windows wont boot

Dual booted windows with ubuntu - Partition resize from ubuntu - Windows wont boot: Hi, I resize and moved partition where my windows boot was. Now I am unable to boot windows. Please help. Also, I would like to know the technical details of what happens and why it does not work. Thanks a lot! submitted by /u/last_iteration [link] [comments]...
  5. Should I switch from Ubuntu 18.04 to Windows10?

Should I switch from Ubuntu 18.04 to Windows10?: I just got a Dell laptop and it has Ubuntu pre-installed, and as much as I'm trying to like it, I still prefer Windows. Several of the applications in Windows just can't be found in Ubuntu and their substitutes are not as good. Now, I can't afford to buy the official version...
  6. System Service Exception on starting ubuntu in virtualbox

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System Service Exception on starting ubuntu in virtualbox: I'm trying to start an Ubuntu image on virtual-box but every time i click start the windows stops with an 'SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION' and a blue screen, attached is the link to a one drive folder containing my minidumps for the last 3 occurrences, kindly guide me to resolve...
  7. Install Windows10 from Ubuntu 18.04

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Install Windows10 from Ubuntu 18.04: Hi everyone, First of all, sorry for my english, it's not my native language, and i hope i'll be clear in my explanations. :) Recently, a friend of mine gave me a notebook, with Ubuntu 18.04 already installed on it. However, i want to replace it with Windows 10. So i bought...
  8. Install Windows10 from Ubuntu 18.04

in Windows 10 Support
    Install Windows10 from Ubuntu 18.04: Hi everyone, First of all, sorry for my english, it's not my native language, and i hope i'll be clear in my explanations. :) Recently, a friend of mine gave me a notebook, with Ubuntu 18.04 already installed on it. However, i want to replace it with Windows 10. So i bought...
  9. Installing Windows10 on VirtualBox virtual machine

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing Windows10 on VirtualBox virtual machine: Hi, I have created a virtual machine (using VirtualBox) on my Windows 10 Professional 10.0.17134.285 Surface Pro computer and would like to operate Windows 10 on that VM. (The purpose is to run Excel 64 bit within that machine. The physical machine is already running Excel...
  10. Legit Windows 10 in VirtualBox on Ubuntu - Activate?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Legit Windows 10 in VirtualBox on Ubuntu - Activate?: Hello folks! I am dual-booting Windows 10 and Ubuntu, and consequently have a properly activated Windows 10 installed on my PC. Now, I'm working from home and my company requires that I keep this time-tracking app running while I work. It's a Windows app, but I work in...